talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ronald Koeman Appointed Netherlands Boss

football forum

Former Everton manager Ronald Koeman has been appointed as manager of the Netherlands.

Koeman, who has been out of work since being sacked by Everton in October, will take charge for the first time against England on 23 March.

He has signed a four-and-half-year contract up to and including the 2022 World Cup.

The 54-year-old replaces Dick Advocaat who resigned after failing to guide the Netherlands to the 2018 World Cup.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting choice. Failed at the end at Everton but I suppose he's a step up over the previous managers. If he knows that "dutch style" then he can work.

• The title was changed to Ronald Koeman Appointed Netherlands Boss

------------------------------Cillessen------------------------------

Tete-----------De Vrij/de Ligt------------Van Dijk----------Ake

-------------------------Van den Beek-------

----------------Wijnaldum----------Strootman------

Depay/Promes-------Dost--------Kluivert

1 minute ago, VanPaddy said:

Haha no not Irish, I just forgot to change it back. Live in London and outside of Amsterdam also from time to time. 

So is the Irish thing just a joke?

57 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Yes, was going to support them in the World cup, but they lost in the play off :(

Ah right. You can understand my confusion

14 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

A man who looked so incredibly tactically inept at Everton, yet so tactically astute at Southampton. Interesting choice.

Had a better team at Southampton and better scouting behind him which would make a big difference.

Koeman knows the Dutch game inside out and almost definitely all the Dutch players coming through with potential. He is a very good choice for this job on paper to be honest and he’s been brave to take it on at this moment in time where a lot of work is required.

9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Not from you Dan.

He had the likes of Mane, Van Dijk, Bertrand, Wanyama, Fonte, Pelle, Romeu, Ward Prowse...that was a quality team and not mentioning the unsung hero type players like Davis, Long or Tadic who fit the system. Definitely better than the side he got sacked with this season and it may only be by 3 points but took 3 more that season with Southampton than he did last season with you.

46 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

That Southampton side was very good. I felt Koeman got given a fantastic foundation by Pottechino, something he didn't have when he went in at Everton but he did a respectable job in his first season but the signings he made when given some money to spend were awful.

Walsh bought alot of the Everton players

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Koeman knows the Dutch game inside out and almost definitely all the Dutch players coming through with potential. He is a very good choice for this job on paper to be honest and he’s been brave to take it on at this moment in time where a lot of work is required.

Agreed completely. He knows the Johan Cruyff ways both as a player and a manager which will be an asset.

19 hours ago, VanPaddy said:

------------------------------Cillessen------------------------------

Tete-----------De Vrij/de Ligt------------Van Dijk----------Ake

-------------------------Van den Beek-------

----------------Wijnaldum----------Strootman------

Depay/Promes-------Dost--------Kluivert

I like the look of that lineup. I'm no dutch football expert but I know somewhat. De Ligt is a talent as is Kluivert. Dost is a proven goalscorer and I'd prefer Promes over Depay. 

Vilhena to get a chance?

I think we'd all like to see Holland get back to something like they were, reasonably competitive at tournaments etc. Koeman seems a decent appointment too.

Only thing I'd say about RK is that he didn't give youth much of a chance at Southampton. Not like Pochettino did. He was quite reluctant to bleed them in.

So if Holland's gameplan is to look at the future Dutch team for the next Euro's/World Cup using youngsters, I will be interested to see how he goes about this.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

I think we'd all like to see Holland get back to something like they were, reasonably competitive at tournaments etc. Koeman seems a decent appointment too.

Only thing I'd say about RK is that he didn't give youth much of a chance at Southampton. Not like Pochettino did. He was quite reluctant to bleed them in.

So if Holland's gameplan is to look at the future Dutch team for the next Euro's/World Cup using youngsters, I will be interested to see how he goes about this.

I think that is just England on a whole,  regarding youth, they are not giving a fair share of a chance, Koeman has coached all 3 of the big teams in Holland, he used a lot of the academy players at Ajax as well at Feyenoord.    This appointment is the best for Dutch football, we really have some great potential and they need that step up to help in their development. 

Always enjoyed watching Netherlands play in international tournaments along with Germany and Italy (Italy mainly due to some players like Totti, Buffon and Del Piero). Hope they do well under Koeman and qualify for the next euros. 

Archived