The better place to talk football.

Gary Madine to Cardiff

football forum

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The topic was unpinned
4 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

It's apparently an overall total with add ons etc if this is true.

Either way, I would rather have pushed the boat out for Grabban much more than Madine if we're paying anything of that sort.

Him and Warnock had a falling out when they were at Palace. I imagine Warnock would be willing to amend bridges but I'm not sure if it's in Grabban's character.

If I was him I would have eyed up Millwall as a long term club, but he's got a fantastic opportunity at Villa now.

9 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Him and Warnock had a falling out when they were at Palace. I imagine Warnock would be willing to amend bridges but I'm not sure if it's in Grabban's character.

If I was him I would have eyed up Millwall as a long term club, but he's got a fantastic opportunity at Villa now.

That makes sense, though I still think for £6m total, we could have looked elsewhere.

@StefBWFC is going to be very upset.

He's not what I would want up front but I think he's a better fit for Cardiff than people think.

They play horrible, gritty, direct football which Madine is primed for. He will do the ugly stuff up top, he will graft, he will bully defenders, win headers and get flick ons.

He is a Warnock player and may surprise a few I think.

In the eyes of the many commenters on this move, Cardiff have paid over the odds for a thuggish carthorse with limited ability. 

But then let's dissect a bit - Warnock has historically played direct, he's always liked a target man. Madine has been sculpted in the past 18 months into a weak, cumbersome striker into one that wins every aerial and ground physical challenge, and pretty much has a massive X on his chest for 90 minutes a week. 

I think many people who don't watch Bolton see that Madine has had his off-field issues, isn't a big name and have immediately gone 'lol he's shit'. Believe me, he was, but he's in ridiculous form. If Warnock has a predatory goalscorer capable finding space and playing off him, they'll do very well, and £6m will feel like a bargain.

Equally, we've just gained £6m over the next couple of years, which will genuinely help keep the club solvent, what with its lingering cash flow issues. It's sad that it won't be reinvested with cash purchases on players, but we simply can't do that, which is why we've plundered the loan market.

Parkinson's task now is to either find a replacement on the freebie market (6ft plus Michel Kramer of Feyenoord has just been made available), or change tactics to suit the fairly astute loan signings (including Zach Clough, who is a microbe requiring nice balls to feet, and has clearly been signef to appease the fanbase).

Sink or swim for us now, I said if we lost Madine we would drop. But then, he is simply having a purple patch,and of we dropped, we'd be able to sell for maybe a third of that. Huge gamble this. 

Archived