football forum

The Winner  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win The Game?

• Crystal Palace
    • Draw
    • Newcastle
  2. 2. How Many Goals In The Game?

Weathered the storm after the penalty, slowly started making some ground in the last 10 minutes.

Deserved lead in the first half, hung on 2nd.

Every game against the bottom 13 sides is narrow margins with us. You can't be making the sort of error Clark did. 

We are unbeaten in 6 against the bottom 14. Everton robbing us and parking the bus was the last defeat. We aren't winning enough though. Too many draws of late. Hopefully Slimani can come in and get the goals that swing these fine margins our way.

Especially as we are useless against the top 6 whereas others at the bottom seem to be able to get a win or two. If you were to remove results against the top 6 I reckon we'd be near the top of the relegation pile not in the middle.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My two cents, albeit it is somewhat tainted as I missed large parts of the game.

Firstly, Newcastle United have the best fans in the league. I said it when we played them over two years ago, and i'll say it again. They're lively, they're polite, they're respectful, they're good with jokes, they travel in massive numbers, they sing, they don't stop making noise, they treat every occasion to this shithole like they're in Ibiza. A great club to support.

As for the match this is the third home game in recent time we've drawn and not won because of a slow start. It happened against West Ham where we were 2-0 down, it happened against Bournemouth, and it's happened again against Newcaslte. A quick start to the second half has recovered it. Whilst Roy deserves credit for galvinising them at half time, this is becoming a repetitive problem and it needs to be addressed. I genuinely thought after 20 minutes we were going to lose by three or four goals. The movement from the likes of Kenedy and Perez just left us wrong footed and we couldn't deal with it. Thankfully after about half hour we pulled our finger and got in to the game. Not sure if that chance hit Benteke's shin or he could have done something about it, but it was enough to piss me off going in to half time.

As for the second half. Literally a different club. How Newcastle managed to hang on near the end there was a testament to there desire not to get beat because there wasn't much more we could do. I don't know how many times a ball just missed Benteke's head, or he jumped too early, or the header just didn't go where he wanted it. But it was the right idea, and if we keep supplying him like that the goals will flow.

Unfortunately we have Everton next who are going to be content on improving. Then we have Tottenham, and Chelsea, and then I think somebody like Liverpool or Manchester United. So I expect us to be in the bottom three this time next month. However there's no reason for me to believe just yet we will go down, as there's enough quality and desire for us to hit the points total we need.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived