talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pogba overrated?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pogba simply isn't being played correctly and the team itself isn't playing confident football which certainly doesn't help a talented player.  In saying this, he was overrated to begin with but only in the scope of all the hooh-hah being generated by the press which is where the price tag and media focus on him is holding him back in my view.

The problem is that because he's a 90 mil midfielder people expect him to boss whole games like a world class player in his position normally should - Kroos, Thiago, Silva, Verratti etc.

But the thing is he isn't a controller-type player. He's more of a flair player. He comes up with moments of brilliance when he's backed up by a physically, tactically and technically excellent midfield around him - Pirlo, Vidal, Marchisio, for example.

He had very little responsibility except to make things happen now and then in and around the box, or on the break when he had lot of space to work with. Defensively, he often only needed to track the opposition right back.

Now he's the most expensive player in the world and people expect him to take games by the scruff of the neck, when at Juve his teammates did that for him.

United have paid 90 mil for some gold rims, without having bought the car first.

I could be completely wrong, but that price was deliberately hiked up to look sensational, so that Manchester united, Pogba and Adidas could create waves everywhere to grab everyone's attention, and thereby raise their profiles. For Manchester United it was more of retaining their profile as a super big club, especially after the departure of Alex Ferguson and the whole talk of them struggling. Look at us, we can splash serious cash despite being out of USL, the move seemed to say. It also made sense marketing wise, as well.

As for Pogba, he is definitely not a 90 mil player and neither does he have the potential to ever be a 90 mil player. But he is still a really good player, someone who deserves to be in a top or league winning side. In the longer run he might be a decent signing for United and might produce an odd fantastic year.

He looked excellent in a very good Juventus midfield, but it's clear he's not the kind of midfielder that will consistently dominate the midfield by himself. He's probably still a good player in the right system, but for the price they paid you'd expect more really. Getting the simple stuff wrong is the sign of a player totally out of confidence though. He may come good still.

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

The problem is that because he's a 90 mil midfielder people expect him to boss whole games like a world class player in his position normally should - Kroos, Thiago, Silva, Verratti etc.

But the thing is he isn't a controller-type player. He's more of a flair player. He comes up with moments of brilliance when he's backed up by a physically, tactically and technically excellent midfield around him - Pirlo, Vidal, Marchisio, for example.

He had very little responsibility except to make things happen now and then in and around the box, or on the break when he had lot of space to work with. Defensively, he often only needed to track the opposition right back.

Now he's the most expensive player in the world and people expect him to take games by the scruff of the neck, when at Juve his teammates did that for him.

United have paid 90 mil for some gold rims, without having bought the car first.

You can be a flare player and also be consistently boss in your position though, the two aren't really mutually exclusive and with that price, I think that's what United expected. I do think you're right he's a player that can shine... with a solid midfielder around him. Juventus was a well built team with an excellent midfield, as you said.

2 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Literally every game he miskicks the ball in a goal scoring opportunity. For the money they've paid he's been shite.

This. He misses opportunities that league one players would score. I'll be fucked if I'm having this 'wrong position, wrong formation' bullshit as a whole exscuse because he's been utter bollocks no matter what the circumstance. Formations don't make you miss chances, miscontrol balls, unable to pass or get taken off the ball by smaller players. He's well below the required standard no matter what and never puts a shift in. Unacceptable and you genuinely can't understand the frustration unless you watch this clown week in and out for 90 minutes.

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

This. He misses opportunities that league one players would score. I'll be fucked if I'm having this 'wrong position, wrong formation' bullshit as a whole exscuse because he's been utter bollocks no matter what the circumstance. Formations don't make you miss chances, miscontrol balls, unable to pass or get taken off the ball by smaller players. He's well below the required standard no matter what and never puts a shift in. Unacceptable and you genuinely can't understand the frustration unless you watch this clown week in and out for 90 minutes.

This. As I've already said, he's been largely dogshit for France as well. If the only way to get the best out of Pogba is to play 3-5-2 weighted with great players in midfield alongisde him surely that raises some alarm bells around limitations? If it doesn't it should. 

19 hours ago, Cicero said:

Still feel he's been massively let down in the system he's playing in. Put him in our side and he would be excelling, especially next to Kante and with a manager who knows how he wants his side to play. 

This, exactly my thoughts... it's Mourinho ffs that's killing his game, no movement in the team and then you've got a 35 year old striker that doesn't make runs so Pogba can make forward passes :|

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

Torres was the same for Chelsea and I remember a lot of people saying he doesn't suit the system and way we played which was true to some extent but regardless of that his first touch was awful and he couldn't even do the simple things well enough.

Either way, I don't think Mourinho is getting the best out of the team and (if you take away the ridiculous price tag), Pogba's situation reminds me of Mourinho and Cesc Fabregas. 

48 minutes ago, Spike said:

A midfielder really should never be as lazy as Pogba or Ozil. It's helpful to the team in no way, it creates pockets of space, isolates the forwards and pressures the defence.

Pogba as lazy as Ozil? really? no way man.

1 minute ago, robosys said:

Pogba as lazy as Ozil? really? no way man.

Ozil runs over 10km per game. I was more inferring the fact they are both passengers that don't take an active part in most matches. Perhaps, 'invisible' is a better word.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Ozil runs over 10km per game. I was more inferring the fact they are both passengers that don't take an active part in most matches. Perhaps, 'invisible' is a better word.

Watch the video above then tell me if he's a passenger or Mourinho is dude ruining him

12 minutes ago, robosys said:

Watch the video above then tell me if he's a passenger or Mourinho is dude ruining him

I'm not fifteen year-old FIFA player. I'm not going to be impressed by a cherry-picked montage. It takes two to tango, Pogba is playing poorly and Mourinho isn't helping. Neither is sole to blame. Mourinho isn't the man out on the field making poor decisions, failing passes, missing shots and otherwise being a a detriment to the team. Mourinho may influence that but he isn't the cause of it, Pogba only has himself to look at.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

If all Pogba had to show for the entire 14/15 season is a twenty-four minute video of highlights then ManUtd were definitely fleeced xD. A season is a lot longer than twenty-four minutes.

15/16 season before he came to united, he did more than that but that's just a highlight showing the strength of his game, I agree he's been shite but can only go up from here on.

Just now, robosys said:

15/16 season before he came to united, he did more than that but that's just a highlight showing the strength of his game, I agree he's been shite but can only go up from here on.

Did he now? Care to contextualise what exactly he did? Incorrect. He can stagnate or become worse.

Has to do with the balance of the squad as well. Is there anyone in the United side to actually talk to him about this? Pretty sure if Roy Keane was still around he'd be giving him a rough time. 

When Ola Aina was up till nearly midnight on Instagram with training the next morning, both Azpilicueta and Courtois gave him a talking to. 

Archived