talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

CONCACAF World Cup Qualification

8 hours ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I wouldn't say they are filling up the numbers mate. I just find it bollocks that the World Cup is advertised as "the best teams in the world" when its really just the best teams from each continent.

FWIW, I'm fine with the current format. I'm not one that believes CONMEBOL should get more spots because its an event to celebrate diversity and culture. However, its annoying as it being "advertised" as that, because there are many teams that don't qualify that are better than certain other teams.

Examples: Venezuela the past 2 qualifiers, Ukraine in 2014, even Poland last time around were better than the likes of Honduras, Nigeria, Cameroon.

Just a pointer. Mexico sit in 17th in the world rankings for March 2017. With the current format that'd still imply they'd qualify with little to no problem.

It's just the way it is. They qualify on multiple grounds, not just based on their locations but how they perform at the time. Simple as that.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our last game at home to Mexico was a key game. It was a home game and we have gotten results against Mexico in the past, and we really needed to this time. Instead we let the chance slip us and now our next two games are both away, and to the US and Costa Rica :4_joy: We'd be lucky to get anything out of those two games, so....it really doesn't look like we'll make it, barring some kind of miracle :/ 

• 3 weeks later...
  • The topic was pinned
1 minute ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

USA 2-1TyT

Mexico 2-0 Honduras 

Costa Rica 1-0 Panama

Yeah, I can't really see those being much different. All home teams should win.

Panama are without Tejada and Quintero here I think. Both have been in great form for Universitario so if they aren't here, they may miss them even if Tejada has become just a sub for the NT these days. I do believe both will be playing in the Gold Cup though.

I think all home teams will win with Panama possibly sneaking a draw.

On 6/7/2017 at 8:56 AM, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Panama are without Tejada and Quintero here I think. Both have been in great form for Universitario so if they aren't here, they may miss them even if Tejada has become just a sub for the NT these days. I do believe both will be playing in the Gold Cup though.

I think all home teams will win with Panama possibly sneaking a draw.

It turns out both Tejada and Quintero will start.

Happy for them although a bit ironic that Tejada is here. He's been given a 2 game suspension in Peru being punished for losing his temper in the Superclasico. Both the games he's banned for will be during the international break. Hardly a punishment xD

Thanks to a 3 and a half tennis match, I missed the whole game. Stoked we won 2-0, and I couldn't be happier for Pulisic. I'll have to watch the replay tomorrow.

Mexico currently up 1-0 at halftime.

Was a disappointing result against the US last night. But the performance was good, we had several chances to score and broke through their defense a number of times, we just didn't have the luck we needed. It was unfortunate, and Pulisic made us pay :dam: 

Hoping for the same kind of performance and hopefully more end product against Costa Rica on Tuesday. Come on Soca Warriors! 

• The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was pinned

Should both home teams win, the top 4 is as good as determined. I'm actually thinking that Costa Rica could finish 4th. It will come down to that last day with Panama vs Costa Rica. 

Hopefully Tejada or Quintero bag a goal.

Really hopeful for a win tonight, but at Costa Rica....it looks really difficult to say the least :4_joy::43_slight_frown: However I think a similar performance like the one against the US and maybe, just maybe, we could sneak at least a draw. 

• The topic was unpinned

The performance was great but the result, not so much. The officiating last night especially hurt us a lot...But continue playing how we played this international break and we're definitely capable of getting 4th place! I didn't expect us to get any points on the board away to the US and Costa Rica anyway haha, so getting anything would have been way beyond expectations. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

USA might actually end up in a playoff spot, I see them losing in Honduras this next week seeing as they historically struggle in central america. Then they have to play in the Asia playoff, which could be against Australia or South Korea, 2 superior teams. Oh dear...

Of course they have a chance to win but against those 2 I can't see it.

6 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

australia or south korea superior??? :rofl: 

as for what happened to the USA, the same problem as Mexico, incompetent coaches but at least mexico has the talent to get results even with a terrible coach.

To be fair, Australia and South Korea have talent playing in top leagues. Most of the Americans play in the MLS.

Usually the league doesn't matter, but Jedinak is better than Bradley, Ryan is better than Howard/Guzan, Juric is about the same level as Altidore. As for South Korea, Son Heung-Min is better than any player the USA has ever had, never mind just now.

• 1 month later...

I actually do want to see USA in the world cup. This match has gotten me to realize that they have an interesting side

Bobby Wood, Christian Pulisic and John Brooks are my 3 favourite American players. There's a few that don't get called up that are decent. Brooks as I mentioned, I believe he's not in the call up. I also heard good things Emerson Hyndman.

Bruce Arena is so uninspiring though. I can see the USA doing something decent at the next World Cup with a different manager. 

Archived