talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pogba overrated?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Spike said:

Did he now? Care to contextualise what exactly he did? Incorrect. He can stagnate or become worse.

He's been in the midfield that won Seria A since 2012 and he was in champions league final recently, he played his part in that team... would give him till next season to sort himself out though.

Just now, robosys said:

He's been in the midfield that won Seria A since 2012 and he was in champions league final recently, he played his part in that team... would give him till next season to sort himself out though.

You watched John O'Shea do the same with the Premier League and Champions League. That's a weak argument, especially when arguing the abilities of an individual in a team sport.

• Subscriber

He will improve and come good. I'm bored of the talk around him to be honest, I know that's what happens with the price tag. But surely nobody was expecting miracles from Mourinho's first season at United? I believe United and Pogba will be a lot better next season. 

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

You watched John O'Shea do the same with the Premier League and Champions League. That's a weak argument, especially when arguing the abilities of an individual in a team sport.

It isn't a weak argument, Pogba is a good player and has the potential to become one of the best midfielders of his generation, if handled by a coach who has an eye for his talent, he would go on to show them... heck he can take free kicks, he's got stamina, strength, vision, composure, eye for goal etc he's having a tough time and the team he's currently in isn't helping, like I said I'd give him time.

3 minutes ago, robosys said:

It isn't a weak argument, Pogba is a good player and has the potential to become one of the best midfielders of his generation, if handled by a coach who has an eye for his talent, he would go on to show them... heck he can take free kicks, he's got stamina, strength, vision, composure, eye for goal etc he's having a tough time and the team he's currently in isn't helping, like I said I'd give him time.

Mourinho is not the man to take him to that level. 

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

This. He misses opportunities that league one players would score. I'll be fucked if I'm having this 'wrong position, wrong formation' bullshit as a whole exscuse because he's been utter bollocks no matter what the circumstance. Formations don't make you miss chances, miscontrol balls, unable to pass or get taken off the ball by smaller players. He's well below the required standard no matter what and never puts a shift in. Unacceptable and you genuinely can't understand the frustration unless you watch this clown week in and out for 90 minutes.

Seeing him play against Chelsea yesterday made me think. Fergie was right. Kante and Matic dominated him and every time Pogba got the ball he lost it. That goal could have been stopped by him. He was right next to it and with a tackle would've cleared it no problem. But he just gave some half-arsed lift of the foot and you lost. You might as well have been down to nine men because he did nothing. Mourinho trying to justify his performance by saying he was the best player on the pitch and 'like a giant' was just stupid. I felt sorry for you.

1 minute ago, Cure said:

Seeing him play against Chelsea yesterday made me think. Fergie was right. Kante and Matic dominated him and every time Pogba got the ball he lost it. That goal could have been stopped by him. He was right next to it and with a tackle would've cleared it no problem. But he just gave some half-arsed lift of the foot and you lost. You might as well have been down to nine men because he did nothing. Mourinho trying to justify his performance by saying he was the best player on the pitch and 'like a giant' was just stupid. I felt sorry for you.

What Mourinho said about Pogba is something you'll see in every club anywhere in the world. He has done nothing different to any coach in this respect. What did we expect... For him to rip into one of his underperforming players? How would that help anyone. 

41 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Whe

25 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

He will improve and come good. I'm bored of the talk around him to be honest, I know that's what happens with the price tag. But surely nobody was expecting miracles from Mourinho's first season at United? I believe United and Pogba will be a lot better next season. 

25 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Miracles? He has the most expensive squad of all time at his disposal, he should competing for the title but instead they are floundering around in 6th. He's done the worst job out of any of the big managers this season, arguably excluding Wenger. On top of that the style is awful, lump it up long for the most part. Any other manager and club would be being absolutely hammered for how poorly he's done.

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Miracles? He has the most expensive squad of all time at his disposal, he should competing for the title but instead they are floundering around in 6th. He's done the worst job out of any of the big managers this season, arguably excluding Wenger. On top of that the style is awful, lump it up long for the most part. Any other manager and club would be being absolutely hammered for how poorly he's done.

But Wenger was doing very well with Arsenal earlier on in the season. Arsenal seem to do this regularly, strong start and then a dip in their form. United have consitently been around the same position and as you say having the most expensive squad in the world right now doesn't do them justice. Mind you it was the club who chose to invest £89m into Pogba. They didn't have to but that's what they valued him at. Considering Real Madrid and Barcelona were unwilling to pay so much for him I feel United may have stumped up so much to prove a point. Either way he's not taken the league by storm as Mourinho probably hoped he would.

1 hour ago, robosys said:

This, exactly my thoughts... it's Mourinho ffs that's killing his game, no movement in the team and then you've got a 35 year old striker that doesn't make runs so Pogba can make forward passes :|

How does Mourinho give him a dogshit first touch? How does Mourinho fluff his chances in front of goal? How does Mourinho make him gift the ball to the opposition with terrible passes? How does Mourinho make him get levered off the ball by players 1/2 his size? How does Mourinho make him lazy?

He's showing zero game at the moment. Tactics have a part to play but you're absolving him of blame by throwing Mourinho under the bus.

46 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

How does Mourinho give him a dogshit first touch? How does Mourinho fluff his chances in front of goal? How does Mourinho make him gift the ball to the opposition with terrible passes? How does Mourinho make him get levered off the ball by players 1/2 his size? How does Mourinho make him lazy?

He's showing zero game at the moment. Tactics have a part to play but you're absolving him of blame by throwing Mourinho under the bus.

Pogba has been crappy since he signed for Utd no doubt but I'd say give him time once again.

He is a very good player, but massively overrated in my opinion. It seems to be more about the 'Pogba brand' rather than improving his football. Other than the team sheet yesterday you wouldn't have known he was playing and someone who costs what he did should be influencing every game he plays in. I'd rather than Kante in my team over Pogba every time.

I think the price was over inflated not for football reasons but for marketing reasons with his hair and his silly celebration, the modern type of fan buys into all that shit and Man Utd probably have already made their money back on him.  As a footballer he has been good but will never go down as one of the worlds best which he should be at the price tag but as I said football is only one of many factors in a transfer fee. 

8 hours ago, VanPanna said:

I think the price was over inflated not for football reasons but for marketing reasons with his hair and his silly celebration, the modern type of fan buys into all that shit and Man Utd probably have already made their money back on him. 

Let's not forget about the Pogmojis.

Is he good? Yes? 

Is he a world beater? No

I personally don't think SAF was all that wrong getting rid of him, yeah he blossomed at Juve, but you also gotta remember he was playing on a team that was dominating an already weak Serie A. Same thing would have happened if you played on Bayern Munich. I think at United he is in the wrong system with the wrong manager, he won't thrive there. I feel as though United should cut their losses like they did with Di Maria because he is never going to live up to being the most expensive transfer of all time and definitely not equal to the others in the top 5.

18 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Is he good? Yes? 

Is he a world beater? No

I personally don't think SAF was all that wrong getting rid of him, yeah he blossomed at Juve, but you also gotta remember he was playing on a team that was dominating an already weak Serie A. Same thing would have happened if you played on Bayern Munich. I think at United he is in the wrong system with the wrong manager, he won't thrive there. I feel as though United should cut their losses like they did with Di Maria because he is never going to live up to being the most expensive transfer of all time and definitely not equal to the others in the top 5.

Welcome back mate!  Missed you! ;)

2 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Sniffle I got you fam <3 Also thanks for the first reputation for me.

The rep point is because it's a top football comment in my opinion first and foremost, but also because you're a top guy!

I'm no expert on Prem football, but Pogba isn't overrated. For years Premier League sides have been abysmal when its come to recruiting. Buying players who won't fit into the system then they go excel elsewhere. I can only echo Cicero where he says that he'd do well at Chelsea. He showed some incredible ability at Juventus. Is he overpaid? Possibly. Maybe 90M is excessive, but keep in mind at he's still a young player who has already played in a champions league final as well as a Euro final and has been starting for Juve for a while.

Archived