• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

laliga.PNG

3 big games for various reasons
Espanyol vs Barca the big derby
Las Palmas vs Malaga the relegation 6-pointer
Atletico Madrid vs Valencia - 2nd plays 3rd. 

The obvious big game this weekend is Atlético Madrid v Valencia CF which has come at a bad time for Atleti because if anyone’s got any chance of playing the vulture on Barça it’s them by staying unbeaten as long as possible.  Valencia are going through an indifferent start to the year where they’re having to really battle for victories and even being inconsistent at home which wasn’t the case in the first half of the season.  Neither side will want to drop points with Real Madrid behind them at a considerable distance but the side from Madrid will want to keep it going because even though unlikely, anything can happen.

But the real big game to watch out for is the city of Barcelona derby between RCD Espanyol and FC Barcelona... Many that just follow through a side glance at La Liga always think this should be a walk in the park for Barça but due to the immense rivalry between both clubs for diverse reasons, this can either end up being comfortable for Barcelona or a total nightmare for the more renowned side in the city.  Plus there’s been some serious bad blood in recent times, none more than the recent quarter-final clash between both of them in the Copa del Rey.  A very tough encounter in two legs which saw Espanyol inflict Barça’s first defeat of the season in all competitions at Cornellà del Prat and then all sorts of comments from players from both sides beforehand and after both clashes. This game has come very soon after all that and be ready for fireworks!  Obviously Barcelona have earned the right to commit errors from here on inwards toward the end of the season but football isn’t as clear cut as it sometimes seems and a collapse could happen although unlikely.  All it takes is a seed of doubt to create indifferent form and Espanyol would love to be the ones to plant that seed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Eibar finished in a Europa League spot this season. In fact, they already are in one since the 2 sides in the final of the copa will likely already be in Europe(unless Leganes can pull off the surprise against Sevilla of course) via their league position already.

The top 5 seem set(in no specific order, other than first), but It looks like those 6th spot and 7th spots could be decided out of Sevilla, Eibar, Celta and Real Betis.

Getafe, Athletic, Girona and Leganes are all right up there behind those teams themselves, but it'll come down to being out of the former 4 without a doubt. Real Betis would be an interesting side in Europe I reckon. It'd be nice to see a return for them, although Eibar would getting there would be like a fairytale.

I was out for dinner with some friends when a mate of mine on the other side of the table shouted obscenities about Real Madrid while clenching his fist...  He’s a Real Oviedo fan who aren’t in the first division but he doesn’t like Real all that much. It didn’t come as a surprise to me anyhow... Levante already sorted Real amadrid out at the Santiago Bernabéu and as far as I was concerned they were favourites to get something out of this.  Infact they should be disappointed not to have beaten Real.

Coutinho unlucky with his shot from distance, which hit the bar. Other than that and a free-kick from Suarez, which was narrowly over the bar, there hasn't been too much to discuss. You can certainly tell a difference when Messi and Alba aren't in the line-up, as their understanding this season has been exceptional. I would have thought both will be introduced in the second though and it was wise of Valverde to rest both considering the big cup game mid-week.

RCD ESPANYOL 1-1 FC BARCELONA (FT)

Very hard game under normal circumstances and turned into a mess due to the weather conditions.  The pitch became unplayable and fell into Espanyol’s hands where they capitalised on the circumstances with a Gerard Moreno goal (who else for Espanyol).  Then we got Espanyol’s worst nightmare when all looked like a home victory with a Messi free kick and none other than Gerard Piqué heading the goal.  I think the Espanyol fans would rather have lost the game than for Barça to get anything out of it where Piqué was the deciding factor. xD

Great draw considering everything and still the only unbeaten side in Europe’s big leagues.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I should say this more often... xD

But considering what was going on it’s a miracle that ended in a draw.

i know mate. the pitch was horrendous. 

28 minutes ago, Stan said:

i know mate. the pitch was horrendous. 

Focal points going on now where’s debate is concerned in Spain with the Gerard Moreno v Gerard Piqué clash and minutes later Víctor Sánchez v Lionel Messi.  Piqué’s equalising goal riled the Espanyol players and they lost it! The fact it was Piqué drew out the worst in them.

It had to be Pique who headed in the equaliser didn't it? xD

It was a big point as it could quite easily have been a loss under the conditions. The pitch was terrible and would have likely been called off over here, but it's not something we haven't seen before in Spain. I remember a game vs Malaga between about 08-10 where the pitch was even worse than  this(it was crazy) and also the game between  Real and Levante the other year. It makes the game very difficult and quality and it all comes down to having to improvise.

Brilliant to see the unbeaten run continue.

• Administrator

@Cicero @Cannabis @SirBalon @The Rebel CRS @Happy Blue

Your thoughts on Girona this season? Debut in La Liga and they're sitting not too far away from European spots as they're beating Bilbao 2-0 at the moment. 

Happy Blue, included you as their Man City's Spanish sisters - think there's a few players on loan there? 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

@Cicero @Cannabis @SirBalon @The Rebel CRS @Happy Blue

Your thoughts on Girona this season? Debut in La Liga and they're sitting not too far away from European spots as they're beating Bilbao 2-0 at the moment. 

Happy Blue, included you as their Man City's Spanish sisters - think there's a few players on loan there? 

They’ve done really well and playing very entertaining football too which is something you don’t see much with promoted sides especially a side that’s been promoted for the first time in their history. Usually you get those types of teams playing rugged football with most of their goals coming on set pieces.

Maffeo, Portu, Borja García, Pere Pons and Stuani have all been the standout players this season.  The only game where Maffeo wasn’t all that good was in the game against Barcelona where the coach put him on Messi as a man marker and I think he followed him into the toilet at half time it was so funny.  But other than that game Maffeo has been brilliant for me.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived