talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UEFA Consider Cap On Agent Fees

football forum

Uefa is considering imposing a cap on agents' fees following scrutiny of payments made to players' representatives.

It was found Premier League clubs paid £220m in agents' feesduring the 2016-17 season - an increase of 38%.

Alexis Sanchez's agent, Fernando Felicevich, received a reported £15m in the Chile international's recent transfer to Manchester United.

Uefa will consider a cap in a bid to "introduce more transparency".

Last summer, Jorge Mendes - Cristiano Ronaldo's agent - took a £7m cut of the transfer fee Manchester City paid for goalkeeper Ederson.

Mino Raiola was reported to have received £23m from Paul Pogba's move from Juventus to Manchester United in 2016 while Kia Joorabchian is rumoured to have received a substantial amount after brokering Philippe Coutinho's recent move to Barcelona from Liverpool.

Uefa confirmed in a statement its Professional Football Strategy Group, which consists of key stakeholders in European football, had endorsed a strategy to "shape policy change... by potentially adding a cap on fees, introducing more transparency/accountability, and appropriate sanctions in case of infringement of the rules".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42797542

Great job if you can get it

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/01/2018 at 13:17, SirBalon said:

Good direction to go in and the next step is a cap on transfer fees followed after that by a cap on wages.

I think something needs to be done. Football is becoming more and more predictable with the same teams winning respective leagues because of more financial muscle. Personaly I'd like some kind of rule where teams can only spend so much per window and it is adjusted for inflation.

1 minute ago, Kitchen Sales said:

A wage or transfer limit would have to be extremely low to have any meaningful effect. 

Not necessarily. If it was say £100 million. The top 6 in England could all afford it and it would be more even

No way a £100m transfer cap as that’s out of sorts with reality. People have become immune to all of this... £50m and I feel perverse with that and set the wage cap at £80k PW all over Europe.

All of this breaks free market rules which is why it can’t be implemented due to so many clubs being PLCs.

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

Or just scrap agents altogether because Footballers are grown men at the end of the day and should be able to negotiate a deal without their hand being held and profiting the bank accounts of people like Kia Joorabchian. 

One of the stupidest posts I've ever read.

Just now, Spike said:

Yours comes in second as it gives no reasoning, or any counterpoints. Quite literally shit post 4chan level.

Hey, second is better than first

Its a stupid post because the argument that they are grown men is borderline retarted. Most players in South America, Africa and even some from Europe didn't finish or even go to school - and they lie all the bloody time.

Just now, SirBalon said:

You won’t find many if any players or anyone not having gone to elementary school in Europe. But as for Latin America and Africa, that’s a whole different ball game.

Phil Neville, though.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Its a stupid post because the argument that they are grown men is borderline retarted. Most players in South America, Africa and even some from Europe didn't finish or even go to school - and they lie all the bloody time.

Neither did plenty of successful businessmen. Didn’t stop them from earning a very decent living. 

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

You won’t find many if any players or anyone not having gone to at least elementary school in Europe. But as for Latin America and Africa, that’s a whole different ball game.

That's why I said some in Europe. I'd say most players here in South America go to elementary as well, but finishing it is different and they are man children. They can barely handle themselves - never mind a negotiation

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Neither did plenty of successful businessmen. Didn’t stop them from earning a very decent living. 

Unlike them - footballers dedicate to playing football or doing whatever the hell they want. Not business FFS

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

You think people who didn’t finish school who went on the be successful in business studied business? You realise that you’ve just said that, don’t you? 

I edited it. My point was they dedicate to what they want to do.

I'm a terrible student and I'm still in college. I have a journalism job about 5 years before I've finished my career because I dedicate to that and not studying. Footballers can barely handle themselves, I'd doubt they'd be able to negotiate on their own.

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

There are rumours of the one the big Castilla alumni being illiterate. My bet is Carvajal. :o

I doubt that mate as it’s law and I’ve lived in Spain where the educational law is even more stringent than in the UK and works better.

Just now, SirBalon said:

I doubt that mate as it’s law and I’ve lived in Spain where the educational law is even more stringent than in the UK and works better.

I don't when the wtory comes straight from a Castilla graduate

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't when the wtory comes straight from a Castilla graduate

Remember that these players are tutored at their respective clubs in their academies by the best teachers mate.  Look at Iniesta who comes from a diminutive Castilla La Mancha village and went to university.  As for other alumni away from football’s riches, well as I said, it’s law and in the respect of education, the law is very strict in Spain.

32 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm pretty certain there is lots of paper work and plus agents have more contacts.  I doubt footballers without agents would work in the modern world. I mean you can't really let a laymen handle multi million Pound contracts

Just now, SirBalon said:

Remember that these players are tutored at their respective clubs in their academies by the best teachers mate.  Look at Iniesta who comes from a diminutive Castillo La Mancha village and went to university.  As for other alumni away from football’s riches, well as I said, it’s law and in the respect of education, the law is very strict in Spain.

It a direct source though, I even showed it to you before

Archived