talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

CONCACAF World Cup Qualification

4 minutes ago, oliveandblue said:

Costa Rica have beaten and lost to the USA by a 4-0 result in the past year.  They are decent but completely unreliable.  You do not know what Costa Rica side you're going to see.

That's a good point actually. Completely forgot about that 4-0 loss. USA have never been good away to central american sides either.

Mexico is about the level of Paraguay realistically. They have good players but really only go to the WC on a consistent basis because they are in CONCACAF. They have a fanbase with a huge ego. I think the worst example was when they played Venezuela in the Copa America and began with the ole's a minute into the match. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, LaSambadeStGermain said:

That's a good point actually. Completely forgot about that 4-0 loss.

Mexico is about the level of Paraguay realistically. They have good players but really only go to the WC on a consistent basis because they are in CONCACAF. They have a fanbase with a huge ego. I think the worst example was when they played Venezuela in the Copa America and began with the ole's a minute into the match. 

Paraguay struggled with the USA.  Mexico is much better than Paraguay.

I think ARG, BRA, CHI, and COL are better than Mexico, although Colombia are barely ahead.  Mexico's attacking (and risky) style is GREAT for taking down weak teams.  It is not good against anyone with the ability to punish it.

2 minutes ago, oliveandblue said:

Paraguay struggled with the USA.  Mexico is much better than Paraguay.

I think ARG, BRA, CHI, and COL are better than Mexico, although Colombia are barely ahead.  Mexico's attacking (and risky) style is GREAT for taking down weak teams.  It is not good against anyone with the ability to punish it.

Colombia are not better than Mexico at this current moment. Colombia have been dreadful since the Colombia - Paraguay game at least years Copa America. Completely clueless on the ball and no defensive efforts whatsoever.

Its hard to judge really. You're basing it on Paraguay struggling with the USA, but I can just as easily say that Mexico struggled with Venezuela and got smashed by Chile. USA were also at home so that's an advantage for them.

Off topic:  I hate the idea of WC expansion.  It's going to ruin how qualification can be tense for big sides that fall asleep.  I also don't think there are 48 sides good enough to win a WC.

Apparently, CONCACAF is going to get 6.5 bids.  Are you serious?

The only way to judge this is if there is a merger, and I don't think it will really happen.

The expansion will be like the Euro's. Will let in a lot of teams that shouldn't be in the World Cup that will throw 10 men behind the ball. 2026 will be a snoozefest. I want Peru to qualify for a WC but not that one. We'd just be seen as one of the teams who shouldn't be in it. I rather qualify fairly.

Just now, oliveandblue said:

Tomorrow night screams "draw".  Panama will show up after what the USA did on Friday and will play a proper game.  We'll conceed a needless goal.  1-1.

Think they'll want revenge given what happened last time too?

Anyways, hopefully Luis Tejada and Alberto Quintero play.

• The topic was unpinned

Shame Panama drew but I'm happy to see Tejada and Quintero both got playing time. Given they still have Trinidad and Honduras at home I can see Panama possibly getting there

3 hours ago, Cure said:

What's the grudge against Mexico? At least they qualify for the World Cup.

The grudge against Mexico is that all they have the worst fans in the world. They think they are the best in the world by beating Honduras, Panama and Trinidad, and they always go with the "oles" and homophobic chants. I think the worst example was when they were playing with Venezuela they were going on with the oles 5 seconds into the match. 

They're shit. They're the best team in CONCACAF but thats not saying much. There are loads of South American and European sides that don't go to World Cups but are better than Mexico. Saying that they qualify for the World Cup makes them better is exactly like saying Ludogorets is better than Chelsea because Ludogorets were in Europe this season and Chelsea weren't.

They were rightfully found out by Chile and Venezuela in the last Copa America. For me, Mexico have 3 great players (Tecatico, Chucky Lozano and Chicharito, the rest are all good but not great and hyped up by the Mexican press)

3 minutes ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

Oh yeah, Mexican press hype is the reason why Porto plays Layun and Herrera, PSV plays Guardado and Moreno.. etc etc Brian, you hamster eating, you hate mexico simply because they are MUCH better than Peru.

Notice that you've had about 40-50 pops and I've ignored all? Why do you continue on trying. I don't argue with the hopeless.

You mean all those round of 16 games where Mexico has crashed out against a big team?

Personally I couldn't care less who is better between Mexico and Peru. You're hell bent on letting people know when no one cares either, yet everytime we win after you predicted we'd get smashed, you either disappear or say "CONMEBOL level is at a low" when it could be at a low all it wants, yet it would still be better than CONCACAF. Same with UEFA. Stick to a sport that doesn't have much debate like curling because you truly haven't got a clue about football and that won't change. Also stop following me around because I will continue to ignore it. 

2 minutes ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

Once upon a time, Bolivia got a draw in Brazil. I don't remember Bolivians bragging about it for ages. Just further proof as to why Mexican fans are intolerable.

Anyways, that's me done. I'm not going to bother arguing with a hopeless twat. Peace out.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

Was the bolivia game a WC AT BRAZIL?  Idiot, if you going to make comparisons, do proper ones. Haters going to hate.

Now, I love a bit of banter and debate but if you both continue to derail this thread, it'll be locked. I don't care who started it either. 

1 minute ago, Machado said:

Herrera is Porto's black sheep these days.

I didn't ask you on the Portuguese football thread but what is your opinion on Nelson Semedo? Read a cool piece on it the other day.

4 minutes ago, oliveandblue said:

FWIW, CONCACAF sent three teams into the knockout stages in Brazil.  It's not like our teams are simply filling up the numbers. 

I wouldn't say they are filling up the numbers mate. I just find it bollocks that the World Cup is advertised as "the best teams in the world" when its really just the best teams from each continent.

FWIW, I'm fine with the current format. I'm not one that believes CONMEBOL should get more spots because its an event to celebrate diversity and culture. However, its annoying as it being "advertised" as that, because there are many teams that don't qualify that are better than certain other teams.

Examples: Venezuela the past 2 qualifiers, Ukraine in 2014, even Poland last time around were better than the likes of Honduras, Nigeria, Cameroon.

Just now, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I wouldn't say they are filling up the numbers mate. I just find it bollocks that the World Cup is advertised as "the best teams in the world" when its really just the best teams from each continent.

FWIW, I'm fine with the current format. I'm not one that believes CONMEBOL should get more spots because its an event to celebrate diversity and culture. However, its annoying as it being "advertised" as that, because there are many teams that don't qualify that are better than certain other teams.

It's complicated.  CONCACAF has a decent high-end, but it then falls off BADLY.  The top 3-4 sides can take MULTIPLE GAMES OFF in qualifying and still make it. 

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived