talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pogba overrated?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massively, he has clear ability but the money they paid was ridiculous. No way in hell was he worthy of the world record fee and there is a good amount of midfielders I'd have happily taken over him. The thing that stands out for me is I've never seen him take control of a game and he goes missing in all his big ones. I think he'll have a decent career, but he will never live up to the price-tag.

You'll see me copy and paste this a lot....

Goes missing, can't string 2 fucking passes together, gets chucked off the ball by players 1/2 his size, misses point blank headers and shots with regularity, wanders around the pitch like a headless chicken with zero direction, more interested in getting videos viral and dabbing like a cunt than being a decent footballer.

Did all of the above tonight. Must have a fit to play clause in his contract because he needs dropping.

Head first.

Off a tall building.

He can't help his price, he's a very good footballer. I think it's all a bit too much for him at the moment, kingpin in a massively expensive team but one lacking in real quality. Plus he's got a manager who reverts to long ball nearly every game, get a player the quality of Pirlo behind him and let him roam forward.

Not many are rated correctly if they're going for £90m and that's not something I blame him for because he didn't decide the transfer fee, he's not even worth half that imo.

The real question is - Is he good?

Still feel he's been massively let down in the system he's playing in. Put him in our side and he would be excelling, especially next to Kante and with a manager who knows how he wants his side to play. 

Haha, I think it was generally agreed at the time of him signing for United that the club were suffering with their fallen identity and for some reason, of which only they can answer too, they felt the need to flex their financial muscles to show all they still had it.  9_9

I always allow players who come from overseas one full season to acclimatize to the Premier League as it truly is a whole different ball game to the rest of the world leagues.   

Up to now I cant bash him. He is in a MUCH weaker side than Juventus and I am not sure his manager knows where best to play him or does not have the personnel to allow him to get the best out of Pogba. What can be said is, up to now you would be disappointed if you had paid 50M, so the price he came for must have many a person at United fearing the worst.

He may well turn out to be wonderful next season, a Yaya with legs or even the new box to box Patrick Vieira, bossing games in the middle of the park.

I hate to see young players fail, so I hope things get better for him.

• Subscriber

Over-rated is probably not a fair term because how long can a player be over-rated for? If everyone's calling him over-rated then he's not really over-rated is he.

Over-priced, for sure. I get that it's a big signing and that he's got years ahead of him but for what they paid you've got to want a return pretty quickly. I don't see any particular eye-catching quality about him. He may come good eventually but he looks no more than a £20mil player at the minute.

But I'm not surprised either. The whole signing was utterly grotesque and pandered to the "global audience" or whatever buzz-term's doing the rounds now rather than his actual ability or use to their team. Not that I blame Pogba himself for that.

• Administrator

He's been bang average for France for years, mostly because he's struggled to adapt to any formation other than a 3-5-2. Playing left of the midfield 3 at Juve he had certain license to roam as he saw fit and it didn't expose them defensively given how good that midfield and defense was.

For France he's an eternal ball ache of annoyance. Tactically he's naive as fuck. Deschamps had to make numerous alterations to accommodate him effectively and even then he goes missing in matches. What frustrates me is that he doesn't deliver when it matters. Payet stole the show at the Euro's whereas Pogba had two good games all tournament in my eyes. 

• Subscriber

I never saw what the big deal with Pogba was to be honest. Yes, he'll turn up with the great pass or the shot on the goal that will be spectacular but I think in this current setup he's just failed to deliver. Even at the Euros (as Batard mentions) he went missing and a player like Payet literally shone. Having said all that if he works best in a formation other than what hes playing in then the manager should try and accommodate or fashion something similar to get the best out him? I don't see that happening anytime soon but if they want their investment to start performing then it should start happening soon enough because I can't see how he's helping United in any way.

I see the transfer fee paid comes up a lot in this argument when it happens but United didn't pay £89m for Pogba the player, they paid that figure for Pogba the brand and regardless of what his performances have been like, United will have recovered their outgoing on Pogba multiple times with all the merchandise sales, advertising rights and all the other rubbish that comes with high end Football these days. 

Pogba was one of those players most people in this country only saw vines of him scoring a goal from 45 yards or was someone they played as on FIFA before he actually signed for United and because they were led to believe he was the best thing since sliced bread because FIFA told them so, they're disappointed that he's not at that level over here. 

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Cicero said:

Still feel he's been massively let down in the system he's playing in. Put him in our side and he would be excelling, especially next to Kante and with a manager who knows how he wants his side to play. 

This is spot on.

Archived