talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who Will Win the World Cup Golden Ball?

football forum

For me, I think Messi, Sane, Neymar, and Pepe have the best shot.

Pepe won't win it but in other terms, I think he'll be huge for Portugal again, should they go far.

I also think James isn't out of it either. Colombia aren't very good this time around but I'd still take them over England and Belgium. I fancy their chances to reach the quarter finals again, should they make it out of the group. Still somewhat undecided on that.

Miranda will also be massive, but like Pepe I doubt he'll win it.

Your two cents?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Pepe xD 

why mention him if in the 2nd line you say 'Pepe won't win it...'

Probably should have mentioned him in a different line, but I do think he'll be one of the best players in the world cup. Just like I thought Yepes was one of the 5 best in 2014, just because he's a defender, he won't win it.

He plays in midfield for us which is his natural position and he does excellently. He's been good in CB for Feyenoord but for me he needs to be in the CM position to utilize his talent to the max. At CB he has found himself exposed at times.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

He plays in midfield for us which is his natural position and he does excellently. He's been good in CB for Feyenoord but for me he needs to be in the CM position to utilize his talent to the max. At CB he has found himself exposed at times.

Feyenoords style is different to a possession based style to like Ajax and Barcelona, in the past they have played midfielders in defence, it is something Johan Cruyff started as his vision was that best way to defend was to keep the ball, this has been adapted ever since. 

Just now, VanPaddy said:

Feyenoords style is different to a possession based style to like Ajax and Barcelona, in the past they have played midfielders in defence, it is something Johan Cruyff started as his vision was that best way to defend was to keep the ball, this has been adapted ever since. 

Interesting, that explains a lot then. To be fair he has done well enough, but I'm just a bit concerned about some of the mistakes he can make. He's stretching his versatility at least. He'll be great at the world cup, I'm sure of it.

Just now, VanPaddy said:

Feyenoord play a more direct style, if Tapia was in Barcelona he be the best in the World.

Tapia definitely has world class potential. The only other Peruvian I see this in is Miguel Trauco and possibly Pedro Aquino.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Interesting, that explains a lot then. To be fair he has done well enough, but I'm just a bit concerned about some of the mistakes he can make. He's stretching his versatility at least. He'll be great at the world cup, I'm sure of it.

Gio is trying to change the style a bit at Feyenoord as they have lost a few players from their title winning team, so mistakes and weakness will show for now,  in the future all players will be suited and Tapia will be the star a bit like Mascherano at Barcelona when he dropped in defence for Barcelona. 

Just now, VanPaddy said:

Tapia will be the star a bit like Mascherona at Barcelona when he dropped in defence for Barcelona. 

This particular bit is spot on, I didn't even think about that.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

This particular bit is spot on, I didn't even think about that.

In holland it happens alot,  Koeman dropped into defence, Rijkaard as well.  I really think Tapia will be that star when he gets a few years older and wiser. 

Just now, VanPaddy said:

In holland it happens alot,  Koeman dropped into defence, Rijkaard as well.  I really think Tapia will be that star when he gets a few years older and wiser. 

Good pair of arguments. I was always on the fence between who is better: Aquino or Tapia, but if what you're saying is true (and I trust your opinion) then Tapia definitely has potential to go further and become one of the greatest players this country has seen.

Personally I think Tapia is off after the World Cup. Have we had other Peruvians in Holland? There is Tapia and Farfan, while Beto Da Silva was still too young and Manco was just his usual self.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Good pair of arguments. I was always on the fence between who is better: Aquino or Tapia, but if what you're saying is true (and I trust your opinion) then Tapia definitely has potential to go further and become one of the greatest players this country has seen.

Personally I think Tapia is off after the World Cup. Have we had other Peruvians in Holland? There is Tapia and Farfan, while Beto Da Silva was still too young and Manco was just his usual self.

No just Farfan, Manco both for PSV and Tapia from Twente, Feyenoord.

2 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

No just Farfan, Manco both for PSV and Tapia from Twente, Feyenoord.

Beto Da Silva too but I'm not sure if he had his debut for PSV:

Manco is playing for Union Comercio now. He was once tipped to go as far as James Rodriguez. One made it, the other didn't xD

Just now, Blue said:

Manco is playing for Union Comercio now. He was once tipped to go as far as James Rodriguez. One made it, the other didn't xD

Beto Da Silva  never played only for Jong PSV

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Ajax were after Edison Flores but they signed David Neres instead.

Just now, VanPaddy said:

Ajax were after Edison Flores but they signed David Neres instead.

David Neres will be better than Edison, but its a close one. Both are superb talents. 

The most logical options would be to go for Messi or Neymar given that they are the 2 stand out (attacking) players in the world right now. They are the 2 to watch, although football is a team game and it'll also depend on their teams helping them. Both of their countries(Argentina and Brazil) relied on them far too much in the last world cup and they need more help. But it doesn't always go to the players you would expect it to. The player of the tournament would also have to reach at least the semi-finals, so it would also depend on that.

I would actually go for Neymar myself, because like I said, I've got a feeling that this is Brazil's tournament. They have a very balanced side and will be angry after what happened to them 4 years ago. Argentina, on the other hand, looked shite in the qualifiers and if it wasn't for Messi, they wouldn't even be going to this world cup. That is a worry for them, although they have managed to reach the final in the last 3 tournaments they have participated in so they can't be ruled out to go on and do the same again. It's also got to be noted that they only just scraped through the qualifiers the last time they won in 1986, after a late goal from Peru's current manager, Ricardo Gareca aka el Flaco. Ironically it was actually against Peru as well, but we are going off topic there.

Brazil vs Argentina would potentially be the greatest final I've ever witnessed at international level if it was to occur. It would be great to see.

Archived