talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Winter Break Agreed in Principle by FA, Premier League and EFL

18 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Why would it?

If it works in other countries you have to give a good reason why it wouldn't work over here. Not the other way around.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Im not totally against this but i think it should be after the xmas fixtures.

Scrap the pointless league cup too.

I think it could be good for it to be Premier league u21 teams and the other leagues can put their first team in. I think @6666said this before and for me it may be a good idea.

26 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

That must mean it’s perfect then. 

Seems to me you already have your mind made up so pointless discussing it

There's no need for two games in three days at the end of December/start of January. Just have the Boxing Day game and another one before New year and fit the other game in somewhere else. That's the only thing I'd change about the Christmas schedule

17 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Seems to me you already have your mind made up so pointless discussing it

Not at all. I’m open to discuss it, I just wanted to see how you thought it was working abroad and you said “well, they don’t complain about it”. It’s hardly a glowing endorsement. 

14 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Not at all. I’m open to discuss it, I just wanted to see how you thought it was working abroad and you said “well, they don’t complain about it”. It’s hardly a glowing endorsement. 

Maybe not but if managers and players aren't uncomplaining I would assume it is working fine.  Seems like a reasonable assumption. Admittedly you could argue not many managers or players are complaining here. But I'm pretty certain there is strong evidence you are more likely to get an injury on a cold night on a hard winter pitch. I would also imagine going 9 months without a proper break at an elite level would be psychically and mentally draining. So for me there is a strong case for it.

Could England feasibly even have a winter break? It seems like there is games in England every weekend and through every week.

You'd need to scrap the League Cup (or at least take out the teams in European places), scrap Cup replays or start the season in July. Possibly even require all three.

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Maybe not but if managers and players aren't uncomplaining I would assume it is working fine.  Seems like a reasonable assumption. Admittedly you could argue not many managers or players are complaining here. But I'm pretty certain there is strong evidence you are more likely to get an injury on a cold night on a hard winter pitch. I would also imagine going 9 months without a proper break at an elite level would be psychically and mentally draining. So for me there is a strong case for it.

But Elite clubs playing Premier League, League Cup, FA Cup, European Football and International Football in a condensed period before and after Christmas, due to a two-week break in December/January, is going to go down as well as a fart on a packed Tube train.

Adding a break can't really be done logistically. It becomes a bit of a nightmare with the amount of tournaments teams participate in, at present. 

5 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Could England feasibly even have a winter break? It seems like there is games in England every weekend and through every week.

You'd need to scrap the League Cup (or at least take out the teams in European places), scrap Cup replays or start the season in July. Possibly even require all three.

I'd hand on heart say the Premier League will never start in July because of the lack of top players that would start a season in the aftermath of an International tournament.

16 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

I think that's over thinking it. Like I've said they do it in Spain. I know they don't have a league cup but doesn't the copa del ray have 2 legs. 

Some good shouts about scraping the League cup which is what I would like. I also hate how it is captial one cup one season, carling cup the next season and carabao cup in the current season. There were times I thought its a different competition every time they changed the sponsor name and called it that sponsor's cup. 

If they continue the league cup they should atleast have a rule where no more than 2 players from the first team cant play every match. Only the youth teams should be playing this competition. 

1 hour ago, Asura said:

Some good shouts about scraping the League cup which is what I would like. I also hate how it is captial one cup one season, carling cup the next season and carabao cup in the current season. There were times I thought its a different competition every time they changed the sponsor name and called it that sponsor's cup. 

If they continue the league cup they should atleast have a rule where no more than 2 players from the first team cant play every match. Only the youth teams should be playing this competition. 

The problem is in the money orientated football world they are unlikely to make it a youth cup. Like I said earlier I think it would be good to make it u21 for premiership teams and the leagues below can field their first team but I doubt it would happen

• Subscriber

An absolute categorical no from me. If you have two weeks off then you have to cram these games into an even smaller period of time, unless you start and end the season at different times.

The motive behind this isn't to help the national team. Surely no-one is naive enough to believe it is. The motive is so that the top clubs can whore themselves out to the rest of the world more frequently, just like the foreign big clubs do. That isn't helping fatigue, that's just taking the English game further from its roots.

The schedule is a joke, I agree, and if I was being ultra cynical, I'd say that these past few schedules have been so ridiculous that they effectively force this as the alternative. Trim it down around Christmas, but absolutely don't get rid of it.

I expect it to happen though. Our FA are excellent at copying the worst bits of foreign football and neglecting the best.

• Subscriber

Oh, and what I'd do...

Take the schedule from this season. I'll use our fixtures as an example. We had...

Dec 9 - Newcastle (a)
Dec 13 - Southampton (a)
Dec 16 - Crystal Palace (h)
Dec 19 - Man City (h) / LEAGUE CUP
Dec 23 - Man Utd (h)
Dec 26 - Watford (a)
Dec 30 - Liverpool (a)
Jan 1 - Huddersfield (h)
Jan 6 - Fleetwood (a) / FA CUP

So that's 9 games in 4 weeks, which is utter lunacy. The Southampton game is bizarre, and I've no idea why they put that one when they did.

I would personally get rid of the Southampton and Huddersfield games. I would start the season a week earlier, move Southampton away to a midweek in August (which we have the room to do as an extra week gives us a chance to play League Cup games) and then have the Huddersfield game as probably the opener.

What we had in August...

Aug 11 - Arsenal (a)
Aug 19 - Brighton (h)
Aug 22 - Sheff Utd (a) / LEAGUE CUP
Aug 26 - Man Utd (a)

What we'd then have in August if my alternative was implemented...

Aug 5 - Huddersfield (h)
Aug 12 - Arsenal (a)
Aug 15 - Southampton (a)
Aug 19 - Brighton (h)
Aug 22 - Sheff Utd (a) / LEAGUE CUP
Aug 26 - Man Utd (a)

Which leaves us with...

Dec 9 - Newcastle (a)
Dec 16 - Crystal Palace (h)
Dec 19 - Man City (h) / LEAGUE CUP
Dec 23 - Man Utd (h)
Dec 26 - Watford (a)
Dec 30 - Liverpool (a)
Jan 6 - Fleetwood (a)

Hopefully the Nations League will mean less pointless breaks so that could free some time up.

But seriously, good fucking luck cramming those December games into the rest of the season. Insane idea, utterly insane.

• Administrator

Winter breaks works fine across Europe. Wouldn’t be against it personally. It would very likely reduce the amount of hamstring injuries that occur over winter, what with the amount of games and the colder weather in tandem having claimed a fair few already this winter. I say try it; if it doesn’t work scrap it. No way to know unless it’s experimented. Speculation at best otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Too many fixtures at any point is dangerous. Why do they play games at all then?

Muscle injuries are preventable. Too many games at the very start of the season would lead to over training the players, triple sessions with managers who want high intensity just to get them match fit for added fixtures and injuries would occur. 

At least in December/Jan they are/should be nearing peak physical condition. 

Such a massive change to the English game, yet zero consultation with supporters has taken place.

I think the current schedule is excessive but we could meet somewhere in the middle. The best thing about Christmas is the football.

• The title was changed to Winter Break Agreed in Principle by FA, Premier League and EFL

Archived