talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Amazon Join BT Sport & Sky for TV Package Rights from 2019

22 minutes ago, 6666 said:

It's basically to add to the overall package you get with Amazon prime for £8 per month.

I wonder if TV subscriptions will finally get closer to the price of streaming services. It makes no sense that things aren't already going that way.

Looks like their two rounds of fixtures are both in December. Could you sign up for just the one month and cancel it afterwards if you wanted to then? I could see plenty going for that if so, especially if their prices remained the same or very similar. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Panna King said:

Instead of using Sky, on which it costs £700 a month to see Premier League matches, she used the Greek TV station Nova, which has the rights to screen the games in Greece, and which cost her £800 a year.

That right there shows the absolute greed of both Sky and the Premiership. How the fuck can Sky seriously justify charging pubs £700 a month and then take people to court when they go for far cheaper alternatives?

13 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

How do we know £700 is expensive and cannot be justified?

Depends on the venue, some chain of bars that show sport might not effect them paying £700 a month. Its the independent places that will suffer. 

4 hours ago, Panna King said:

Depends on the venue, some chain of bars that show sport might not effect them paying £700 a month. Its the independent places that will suffer. 

Good pubs can definitely draw in a crowd that can afford £700 a month because of the crowds football will bring in and the booze that'll be sold after it.

Any pub/bar that's struggling to pay £700 a month for football is most likely a total shithole. And don't get me wrong, one of my favourite bars where I live is a total shithole, but the beer is cheap and they play good music - but it's not where I'd go to watch anything. Those types of places probably should just use illegal streams lol

• 1 year later...

Sky Sports' YouTube channel to show highlights to Premier League games after full time.

Highlights to Saturday's 3pm kick-offs to be shown at 17:15 (after media blackout ends) and every other game shortly after the final whistle.

The Premier League themselves have launched their own YouTube channel, although I'm not sure what they're going to have on there. So far they've put up goals compilations for every Premier League club and for every Premier League season.

Basically, Match Of The Day is fucked.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Sky Sports' YouTube channel to show highlights to Premier League games after full time.

Highlights to Saturday's 3pm kick-offs to be shown at 17:15 (after media blackout ends) and every other game shortly after the final whistle.

The Premier League themselves have launched their own YouTube channel, although I'm not sure what they're going to have on there. So far they've put up goals compilations for every Premier League club and for every Premier League season.

Basically, Match Of The Day is fucked.

Are they? It's an institution and tradition for fans to watch it and has been for years. I can't see that changing immediately. If anything BBC may just respond by putting it on earlier in the evening on a Saturday.

Don't Sky put goals/highlights on social media straight away after most games anyway?

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Are they? It's an institution and tradition for fans to watch it and has been for years. I can't see that changing immediately. If anything BBC may just respond by putting it on earlier in the evening on a Saturday.

Don't Sky put goals/highlights on social media straight away after most games anyway?

It's tradition for fans to watch it because they have to in order to watch highlights to all the games.

And I've only seen Sky Sports put highlights of EFL games up. People don't suffer through Russian and Arabic commentary with poor quality video for no reason!

Not saying MOTD will be dead in the ground but their viewership declining following this news should be expected. We live in an era of on-demand. The BBC know that which is why they started putting MOTD up on iPlayer a few years ago. Now Sky Sports have one upped them and given people the option of watching the highlights to the games they want on a platform more people use.

We don't know how extensive these highlights will be though. Could just be one or two minutes long.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

So has anyone signed up to a trial at Amazon? Is it as simple as signing up to the trial and cancelling before the 30 days are up? Or am I just better sticking with illegal streaming? 

Literally simple as that :) 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

So is the streaming coming as part of the Prime package? Or is this something you need to get on the side? 

All part of the Prime package.

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

All part of the Prime package.

Think that's a rather sweet deal you get logistics discounts, prime video and sports? I have to fork out money here to Hotstar which cover most matches but if I was given the choice to consolidate I would.

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Think that's a rather sweet deal you get logistics discounts, prime video and sports? I have to fork out money here to Hotstar which cover most matches but if I was given the choice to consolidate I would.

Yeah it's not too bad, even though every time I order from Amazon I do resent that I'm making Jeff Bezos a bit richer. But the prime membership is pretty handy, despite it making a billionaire a bit richer.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Yeah I already have Prime and enjoy some of the programmes they have. 

But even for thhis package you get, it's only a small amount and you can cancel especially given it's free 30 day trial.

The only downside is if you actually go to a game, you miss the games earlier in that day if you have to travel. For example I'm going on Wednesday so miss all of those games. On Boxing Day I'll go vs Liverpool and miss some of the games that day.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Yeah I already have Prime and enjoy some of the programmes they have. 

But even for thhis package you get, it's only a small amount and you can cancel especially given it's free 30 day trial.

The only downside is if you actually go to a game, you miss the games earlier in that day if you have to travel. For example I'm going on Wednesday so miss all of those games. On Boxing Day I'll go vs Liverpool and miss some of the games that day.

Over here they want to offer full games as a replay with the account but for now they are offering just goal highlights. I just want someone to come and give the local competitor some actual competition so that they improve their streaming. Imagine paying for a service and on days when its a big match you get shafted on streaming quality. And to think I almost went to work for them too.

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah it's not too bad, even though every time I order from Amazon I do resent that I'm making Jeff Bezos a bit richer. But the prime membership is pretty handy, despite it making a billionaire a bit richer.

I used to be worried that these things could probably be covered a lot better by Amazon but they make money in all other kinds of ways that Prime is the one that I care about the least. Its the amount of people using their cloud services that is the scariest. Imagine that every time you hit a favourite site you are potentially touching an Amazon block and that block is charging someone for hosting and they are making money that way. Its insane what those pennies add up to. 

Don't know how many folks have an account at The Athletic but this is a good read if you want to understand why the Amazon venture is something the have to succeed at and what is going on behind it.

https://theathletic.com/1423680/2019/12/02/are-amazon-right-to-be-shitting-themselves-or-will-they-buck-trend-of-poor-sports-streaming-and-deliver-a-merry-christmas/

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I used to be worried that these things could probably be covered a lot better by Amazon but they make money in all other kinds of ways that Prime is the one that I care about the least. Its the amount of people using their cloud services that is the scariest. Imagine that every time you hit a favourite site you are potentially touching an Amazon block and that block is charging someone for hosting and they are making money that way. Its insane what those pennies add up to. 

I remember when Amazon got DDoSd (or a similar attack) and a fuckload of the internet was completely unreachable. Netflix is hosted on Amazon servers, so that was down as well.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I remember when Amazon got DDoSd (or a similar attack) and a fuckload of the internet was completely unreachable. Netflix is hosted on Amazon servers, so that was down as well.

The issue really starts to get crazy from a network perspective when you have overlaps in games because you can scale the servers but the question then starts to get asked not about how many are watching but how many are getting picture clarity that their local TV providers were offering. HD streaming is fine and most networks can host that but 4K is a slightly different beast and with the advent of HDR or FAKE SDR (SDR wrapped in HDR packaging which almost everyone is offering) some streaming services are starting to see dips in network quality over the line. Disney+ just went through this fiasco, HBO had its fair share of problems, Netflix ran into the issue with Amazon as well. But, this is the future of media and sports broadcasting so if anyone is going to do it I am glad its Amazon. 

Archived