Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

    The better place to talk football.

The Championship - The Race for Second Place


Recommended Posts

Sign up to remove this ad.
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Do you reckon you'll be alright in the playoffs?

Not sure. As you mentioned, Villa, Derby and Fulham are on good form and while we can hold our own, I'm not sure if we'd be able to beat them when it counts. 

There are some good players within our squad and Warnock, regardless of opinions, will be key for us, but I'm just not sure if we have the quality to get promotion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of what's left after Wolves IMO...

  • Fulham are the best footballing side. Hands down. But pretty doesn't always guarantee promotion.
  • Derby are the best all round 'solid' side. Hard to beat. Tough as old boots.
  • Villa have the team with the best individuals. Developed a good habit of nicking games. E.G Snodgrass.
  • I'm not sure what Cardiff are but they are up there and you have to respect them for that.
  • Sheffield United/Bristol City are easy on the eye but also typical 'flash in the pan' side's that are becoming found out.
  • Middlesbrough are the biggest underachievers but if they finish strong, look the most genuine threat to knocking someone else out of playoffs.
  • Preston are the most hard working side but hard work only takes you so far.
  • Brentford are one of those yappy dogs whose bark is worse than it's bite. Need to produce more.
  • We've purposely packed up for the season to appease the Football League and our fans. Good move by the club to not raise hopes after last season's catastrophe.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think Fulham main problem is the lack of experience. When things are going wrong there' nobody there any more like Scott Parker to say: "look I've been here before. This is how we get out of it.". 

Well this year I think they are in better shape than last year purely because they were the form team going into the playoffs and they nose dived against Reading.

That will have hurt and they have kept a lot of that team together so they will feed off that experience this time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Race for second? Obviously we're going to beat Wolves to 1st :coffee:

Im glad the Derby game is out the way, everything else is now against play off hopefuls and largely we're at home against them. Hopefully Alan Judge can come into form because if he hits his old form he's one of those unstoppable forces.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reckon any of the top 6 (excluding Wolves) can do it. Derby are superb defensively and certainly not shabby at all at the back, Villa are in superb form and just generally a very good team,  the Sheep Shaggers are a typical Uncle Colin side, hard to beat, we are underdogs at this point but we're not a million miles behind Derby, while Fulham are also in extremely good form and can play great football.

Wolves will obviously go up, but I can't split Derby or Villa to clinch second. Then it's anyone's game in the playoffs, though I can see Baadiff doing it personally. It'll be very hard to beat Uncle Colin in 2 legs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/02/2018 at 19:07, Fairy In Boots said:

I’m not sold still, I think as mentioned above were a great squad but we’re not a team. I don’t think you can rely on individuals to get you over the line. We’re guaranteed a playoff spot at this point though 

You seem to be flying at the minute. What exactly has changed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

You seem to be flying at the minute. What exactly has changed?

John Terry & Jack Grealish & Robert Snodgrass all to good for this level and starting to help other players do well, Hogan etc.

I don’t like Bruce (although I was sorry to hear about his father) as a manager, I think he’s limited. Gary Rowett I think with this squad would be challenging Wolves all the way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/02/2018 at 07:18, Fairy In Boots said:

John Terry & Jack Grealish & Robert Snodgrass all to good for this level and starting to help other players do well, Hogan etc.

I don’t like Bruce (although I was sorry to hear about his father) as a manager, I think he’s limited. Gary Rowett I think with this squad would be challenging Wolves all the way. 

He's been voted Manager of the Month so you'd soon expect the curse to settle in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny how Football works. The League Cup has probably been the highlight of Bristol City's season to date and yet is has been completely detrimental to their league form and taken the wind out their sails.

I think the players have got caught up in the hype of beating Man Utd and playing the two semi final games against City that they have taken their eye off the ball in the league. Clearly they have been unable to focus and juggle the two and the character of the side after being knocked out has to be questioned.

Since beating Man Utd in December and drawing City for the semi's, they have played 10 league games. Two wins, Three draws and Five losses. Or to put it another way, nine points out of thirty. That is actually relegation form.

Wonder in retrospect if the fans would have swapped losing to Palace in the League Cup at the time so they could have concentrated entirely on the league games...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Championship is just too close, every team can beat every team and you need constant form through a long season to get promotion or to the the play off places. Once you go down if you don't bounce back after a season or two you are stuck in hell. From the current bunch only Wolves kept a solid form through the season so far, felt Leeds would do it this year but they are on a terrible run for awhile now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m a few days late to the party and Villa have gained more of an advantage since some people made predictions, but they must be massive favourites now.

Best squad, best form, a manager that’s done it before.

It’s so weird that Villa fans think they are above Steve Bruce. He’s done a superb job in the circumstances, never accepted by the fans from day one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2018 at 08:09, Stan said:

what the fuck happened at Bristol City?!

Had a bet with them, Derby to win and Bolton/Fulham over 2.5 to follow Sheff Utd beating Leeds.

Was going okay at HT!

 

On 2/11/2018 at 09:59, Cannabis said:

@BounceAroundTheGround explain yourself :ph34r:.

So basically:

Poor game management from Johnson
God decided he was a Sunderland fan
Our players were stupidly over complacent
Sunderland became Barcelona for 20 minutes
Aiden McGeady took steroids at half time
Chris Coleman's a good manager

9 hours ago, Lucas said:

Funny how Football works. The League Cup has probably been the highlight of Bristol City's season to date and yet is has been completely detrimental to their league form and taken the wind out their sails.

I think the players have got caught up in the hype of beating Man Utd and playing the two semi final games against City that they have taken their eye off the ball in the league. Clearly they have been unable to focus and juggle the two and the character of the side after being knocked out has to be questioned.

Since beating Man Utd in December and drawing City for the semi's, they have played 10 league games. Two wins, Three draws and Five losses. Or to put it another way, nine points out of thirty. That is actually relegation form.

Wonder in retrospect if the fans would have swapped losing to Palace in the League Cup at the time so they could have concentrated entirely on the league games...

 

3

No. Fuck no.

That Manchester United game was something I will never forget.

I'd also say it wasn't the League Cup that fucked us over, it was the last minute loss against Wolves. Confidence from then on went out the window. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Sign up or subscribe to remove this ad.


×
×
  • Create New...