talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who Will Win the World Cup Golden Ball?

football forum

On 2/5/2018 at 11:49, The Rebel CRS said:

The most logical options would be to go for Messi or Neymar given that they are the 2 stand out (attacking) players in the world right now. They are the 2 to watch, although football is a team game and it'll also depend on their teams helping them. Both of their countries(Argentina and Brazil) relied on them far too much in the last world cup and they need more help. But it doesn't always go to the players you would expect it to. The player of the tournament would also have to reach at least the semi-finals, so it would also depend on that.

I would actually go for Neymar myself, because like I said, I've got a feeling that this is Brazil's tournament. They have a very balanced side and will be angry after what happened to them 4 years ago. Argentina, on the other hand, looked shite in the qualifiers and if it wasn't for Messi, they wouldn't even be going to this world cup. That is a worry for them, although they have managed to reach the final in the last 3 tournaments they have participated in so they can't be ruled out to go on and do the same again. It's also got to be noted that they only just scraped through the qualifiers the last time they won in 1986, after a late goal from Peru's current manager, Ricardo Gareca aka el Flaco. Ironically it was actually against Peru as well, but we are going off topic there.

Brazil vs Argentina would potentially be the greatest final I've ever witnessed at international level if it was to occur. It would be great to see.

Neymar, Jesus, Coutinho, and Costa vs Messi, Dybala, Higuain, and Icardi/Aguero

Jizz

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It's a shame for Argentina that Messi and Batistuta weren't playing at the same time. That would have been some pair.

It’s a shame many players in the past of Argentina aren’t playing in Messi’s time mate.

10 hours ago, Spike said:

That is why i said Michy Batshuayi. He'll probably score 7 unimportant goals that still lead to Belgium tumbling out in the second round.

This is the golden ball though mate(for best player) rather than the golden boot, which is for the top scorer.

If we look at the winners since I've been born:-

1986: Maradona(Argentina)

1990: Schillaci(Italy)

1994: Romario(Brazil)

1998: Ronaldo(Brazil)

2002: Oliver Kahn(Germany)

2006: Zidane(France)

2010: Forlan(Uruguay)

2014: Messi(Argentina)

These aren't really unexpected.

5 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

This is the golden ball though mate(for best player) rather than the golden boot, which is for the top scorer.

If we look at the winners since I've been born:-

1986: Maradona(Argentina)

1990: Schillaci(Italy)

1994: Romario(Brazil)

1998: Ronaldo(Brazil)

2002: Oliver Kahn(Germany)

2006: Zidane(France)

2010: Forlan(Uruguay)

2014: Messi(Argentina)

These aren't really unexpected.

True, looks like we were both posting on the wrong thread! xD

On 05/02/2018 at 17:49, The Rebel CRS said:

Brazil vs Argentina would potentially be the greatest final I've ever witnessed at international level if it was to occur. It would be great to see.

Really? They've played each other in qualifiers and Argentina have been fortunate to qualify. 

7 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Really? They've played each other in qualifiers and Argentina have been fortunate to qualify. 

It's about the occasion mate, it's a genuine true rivalry on the international scene and it'd be a brilliant fixture.

A final would be completely different to a qualifier or Copa America final. Then again, it would have been better had it occurred in the last World Cup with it being in South America.

My 2 favourite international rivalries are Peru vs Chile (obviously) and Argentina vs Uruguay. Personally could not care about Brazil vs Argentina as it overshadows how important Argentina vs Uruguay has been + the 2 nations are very similar in culture, where as Brazil and Argentina are completely different.

7 hours ago, Blue said:

My 2 favourite international rivalries are Peru vs Chile (obviously) and Argentina vs Uruguay. Personally could not care about Brazil vs Argentina as it overshadows how important Argentina vs Uruguay has been + the 2 nations are very similar in culture, where as Brazil and Argentina are completely different.

Each to their own mate. You probably know more about south American football than anyone on here but I imagine most people we would prefer to see Brazil v Argentina.

• 5 months later...

Archived