talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UEFA Consider Cap On Agent Fees

football forum

Just now, Blue said:

I edited it. My point was they dedicate to what they want to do.

I'm a terrible student and I'm still in college. I have a journalism job about 5 years before I've finished my career because I dedicate to that and not studying. Footballers can barely handle themselves, I'd doubt they'd be able to negotiate on their own.

Football doesn’t last forever and unless you’re lucky enough to play in one of the big leagues across the world, of which there aren’t many and thus, the chances of making it in one and earning enough to not have to worry about work or the boring stuff like bills and mortgages are slim, the chances are, you’re going to have to work at some point in your life, whether that’s before, during or after your playing career, or in most cases, all three. 

If they are not sharing their time between Football and something outside of the game that brings in an income and allows them to build a family and have a relatively stable life, I sympathise with them. It’s a poor choice, if you ask me, but that’s my opinion and some would question that.

Maybe that’s part of the problem in this country. Football clubs pick up children as young as 5 and 6 and then for them, whether that’s their own decision or that of their parents, Football becomes their life till their anywhere between 16-18. For most, and it’s publicised in numerous articles in the UK, they are let go by their club between those ages above and because they’ve solely concentrated on the pipe dream of a short lived career in Football, they have nothing to fall back on. 

Anyway, I’m digressing, but I think it’s irresponsible, as Emmanuel Eboue’s current situation has proven, not to have some sort of control on your negotiations and your finances if you are a Footballer and I really don’t see why, unless you’re a Messi or a top player who’s got sponsorships, affiliations and all sorts of money making deals around you, you’d need/want an agent. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

It a direct source though, I even showed it to you before

That’s got to be an anomaly though.  You’d that with Carvajal’s massive Teflon forehead he’d at least be literate.  How did he get through Real’s educational system?

10 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Football doesn’t last forever and unless you’re lucky enough to play in one of the big leagues across the world, of which there aren’t many and thus, the chances of making it in one and earning enough to not have to worry about work or the boring stuff like bills and mortgages are slim, the chances are, you’re going to have to work at some point in your life, whether that’s before, during or after your playing career, or in most cases, all three. 

If they are not sharing their time between Football and something outside of the game that brings in an income and allows them to build a family and have a relatively stable life, I sympathise with them. It’s a poor choice, if you ask me, but that’s my opinion and some would question that.

Maybe that’s part of the problem in this country. Football clubs pick up children as young as 5 and 6 and then for them, whether that’s their own decision or that of their parents, Football becomes their life till their anywhere between 16-18. For most, and it’s publicised in numerous articles in the UK, they are let go by their club between those ages above and because they’ve solely concentrated on the pipe dream of a short lived career in Football, they have nothing to fall back on. 

Anyway, I’m digressing, but I think it’s irresponsible, as Emmanuel Eboue’s current situation has proven, not to have some sort of control on your negotiations and your finances if you are a Footballer and I really don’t see why, unless you’re a Messi or a top player who’s got sponsorships, affiliations and all sorts of money making deals around you, you’d need/want an agent. 

I'll tell you something - I've never actually worked with a footballer before but I've worked with Scouts who have and they've told me that footballers are hell to work with. That they don't enjoy it because they are very irresponsible as you mentioned, and often can't be trusted because they lie all the time.

Agents are trained and that's why they are needed in the modern game. Especially with all the money that is thrown around and homesickness as well as marketing the player. Its not just negotiations. I had a chat with Pier Larrauri's agent (ex Leicester) the other day for example who told me more than what I already knew.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

That’s got to be an anomaly though.  You’d that with Carvajal’s massive Teflon forehead he’d at least be literate.  How did he get through Real’s educational system?

I sent you the article months ago. But it stated there was a 'bearded young man, at the back of the class surrounded by peers some years his junior'. It also stated that while education was a necessity by the time class started the kids were already exhausted from morning practices, and hwile the standards of educstion was high kids didn't really learn. It was really about tearing down the façade.

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

I sent you the article months ago. But it stated there was a 'bearded young man, at the back of the class surrounded by peers some years his junior'. It also stated that while education was a necessity by the time class started the kids were already exhausted from morning practices, and hwile the standards of educstion was high kids didn't really learn. It was really about tearing down the façade.

Send it to me again mate please... ;)

1 hour ago, Kitchen Sales said:

£100m transfer fees or wage bill? 

I think if there was a limit of 100 million on transfers over a season it could make football more interesting. 6 teams in England could afford that. Other teams could possibly get to that level. Not sure about how much I would put a wage cap at. I think it would need a lot of planning and I think to be fair it would partly have to be linked to your outgoing players and it would have to be adjusted for inflation but personally I would like to see that or something similar done. I think something will be done one day but it might be ten years away unfortunately. Someone I know who use to be a financial writer says football will have a massive crash one day if something isn't done.

16 minutes ago, Danny said:

With the amount of money in the game you need an agent to maximise your earnings or potential transfers. The average football would not be able to demand what their agents can because they don't know how.

Players outside of the major leagues do not need agents.

Just now, Danny said:

Have you seen how much money you can earn in the Championship?

I'm not sure there's any correlation between how much money a person can potentially earn and whether or not they should be educated/smart enough/interested enough to be interested in their own personal finances. 

Most footballers the World over do not need agents. I imagine that England is the country with the highest number of clubs who have to work with agents. Players as far down as the sixth, maybe even seventh, tier of Football in the UK are represented by agents, I really don't see why the majority are. For the majority of Footballers in the World, the chances of earning vast amounts of money in one of the highest paying leagues in the World. 

13 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I'm not sure there's any correlation between how much money a person can potentially earn and whether or not they should be educated/smart enough/interested enough to be interested in their own personal finances. 

Most footballers the World over do not need agents. I imagine that England is the country with the highest number of clubs who have to work with agents. Players as far down as the sixth, maybe even seventh, tier of Football in the UK are represented by agents, I really don't see why the majority are. For the majority of Footballers in the World, the chances of earning vast amounts of money in one of the highest paying leagues in the World. 

Its not just money though - these agents need marketing skills too. 

A young player from Nepal will need a bloody good agent to go abroad because by himself, nobody will want to scout there.

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think if there was a limit of 100 million on transfers over a season it could make football more interesting. 6 teams in England could afford that. Other teams could possibly get to that level. Not sure about how much I would put a wage cap at. I think it would need a lot of planning and I think to be fair it would partly have to be linked to your outgoing players and it would have to be adjusted for inflation but personally I would like to see that or something similar done. I think something will be done one day but it might be ten years away unfortunately. Someone I know who use to be a financial writer says football will have a massive crash one day if something isn't done.

There are so many econonic pitfalls it would do quite a lot of financial damage. The game is international now so its a lost cause. 

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

No way a £100m transfer cap as that’s out of sorts with reality. People have become immune to all of this... £50m and I feel perverse with that and set the wage cap at £80k PW all over Europe.

All of this breaks free market rules which is why it can’t be implemented due to so many clubs being PLCs.

I have a feeling single market rules blocking it could be a myth. Bankers bonuses were capped a few years ago and there are salary caps in English and French Rugby.

The real issue is that economically caps are a simplistic way to deal with a complex environment, you'd simply be replacing one set of problems with another in the false pursuit of utopia.

Archived