talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How Bad is the Traffic in your Area?

football forum

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I find it hard to believe anywhere could be worse than India. I'm still scarred from my time there.

I remember reading on one of Jeremy Clarkson’s books on his experiences driving in India which was hilarious and had me in fits of hysterics.  I can’t quote it all and obviously for that reason the whole nature of that passage won’t be best demonstrated here and I won’t be doing it justice, but it went along the lines of;

”Of all the places in the world where driving becomes a death adventure it has to be India.  There are no road marks anywhere in India separating right from left down the centre which means people drive on the side they find themselves on and merrily continue to do so throughout their trip until they arrive at their destination.  They also don’t seem to have learned the part of reducing speed or the fact motor vehicles have breaks and gears.  You’ll find pot holes the size of moon craters and because of the main religion is Hindu, then apparently your future is written and they seem to adhere to this in their daily life like on an experience I had driving on a narrow road along the mountains where I found a bus heading toward me and on the same side of the road as me (the wrong side for him, I think).  I flashed my lights beeped my horn hysterically but he continued toward me at full pelt in whatever gear he had first set out on and because death seemed of no significance to him, I had to veer almost off the mountain side to take a risk on life or death, but at least with a small percentage of survival.”

@Stan

@Mel81x

@IgnisExcubitor

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Sounds about right. 

I remember going on a bridge on a drive from Mumbai to Delhi. It was several feet about a river but either side you looked, there were sizeable gaps on the edge of the surface you're driving on so you can see directly down in to the water. Not to mention you can hear how rickety and unsafe it was as you drive across! 

• Subscriber
49 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I remember reading on one of Jeremy Clarkson’s books on his experiences driving in India which was hilarious and had me in fits of hysterics.  I can’t quote it all and obviously for that reason the whole nature of that passage won’t be best demonstrated here and I won’t be doing it justice, but it went along the lines of;

”Of all the places in the world where driving becomes a death adventure it has to be India.  There are no road marks anywhere in India separating right from left down the centre which means people drive on the side they find the,selves on and merrily continue to do so throughout their trip until they arrive at their destination.  They also don’t seem to have learned the part of reducing speed or the fact motor vehicles have breaks and gears.  You’ll find pot holes the size of moon craters and because of the main religion is Hindu, then apparently your future is written and they seem to adhere to this in their daily life like on an experience I had driving on a narrow road along the mountains where I found a bus heading toward me and on the same side of the road as me (the wrong side for him, I think).  If,asked my lights beeped my form hysterically but he continued toward me at full pelt in whatever gear he had first set out on and because death seemed of no significance to him, I had to very almost off the mountain side to take a risk on life or death, but at least with a small percentage of survival.”

Clarkson isn't wrong in his assessment of driving up north in the mountains here. I went on a trip two years ago and let me just say that if you have the stones to try driving at the pace they do up there you have earned my respect. It isn't just the speed but the overtaking that can make you wonder how they'd do when the road is wide open but the guy we went with was having one of the most jovial conversations while two people on the trip were wondering when we were going to go off the side of the mountain. Think over the years I have learned my lesson as driving up there is a challenge unless you've got the right car for it and its far better to have someone drive you up there than drive yourself. There are nicer places to drive yourself but some of the mountain areas should be tackled by someone that knows the area better.

12 hours ago, Danny said:

I'm assuming you live closer to Croydon and much like any greater London area the roads were once built for the suburbs but the population growth has made them pointless during rush hour.

Most populated area in London in regards to area covered largely because of the convenience of The Home Office Building being located there. There's worse areas in London. I never bother with Tooting during busy hours, and it took me half hour to get down a side road in Kennington once, but it's horrendous during certain times.

5 hours ago, Harry said:

I find it hard to believe anywhere could be worse than India. I'm still scarred from my time there. 

Maniacs with no regard for the value of their own life. 

We lost a front wing mirror to a car coming the opposite direction after my driver tried (using the dirt median on the far side of the road) to overtake a car that was itself simultaneously overtaking a truck and we only just pulled back into our lane in time to avoid colliding with  oncoming traffic....

I honestly think our traffic can rival that of India - Mexico city can as well . We don't have cows in the middle of the road but what we do have is traffic being horrible in the most dangerous areas that criminals will try to take advantage of. I'm sure it happens in India too but as far as I'm aware we have a higher crime rate.

Just now, nudge said:

Crime rate doesn't have anything to do with traffic though. 

It doesn't, but its still a factor to me how bad it is.

If I go to La Molina which half an hour from where I live, yeah its slow but its a safe route even if it takes me 2-3 hours to get there from what is a 30 minute drive. If I go to the north of Lima, it takes 2-3 hours to go 15-30 minutes plus you have criminals taking advantage of it and pulling you out of the car to rob you.

I've not had it happen to me but family members and friends have had this problem.

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Blue said:

It doesn't, but its still a factor to me how bad it is.

If I go to La Molina which half an hour from where I live, yeah its slow but its a safe route even if it takes me 2-3 hours to get there from what is a 30 minute drive. If I go to the north of Lima, it takes 2-3 hours to go 15-30 minutes plus you have criminals taking advantage of it and pulling you out of the car to rob you.

I've not had it happen to me but family members and friends have had this problem.

Yeah I heard about that happening a lot, seems to be an issue specific to South/Latin America and Africa.

The worst traffic jam I've been stuck in was in Bangkok, 3 fucking hours in heavy rain for what is essentially a 20 minute ride max. One of the reasons I could never live in a big city.

Don't think we have a lot of crime rate in traffic, in fact I havent seen any such incidents all my life. But the chaos is outrageous, no one gives a flying fuck about the guy next to him even if he is on bicycle or on a lorry. And remember, during accidents, its always the mistake of the bigger vehicle driver who will be beaten by the crowd. Definitely we have one of the worst traffic in the world, not sure if we are number one but definitely up there with the top ones. 

But since Blue posted this thread,  the winner has to be some city in Peru. 

53 minutes ago, Asura said:

Don't think we have a lot of crime rate in traffic, in fact I havent seen any such incidents all my life. But the chaos is outrageous, no one gives a flying fuck about the guy next to him even if he is on bicycle or on a lorry. And remember, during accidents, its always the mistake of the bigger vehicle driver who will be beaten by the crowd. Definitely we have one of the worst traffic in the world, not sure if we are number one but definitely up there with the top ones. 

But since Blue posted this thread,  the winner has to be some city in Peru. 

We have 8 million people! All I said was I think us and Mexico City can rival India, whom I forgot about in the OP xD

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

We have 8 million people! All I said was I think us and Mexico City can rival India, whom I forgot about in the OP xD

nah, Im not claiming ours as the number one or anything like that. I said that only because how you make everything about Peru in almost half of your threads. :D

Just now, Asura said:

nah, Im not claiming ours as the number one or anything like that. I said that only because how you make everything about Peru in almost half of your threads. :D

Well you probably are number 1, China are also up there (although again, not sure if they are motorcycle or car traffic, they are very different)

I'm proud of what I add to this forum! so shush :D 

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Well you probably are number 1, China are also up there (although again, not sure if they are motorcycle or car traffic, they are very different)

I'm proud of what I add to this forum! so shush :D 

we have a melting pot of traffic. Cars, Motorcycles, Bicycles, Auto Rickshaws, Lorries, Buses, stray dogs and sometimes a cow or an elephant ....  everything goes together on the same road

On 04/02/2018 at 18:56, Kitchen Sales said:

London is just irritating stop start. Most bad traffic on Tyneside is caused by road works but the number of cars on the road is definitely going up faster than the infrastructure is.

I thought you lived in Canada?

Street directions change on a whim in Manila. Absolute chaos.

Chicago is a new city so it has citting planning going for it. The traffic can be bad but it is nearly always moving due to the grid nature of the infrastructure. Atlanta on the ptherhand is people moving in trucks/utes/lorrys the size of elephants going 25% faster than the speed limit, then the traffic halts for up to an hour.

2 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

That was about 5 or 6 years ago. I wasn't there very long. I've lived in Newcastle, Edinburgh and London since xD

I need to keep up. Its not as bad as the last one. I thought @Blue lived in New Zealand even though he has never lived there O.o

Archived