talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football opinions you have changed

football forum

One thing I have noticed over the years is that football fans generally seem quite reluctant to change their opinions on things. I'm actually quite the opposite. I realize there is a great deal about football I don't know and so I'm pretty open minded on most stuff. For example for a long time I didn't think there was a problem with to many foreigners in the premier league. And although I do think there are other issues I think it is a problem that needs at least some looking at.
So what are the things you have changed your mind on over the years.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I used to think KDB wouldn't be any more than a 'good player. 

I think a lot of Chelsea  fans didn't. I got caught up in the van Persie hype a bit. Yes he had a very good final two season for us and he was world class at utd. But he was so injury prone that for most of his arsenal career he was nothing special. In fact when Adebayor left he was the main man upfront. Had Van Persie left no one really would have cared that much.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Spike said:

I change my opinion all the time. I'm open to new ideas and concepts. For instance I used to think Pep's Bayern was rubbish.

I remember we disagreed on that subject quite alot previously, what changed your view out of curiosity?

I used to think it's okay to follow a team that is not directly from your area. I mean, maybe it is okay, but to be a real supporter... it's nicer to really know and feel the city your club comes from. Really makes the word "supporting" more meaningful. 

11 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I remember we disagreed on that subject quite alot previously, what changed your view out of curiosity?

I realised I was basing it on previous success in a cup competition. Ultimately a silly thing to do.

9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I used to think it's okay to follow a team that is not directly from your area. I mean, maybe it is okay, but to be a real supporter... it's nicer to really know and feel the city your club comes from. Really makes the word "supporting" more meaningful. 

There is only one team where I'm from, and it is rugby league. The other clubs are sports like bowling and golf.

50 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Well that is opinion I have never had and am unlikely to change

• Subscriber

Mine can change quite regularly, but a lot fluctuate, I'm undecided on a lot of things - for example, how good is Klopp? Is Ronaldo one of the best ever? 

But my big one this season has got to be Roy Hodgson. When we got linked to him last season I was absolutely shit scared. I absolutely did not want that bloke within 100 miles of us (thankfully he ended up at Palace, which is South London, which is just over 100). I didn't want that washed up arsehole who neglected those same players he'd be managing, by and large for his Euro 2016 squad after they'd produced the ultimate football miracle at the expense of players who weren't even fit. Absolutely not.

But you cannot knock the job he's done at Palace. He's taken the worst ever start to a Premier League season and turned it into a side I'm quite confident will survive. He's added organisation and has recovered his reputation somewhat, and he deserves credit for that.

Although I'm still not having him here xD

• Subscriber

Oh, and another one, sadly, is Riyad Mahrez.

Absolutely not a slight on what I think of how good he is as a footballer. I think he's the most gifted player we've ever had, and are likely to have in my lifetime. He's absolutely fantastic, and he can play at the top.

But his attitude was something I always stuck up for. The amount of arguments I had at work with people who bashed him, called him lazy, he's shitting on the club etc... last season.

I tried to explain that it isn't the case, he isn't deliberately playing badly or not trying, he's playing in a side that outright refuses to keep the ball and one that has absolutely nothing built to his strengths. It isn't all on him. He's got a good attitude to football, has a history of making some very wise decisions (signing for Le Havre over PSG because of their track record, for example) and he just wants to play with that freedom.

But after this last week? I cannot defend him anymore. It's a disgrace if he's missing training without permission while we're paying him six figures a week. He is actively hurting our side now. Diabate's a talent, but he's nowhere near having the sort of impact Mahrez does. I'll say straight off I think if he plays our last two games there's no way we only take a point, and with it being tight with Burnley, I don't think it's exaggerating to say that he could cost us European football this year.

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

Oh, and another one, sadly, is Riyad Mahrez.

Absolutely not a slight on what I think of how good he is as a footballer. I think he's the most gifted player we've ever had, and are likely to have in my lifetime. He's absolutely fantastic, and he can play at the top.

But his attitude was something I always stuck up for. The amount of arguments I had at work with people who bashed him, called him lazy, he's shitting on the club etc... last season.

I tried to explain that it isn't the case, he isn't deliberately playing badly or not trying, he's playing in a side that outright refuses to keep the ball and one that has absolutely nothing built to his strengths. It isn't all on him. He's got a good attitude to football, has a history of making some very wise decisions (signing for Le Havre over PSG because of their track record, for example) and he just wants to play with that freedom.

But after this last week? I cannot defend him anymore. It's a disgrace if he's missing training without permission while we're paying him six figures a week. He is actively hurting our side now. Diabate's a talent, but he's nowhere near having the sort of impact Mahrez does. I'll say straight off I think if he plays our last two games there's no way we only take a point, and with it being tight with Burnley, I don't think it's exaggerating to say that he could cost us European football this year.

Not to go of topic but I think the manger you have is decent. I think Hodson would do a good job with a team like you. Liverpool aside his record is pretty decent. And as for England well he made mistakes but for me his players let him down. I mean England should beat Iceland with a championship standard manager. Even if he sets them up wrong and makes mistakes the players have to take responsibility. Also in 2012 I don't think England could have really done better with the players they have.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Not to go of topic but I think the manger you have is decent. I think Hodson would do a good job with a team like you. Liverpool aside his record is pretty decent. And as for England well he made mistakes but for me his players let him down. I mean England should beat Iceland with a championship standard manager. Even if he sets them up wrong and makes mistakes the players have to take responsibility. Also in 2012 I don't think England could have really done better with the players they have.

I wouldn't go with Hodgson because of how old he is, although I've at least come to respect him more as a manager. He did a great job at Fulham and West Brom, and I should've paid more attention to that as it's far more similar a scenario to what he'd get here or at Palace to what he has at England, which for me, is football's ultimate poisoned chalice.

Claude Puel to a degree can be thrown into this. I was far from enamoured when he was favourite for our job but I've really warmed to him, spoke to people who've followed him closely in France etc... and I think he will prove to be a very good appointment for us. He's got a track record of over-achieving with less fancied sides, and he's got us playing some really nice football. Of all the managers that clubs have appointed midseason, Puel is the one I'd pick first.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

I wouldn't go with Hodgson because of how old he is, although I've at least come to respect him more as a manager. He did a great job at Fulham and West Brom, and I should've paid more attention to that as it's far more similar a scenario to what he'd get here or at Palace to what he has at England, which for me, is football's ultimate poisoned chalice.

Claude Puel to a degree can be thrown into this. I was far from enamoured when he was favourite for our job but I've really warmed to him, spoke to people who've followed him closely in France etc... and I think he will prove to be a very good appointment for us. He's got a track record of over-achieving with less fancied sides, and he's got us playing some really nice football. Of all the managers that clubs have appointed midseason, Puel is the one I'd pick first.

I thought you said all of the managers Leicester had picked then for a moment. I was gonna say I think Ranieri would feel hard done by :D

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I thought you said all of the managers Leicester had picked then for a moment. I was gonna say I think Ranieri would feel hard done by :D

xD Nah, although strangely, I can actually see more logic in the Puel appointment than the Ranieri one. I'm talking how I felt when it actually happened here, but my honest thought when we appointed Ranieri was an absolute disaster waiting to happen, which for me adds to the whole story, because I was in the majority there.

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

xD Nah, although strangely, I can actually see more logic in the Puel appointment than the Ranieri one. I'm talking how I felt when it actually happened here, but my honest thought when we appointed Ranieri was an absolute disaster waiting to happen, which for me adds to the whole story, because I was in the majority there.

Yeah I know I was the same. I think most on here thought he'd be gone by Christmas

• Subscriber

Iago Aspas, thats my biggest opinion changer over the last year. When he was with us I didn't think he'd amount to anything because he looked like he couldn't run without tripping and look at him now.

Change my mind on all sorts of things all the time and football is no exception.

Kevin de Bruyne named further up by Cicero I think... I also thought he’d be nothing more than just a good player or maybe even very good.

Another thing I have changed my mind on is Özil... Used to think he was lazy and now I don’t, but I’m sure I will again in a couple of weeks. Infact Özil has raised the percentages in having changed my mind by easily over 70%. :ph34r:

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Another thing I have changed my mind on is Özil... Used to think he was lazy and now I don’t, but I’m sure I will again in a couple of weeks. Infact Özil has raised the percentages in having changed my mind by easily over 70%. :ph34r:

He really has turned a corner for the better but lets see how long this lasts. Even someone like Lukaku can impress before he finally regressed back to zero state.

I don't think anyone could have predicted how good Harry Kane was going to be when he was coming through and playing on a Thursday night for Spurs in less than salubrious destinations in the Europa League. I envisaged him being a bottom end Premier League/top end Championship player. 

11 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Iago Aspas, thats my biggest opinion changer over the last year. When he was with us I didn't think he'd amount to anything because he looked like he couldn't run without tripping and look at him now.

Look at him before Liverpool as well though, he was brilliant then as well.

The problem with Aspas is that he only seems to play well for his hometown club, Celta for some reason, but when he moved to both Liverpool and Sevilla, it didn't work out for him at all.

6 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I don't think anyone could have predicted how good Harry Kane was going to be when he was coming through and playing on a Thursday night for Spurs in less than salubrious destinations in the Europa League. I envisaged him being a bottom end Premier League/top end Championship player. 

@Storts would beg to differ xD

Many things actually.

1) I used to think Barcelona play very boring football with all the 1000s of passes they make.

2) Used to think Ronaldo is the best player because of his pace, goal scoring abilities.

3) Thought Brendan Rodgers is a brilliant manager as Liverpool were very good under him but later realised it was mostly down to Suarez being a beast.

4) And the worst of all, I thought Ozil is a better midfielder because he had more assists than the likes of Iniesta when he was with Real Madrid. 

5) Thought Daley Blind is a world class passer after THAT pass he made which lead to Van Persie's header against Spain. Maybe he still is

6) Robben would be useless in the world cup 2014 as he hit 30 by then and because he relies mostly on his pace.

Archived