talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester City Players - Do They Deserve More Protection?

So, I am sure you have all heard that today Pep Guardiola decided to only name six substitutes today. When asked about why he done this, Pep made the statement that he had: "ran out of players". This is during the same week where Raheem Sterling claimed that their players were getting "butchered" by bad tackles, and Pep Guardiola has stated that his players need more protection from referees.

So, has he got a point?

One side of the arguement is that there are cases where players should have been sent off but haven't. Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Jason Puncheon and Joe Bennett are four examples I can immediately think of where there tackles should have resulted in red cards but haven't. 

However, as Sean Dyche has said, it wasn't long ago that we were talking about how football was becoming a non-contact sport with some of the soft decisions that were being awarded.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since they are talented they are probably hit with harder tackles from frustrated players. It is easier to foul someone making a play than stopping it cleanly, it also brings momentum to a halt and allows reorganisation. At the end of the day they need to 'harden up sunshine' because being the best carries the largest bullseye. Can't take the heat? Then get out of the kitchen.

Hazard more than any player in the league gets absolutely battered and the ref merely jogs on. Only gets him mad and ups his game. I second what Spike says. 

Only last year when Herrera got sent off against us was probably the only time i saw an official protect Hazard.

Before Herrera's second yellow the ref shouted, 'next player gets carded', as he was referring to the United players fouling Hazard considering they hacked Him the entire 1st half. 

What @Spike says is true to an extent, as well as the simple fact that they spend so long on the ball, so of course they'll be fouled more than average. But at the same time there have been some shocking challenges going in on City players which deserve stricter punishment. Two in the West Brom game alone.

As a side note: naming six players on the bench to prove a point or send a message is absolutely pathetic bitterness. It's textbook Mourinho behaviour

No.

Is there any actual evidence that suggests teams change their tactics for games against Manchester City and games Manchester City, only? 

With the numerous TV cameras and different angles on show at every Premier League game these days, you could probably make a case for every side that 'tackles' on their players should be shown a card or banned.

It is funny that the press and the pundits are now acting concerned and saying Guardiola has a point after very actively encouraging teams to be rough against us in the past because "Arsenal don't like it up 'em" with any complaints being seen as whinging and as us being too soft. Guardiola has a point but fuck all these pricks in the media that are up his arse.

19 hours ago, 6666 said:

It is funny that the press and the pundits are now acting concerned and saying Guardiola has a point after very actively encouraging teams to be rough against us in the past because "Arsenal don't like it up 'em" with any complaints being seen as whinging and as us being too soft. Guardiola has a point but fuck all these pricks in the media that are up his arse.

Probably because Arsenal and Wenger used to bitch and moan whenever they lost. 

Fouls should be punished appropriately and the game has undeniably changed massively in terms of physicality, even in the last decade.

• Subscriber

Peps injury record with us was ridiculous, I think hes partly venting frustration and trying to lay the blame elsewhere. There where alot of concerns about his training intensity; it doesnt mix well with injury prone players that which City has a handful of.

3 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Tiring work watching others play football

You know what they are like with the R&R these days but Pep's kicking up a fuss not because he believes what he is saying but trying to gain us an extra free kick or two and help his team over the line, if teams stand off us a little because refs are blowing for fouls more then great, if the refs carry on like normal then nothing lost

I agree, Man City deserve more protection. 

Therefore, I think we should all cut them some slack and they should play the rest of their games wrapped up like this whether they like it or not

guillermo-wrapped.jpg

Can't wait to see Sterling's camp dinosaur run wearing this...

Cardiff manager Neil Warnock has claimed Manchester City are guilty of "horrendous" challenges as the uproar over last month's controversial FA Cup tie continues.

Joe Bennett was the subject of criticism after the Bluebirds defender was guilty of a late challenge on Leroy Sane in the fourth-round match which has sidelined the Germany international for up to six weeks.

Warnock has argued Pep Guardiola's side have also been guilty of some poor challenges during the campaign but the spotlight had instead focused on his side.

"I wish they would have put a slow still of Kevin De Bruyne's tackle and studs on Jazz Richards," he said ahead of Cardiff's Sky Bet Championship match against Millwall on Friday, live on Sky Sports Football.

"And the bad tackle of Fernandinho when they played West Brom the following week. There were some horrendous tackles and nothing was said about that because there were another eight or nine games.

"We were unlucky on the day because Chelsea and Newcastle was the only other game and that was a damp squib."

Warnock made the remarks in response to a question about Millwall manager Neil Harris' claim that Cardiff are the most physical team in the Championship.

Gotta love a Colin Curveball.

It's not necessarily about City needing protection rather about tactical fouling needing stamped out. I'm finding the idea of reds for dishonest tackles more and more convincing. 

It would benefit City more than most but it would still go against them too. 

Although the whole idea should be that everyone stops doing it. 

21 hours ago, Inverted said:

It's not necessarily about City needing protection rather about tactical fouling needing stamped out. I'm finding the idea of reds for dishonest tackles more and more convincing. 

It would benefit City more than most but it would still go against them too. 

Although the whole idea should be that everyone stops doing it. 

I've been saying for a long time that a deliberate foul to stop the play should be a red card. My argument is that even if it doesn't prevent an obvious goalscoring opportunity, the intent is absolutely to prevent a goal by foul means. It would also be a good move for safety reasons because the 'tackles' in this situation are often reckless as the offender has to make absolutely sure they bring the attacker down.

Archived