talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FA Cup Semi Finals - 22-23 April 2017

football forum

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great overall performance, Spurs did press in the second half but apart from their goals they didn't create much chances. However we didn't either, we scored from what we had available. What a fucking goal by Matić, if you ever wanted a game breaker you have one there. This could prove to be crucial for the title run in, confidence must be sky high now. Willian will probably get the MOTM, but Kante, Luiz and Moses all superb.

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Spurs are quite regularly called bottlers aren't they, they got lots of stick last season for supposedly 'bottling it' when really they had nothing to bottle. 

Fair enough, I never seem to see it whereas obviously I do when it's us so I may be wrong.

Lot will go into Hazard's contributions but what really made the difference was Cesc and Conte. 

Been saying it for ages, particularly around December after the City game, that when we are up against a talented side that puts immense pressure on our back line and midfield, we will always lose the midfield battle, which was the case for 75 minutes. As soon as Conte changed the formation and added Cesc into the midfield, we were a different team. What I love about Conte is his ability to adapt. 

Matic's performance should not go unnoticed. Before the goal, which came from nowhere, he was an absolute passenger. Kante did all the tackling and ball winning, whereas Matic was contributing fuck all. We desperately need an upgrade on him next year. Bakayoko would be perfect with Chalobah as depth. 

Ake did wonderfully. Nothing much he could do for the Kane goal, but other than that he was class, especially given the circumstances. Hopefully this puts more trust in Conte for rotation. 

Azpilicueta as captain next year will do fine with me. True leader. Hazard yet another big time goal. Next season will defy him with Europe and the World Cup. Massive confidence booster for us as I hope this will give the players a psychological boost for the league as well as the final. Hope Brazil stay away from Luiz as Luiz will definitely need a full summer's rest. Been playing injured for ages. 

On the incident, don't think it was a penalty for me. Moses was diving before the contact and I honestly thought Moses would get booked for that. Spurs should feel hard done by that considering the way they were playing for the majority of the game. We did well to hold them back, but Spurs were efficient when the chances did come. Moments of brilliance won us the game and the tactical change by Conte. Spurs hold on to their players for the long term and add some depth, not to mention continuing to intrust Poch, I can see them being regular title  contenders as well as competitive on all fronts. 

A La Final

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Despite losing in the semi final would you consider this season a success if you finish 2nd?

I would say their season has very much been a success looking from the outside in.  They've consolidated last season and bettered it with their seeming final position in the Premier League.  Plus and FA Cup Semi-Final which is a very good run.  Losing to Chelsea (even more so this Chelsea with Conte this season) is something acceptable I would say.

• Subscriber
34 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Despite losing in the semi final would you consider this season a success if you finish 2nd?

Yes and No.

I'm fed up of not winning anything. But this is the wrong time to ask me.

Ultimately we punch massively above our weight considering our spending power against the rest of the top 6. But right now just gutted. Played brilliantly but some weird tactical choices, some awful refereeing, a lack of impact from the bench and some clinical play by the opposition and we left with nothing. 

Yeah I was fuming with Matic all game until his goal, too passive for me in his pressing and that's one of my pet hates in football, passiveness. 

Spurs did dominate the midfield particularly second half and one of the main reasons why was because of tactical reasons I feel but at the same time I'm glad we don't have to play Dembele and Wanyama again until next season.

Fabregas substitution was much needed and one of the essential parts of the game.

Conte has become a lot deeper in his press conferences lately which is probably partly down to his English improving but it's perhaps tells us something else as well. 

• Administrator

Great game to watch.

End to end in the first half pretty much and Matic's goal was sublime. Can't get more top corner than that. Lloris had no chance.

I actually wanted Spurs to reach the final as they play the better football currently, but obviously it's about the goals you score in games like this as opposed to the method of getting the goal. Spurs' time will come within the next couple of years. The drive and hunger for success in the side is clear to see and they cleary have the talent in the squad. Probably a cup competition win will be before a league win though.

Much better performance and for those stating Spurs were the better dominating team like young Jenas in the BBC studio, it helps being allowed to have the ball.

There is no doubt in my mind that we have a manager who is pretty much a cut above the average. Like many before the game, I was scratching my head via the team he picked to start? I wondered if the virus at the club had stung us again, but listening to Hazard after the game when his outstanding mature words describing the manner he and Costa found out about the managers decision, this was a manager taking in the bigger picture and setting out his plans for the next few days.

Tuesday's game is far more important and one hopes the confidence gained from yesterdays performance will help shape how the league season ends in a positive manner.

19 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm not sure that's fair, Spurs midfield did a very good job of winning the ball back themselves and Chelsea never really looked settled. Chelsea were just robust defensively, and then when Hazard and Fabregas came on you had players who were able to retain the ball better.

This. 

Completely different side when we added another man in midfield which ultimately changed the game. 

For me both penalty calls should've been given as penalties.  Man City's goal should've also been given as the ball didn't go out of play in the cross at all...  Technology has to reach further than we know because there's been World Cup decisions made to this effect that have changed the course of history.

All in all, we're being dominated in midfield and Xhaka has been absolutely terrible to be honest.  Our best player by a mile as has been for a while has been Oxlade-Chamberlain.

• Administrator

there's no way either of those were penalties. Oxlade-Chamberlain barely touches Aguero. Aguero clips his own heels for the most part.

And Navas vs Sanchez is the kind of scrap you get in the box in every game. Don't even think Sanchez would have got to the ball, either. 

• Administrator

Agueroooooooooo!

1-0 Man City! Simple counter-attack. Toure ball over the top. Aguero has too much pace for Monreal. Cech comes out but can't collect. Deftly chipped over him by Aguero. Ramsey lost the ball near Man City's area. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived