talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Amazon Join BT Sport & Sky for TV Package Rights from 2019

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Pretty sure Sky Sports is much more expensive but you get much more variety and more quality.

I think the reason partly for this is because back in late summer/early autumn of last year, they changed some of the channels you can get as standard or as additions.

I had a package which gave me BT Sport HD and some decent entertainment channels (Comedy Central being the main one). You could also get Sky Sports 1 and 2. Then Sky changed their channels and the only ones you could get with the BT package were Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Mix. It was then shit because you could be watching an event on Main Event then it would switch to another xD. When I rang BT to say I was leaving and found a better package on Virgin, she tried telling me it was better value for money if I stuck with BT despite being able to get all Sky Sports channels and all BT Sport channels in HD. Some of their customer service staff were so dense.

The standard of BT Sport commentary and punditry is terrible in comparison to Sky Sports though. Yes, the latter have their reputation but for the amount BT Sport pay for their contract you'd expect more quality. 

I still don't get why this kind of system is permitted. 

The PL for some reason decides that only one person can broadcast in the UK, which creates a massive bidding pressure, and those costs get shunted down to the consumer. 

The fact that each match only has one broadcaster also fucks the fan because there's no real way of fans punishing broadcasters for their shite coverage. If there was a range of channels then fans could show their disapproval of the horrific punditry and direction that Sky and BT offer. Rather than just a binary choice of paying them through the nose or missing out.

Imagine several broadcasters showing the match and being able to pick the one that offered the best analysis and discussion. That's not possible because for some reason an arbitrary monopoly is made for every match. 

It all boils down to customers having no real power and having enormous artificial costs passed down onto them. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Pretty sure Sky Sports is much more expensive but you get much more variety and more quality.

I got bored and had a little browse on Sky just to have a look. I'm not sure if this is just for new customers (and admittedly does not appear to be HD so chick another fiver on top), but It's actually not that much more. In fact, it's arguably cheaper.

Screenshot_20180204-135704.png

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I got bored and had a little browse on Sky just to have a look. I'm not sure if this is just for new customers (and admittedly does not appear to be HD so chick another fiver on top), but It's actually not that much more. In fact, it's arguably cheaper.

Screenshot_20180204-135704.png

is that not just for Sports only? and no other TV channels?

So those costs quoted there are in addition to a £50-60 contract with all the other channels.

On BT, a subscription can be cheaper than that which includes normal TV channels as well as the BT Sport channels.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

is that not just for Sports only? and no other TV channels?

So those costs quoted there are in addition to a £50-60 contract with all the other channels.

On BT, a subscription can be cheaper than that which includes normal TV channels as well as the BT Sport channels.

It is just sport as you have to have entertainment package as standard, which is £20 - £25 a month (so £52.50 at the higher end as you mentioned).

The point still stands though as both BT Sports and Sky Sports are usually optional regardless of who you go with.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

The problem with BT Sport is that they don't listen to the general public. It's been well documented for years that people think that Michael Owen is a mong yet he consistently appears on Champions League games. The same can be said for Owen Hargreaves to an extent too who just seems to make things up as he goes along. 

Their coverage was groundbreaking when it very first came out. I remember watching BT Sport's first ever game in the pub with my Dad and we both said that it blew Sky out of the water. It's just a shame that they've sat on their laurels and are now just another run of the mill sport channel milking people for bog standard entertainment.

he's ultra (and needlessly) positive about everything. I think tha'ts the annoying thing. There's no mixture of his commentary - a good commentator calls it as it is, not just outwardly positive or wholly negative. Hargreaves is far too hyperbolic.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/owen-hargreaves-bt-sport-champions-league-atletico-madrid-vs-real-madrid-a7730366.html

owen-hargreaves-2.jpg

That was how many superlatives Hargreaves used in a match between Atletico and Real last May. You then begin to realise how utterly and annoyingly repetitive he is. And this is just from one match!

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Cannabis said:

It boils my piss how the Americans get so many Premier League games that we don't. It's our league yet it's us fans that get shafted in terms of the TV.

It's an absolute disgrace. I'm convinced hardly anyone in England truly gets how shafted we are in this situation.

As I understand it the BT stance is the result of the news being made public that the new round of PL packages all have new reserve prices attached to them.

Those in the "media know", are all forecasting Amazon & Facebook, both said to be keen bidders last year, are no longer looking to be involved this time around.

This is said to have prompted Richard Scudamore's team to add the reserve prices to all packages.

Sky were already looking to forgo one of the packages they hold just now, said to be the Monday Nights package, so the BT news looks to be a warning to the PL that the expected rise in price for the 3 year deals are unlikely to be made.

ITV currently without any football are hopeful one of the packages could fall into their hands, but would be faced with opening a subscription channel.

Frankly, anything that drives Sky out of football would get my vote. Sky caters for the weak minded by turning football into a soap to rival CS\Eastenders with puppet former footballers having their strings pulled to company line their soap agenda.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5313807/Amazon-sit-Premier-League-rights-bidding.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-5290173/Premier-League-wont-let-TV-deals-cheap.html

Save your daily mail bollocks, I agree, however, Charles Sale is excellent and is detested by so many people in sport.

That kinda works for me.

• Administrator

TV packages announced. 5 out of 7 so far. 2 more to go.

DV75NAAXkAAZ4OI.jpg:large

Package A: 32 matches on Saturdays at 12:30
Package B: 32 matches on Saturdays at 17:30
Package C: 24 matches on Sundays at 14:00 and eight matches on Saturdays at 19:45
Package D: 32 matches on Sundays at 16:30
Package E: 24 matches on Mondays at 20:00 or Fridays at 19:30/20:00 and eight matches on Sundays at 14:00
Package F: 20 matches from one Bank Holiday and one midweek fixture programme
Package G: 20 matches from two midweek fixture programmes

• The title was changed to BT & Sky Negotiate £4.46bn TV Package for Premier League 2019-2022
  • 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Amazon Join BT Sport & Sky for TV Package Rights from 2019
  • Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44396151

Amazon will show 20 Premier League matches a season for three years from 2019, after winning one of the final two broadcast packages.

The online streaming service has won the rights to show one round of midweek games and one round from a bank holiday.

The matches will be available to Amazon Prime's UK members.

The other unsold package of 20 matches was bought by BT Sport for £90m, taking their total to 52 games.

In February, Sky Sports paid £3.58bn for four packages, while BT Sport spent £295m on another package.

Premier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore described Amazon as an "exciting new partner".

"Prime Video will be an excellent service on which fans can consume live Premier League football - including for the first time in the UK a full round of matches," he said.

Amazon have paid for two full rounds of fixtures a season - the first December midweek round and the festive Bank Holiday round.

It will be the first time a full round of Premier League fixtures will be broadcast in the UK.

In addition Prime members can watch weekly highlights of all Premier League games throughout the season.

Memberships costs £79 a year or £7.99 a month.

Amazon, which started as an online retailer, already broadcasts the US Open tennis, ATP World Tour Tennis events and NFL games.

The Premier League's bid process this time around comprised 200 live matches a season, an increase from the 168 for which broadcasters bid in 2015.

The broadcasters bid on seven packages of fixtures - five of which contain 32 matches a season and two 20 matches.

Other changes for the 2019-2022 deal include eight individual games being shown live in a 'prime-time' Saturday night slot, three complete rounds of 10 midweek matches all shown live, and one set of bank holiday games.

What are the packages?
Package A - won by BT 32 matches on Saturdays at 12:30
Package B - won by Sky Sports 32 matches on Saturdays at 17:30
Package C - won by Sky Sports 24 matches on Sundays at 14:00 and eight matches on Saturdays at 19:45
Package D - won by Sky Sports 32 matches on Sundays at 16:30
Package E - won by Sky Sports 24 matches on Mondays at 20:00 or Fridays at 19:30/20:00 and eight matches on Sundays at 14:00
Package F - won by Amazon 20 matches from one Bank Holiday and one midweek fixture programme
Package G - won by BT 20 matches from two midweek fixture programmes

On 2/4/2018 at 16:37, Cannabis said:

It boils my piss how the Americans get so many Premier League games that we don't. It's our league yet it's us fans that get shafted in terms of the TV.

Not just the US,  Most countries you can watch most of the Premier League games if you have the sports channels and they cost about 1/2 the price of what Sky TV Charge.      There should be a rule that you can use different country subscriptions by Satellite,  I think this was brought up when an English pub was showing English football via Greek TV,  Sky tried to claim copyright rules but the pub landlord took it to the European Courts and won.

A pub landlady has won her court fight with the English Premier League over using a Greek TV decoder to show games.

Karen Murphy has paid nearly £8,000 in fines and costs for using the cheaper decoder in her Portsmouth pub.

But she took her case to the European Court of Justice (ECJ). It found partly in her favour, and now the High Court in London has also found in her favour.

However, the Premier League said it still had the right "to prevent the unauthorised use of our copyrights".

The complicated case has been closely watched as it could trigger a major shake-up in the way football TV rights are sold, and potentially pave the way to cheaper viewing of foreign broadcasts for fans of top-flight English games.

Bypass

Ms Murphy has spent six years fighting a prosecution for showing live football at the Red White and Blue pub without a Sky subscription.

Instead of using Sky, on which it costs £700 a month to see Premier League matches, she used the Greek TV station Nova, which has the rights to screen the games in Greece, and which cost her £800 a year.

She took her fight for the right to use the cheaper provider to the European Court of Justice (ECJ) which ruled in October 2011 that having an exclusive system was "contrary to EU law".

The High Court in London on Friday ruled that Karen Murphy's appeal over using the decoder to bypass controls over match screening must be allowed.

But a judge made clear that the other complex issues regarding the wider legality of screening matches would have to be decided "at a later date".

Ms Murphy told BBC Radio Solent before the hearing that it had been a long, hard fight: "It's been very stressful, it's been a rollercoaster and to be honest now I'm absolutely fed up to the back teeth of it.

"I hope at some time in the not too distant future the market will be opened up to a reasonable choice of product to buy.

"As I've said before, you can have any other product and you have a choice of buying any other product, and that's the way it should be."

She told the reporter she would be celebrating the win with a bottle of Sambuca.

Freedom

The High Court had originally sent the case to the European courts for advice on numerous points of law.

The ECJ said last autumn that national laws that prohibit the import, sale or use of foreign decoder cards were contrary to the freedom to provide services.

The European judges also said the Premier League could not claim copyright over Premier League matches as they could not be considered to be an author's own "intellectual creation" and, therefore, to be "works" for the purposes of EU copyright law.

But it did offer some comfort for the Premier League, which receives vast sums through its exclusive broadcasting deals with Sky and ESPN.

The European court said that while live matches were not protected by copyright, any surrounding media, such as any opening video sequence, the Premier League anthem, pre-recorded films showing highlights of recent Premier League matches and various graphics, were "works" protected by copyright.

To use any of these extra parts associated for a broadcast, a pub would need the permission of the Premier League.

This was the legal ruling that the Premier League reiterated after Friday's court judgement: "Should Mrs Murphy, or any other publican, use European Economic Area foreign satellite systems to show Premier League football on their premises without our authority and outside the scope of our authorisation, they make themselves liable for us to take action against them in both the civil and criminal courts."

9 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Am I reading this right? Amazon are just showing all 10 fixtures for 2 rounds of games? Who's gonna bother signing up just for that?

It's basically to add to the overall package you get with Amazon prime for £8 per month.

I wonder if TV subscriptions will finally get closer to the price of streaming services. It makes no sense that things aren't already going that way.

Archived