talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football opinions you have changed

football forum

3 hours ago, Asura said:

I used to think Barcelona play very boring football with all the 1000s of passes they make.

I still think the way they played under Guardiola at times was simply a more beautiful and skillful, but no less cowardly, version of Mourinho-style anti-football. I don't think that of their current (and more recent) teams, but they've changed rather than me.

@thread

Firmino's the player I've been most wrong about. Like many others, I failed to see the potential in players like Kane and De Bruyne, but I can write that off as having barely watched them. I watched a whole year of Firmino and thought he was bang average at best.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
13 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Look at him before Liverpool as well though, he was brilliant then as well.

The problem with Aspas is that he only seems to play well for his hometown club, Celta for some reason, but when he moved to both Liverpool and Sevilla, it didn't work out for him at all.

Agreed. When you look at his time in Sevilla as well his goals turnover ratio was horrible and then he went back to Celta and just got infinitely better. Maybe the system at Celta suits him more than what he got at Sevilla or Liverpool but he is a strange oddity in how he suddenly started to click.

I've changed a lot.

The big one for me is Paolo Guerrero. For the longest time I thought he was massively overrated by some. I thought he was just another player who is good but not a top top footballer. I've changed that sentiment last year where he proved to me he is one of the best strikers in at least South America. Pollo Vignolo was spot on about him.

I also thought Pep was an overrated manager. While I still standby that he failed at Bayern, he proved to us all this year that if you give him a little time then he is one to be reckoned with. Best manager in the world.

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

I also thought Pep was an overrated manager. While I still standby that he failed at Bayern, he proved to us all this year that if you give him a little time then he is one to be reckoned with. Best manager in the world.

Except it wasn't just "time" he was given, was it? 

Just now, Cicero said:

Except it wasn't just "time" he was given, was it? 

True, but my point there was that with given resources he's a great manager. He has a great philosophy and understands the tactical game.

If he's at Stoke, he obviously wouldn't be doing as well but I think the same can be said for any top manager.

17 minutes ago, Blue said:

True, but my point there was that with given resources he's a great manager. He has a great philosophy and understands the tactical game.

If he's at Stoke, he obviously wouldn't be doing as well but I think the same can be said for any top manager.

He's been financially backed more than any manager in the world (apart from Emery this season).  

Half a billion in two seasons.... 

Now, what holds true  is his philosophy. as when he does have the players that meets his style, he produces some of the best football in the world. But when he doesn't have the player he needs, he can't adapt to the style of the players at his disposal accordingly, as last season suggested barely managing a top 4 finish.

The whole idea that he can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear is laughable to the highest degree. 

47 minutes ago, Cicero said:

The whole idea that he can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear is laughable to the highest degree. 

Whoever believed or was lead to believe that is an innocent fool.  What’s for sure though is that Pep is more diverse than just giving him money... He knows youth as well and will give it a chance if it’s what he requires for the football he believes in.  He’s never lied to anyone in saying that he can adapt to players and any style, quite the contrary.  He’s a dictator of one style of football and a believer in that this is the only style that produces what he says is the best football to be seen.

• Subscriber

I thought Neymar was over-rated, and at one point actually thought Lucas Moura would be better. Cringeworthy.

Harry Kane. It took a while to truly accept that bang average loanee has become a genuinely top class forward.

I like Neil Warnock. It's a cardinal sin for any Leicester fan to say that, but I do. He's hilarious. I'm crossing everything for Cardiff to come up and for him to be on the end of a Jon Moss special. He's also a good manager. Not quite PL level, but in the Championship he's clearly got an excellent method.

• Subscriber

Oh, and how could I possibly forget Jamie Vardy. May 2013 I think he's finished at Leicester. It was a good story and I got the whole reason we took a punt on him, but he's just out of his depth, he isn't good enough for the Championship. A million quid on a 25 year old from non-league and he's just not got it. Bounces back with an unbelievably good season, and becomes the key player in our Championship romping year.

March 2015, he's gone six months without a goal and I'm starting to think that while he was excellent in the Championship, he's again looking massively out of his depth, he looks every inch a one trick pony and the defenders in this league are just too clever for it.

Only for him to look like the player of the year before in the last couple of months of that season, and the following year to score in 11 consecutive league games and be the top scorer in a side that won the league, just one goal off the golden boot.

No coming back from that though. At some point around 2015/2016 I decided he's an excellent striker and there'd be no going back on this one. He's done it once, he can do it again. Even during his barren spell last season there was no way I deciding that it was him being crap, when it was clearly poor tactics getting the best from literally not one player.

I actually cannot believe that man up front for us was considered by pretty much our entire fanbase as a write-off once. His story at Leicester alone is one hell of a turnaround, let alone where he was before. The man I once was happy to see loaned to Sheffield Wednesday to get him off the wage bill ended up becoming the most famous player we've got, and have possibly had.

So yes, I'd say my opinion on him changed at some point.

Archived