talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pochettino: Diving Is A Lovely Trick & Referee Errors Are Beautiful

1 minute ago, Storts said:

Confused as to how someone can get such strong feelings without ever having experienced large parts of what rivalry is about? Not that confusing. I hate Arsenal and Chelsea, and could include West Ham, because of every day encounters with their fans, going to our matches with them etc. If I lived a long way away, didn't see the rivalries on a daily basis would I feel as strongly? I doubt it. Football is tribal, long distance doesn't really play in to that for me.

I agree to a certain extent but my feelings on that are diminishing. Now when I encounter an Everton fan and they get all ‘come on then’.... I just laugh xD

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Storts said:

Confused as to how someone can get such strong feelings without ever having experienced large parts of what rivalry is about? Not that confusing. I hate Arsenal and Chelsea, and could include West Ham, because of every day encounters with their fans, going to our matches with them etc. If I lived a long way away, didn't see the rivalries on a daily basis would I feel as strongly? I doubt it. Football is tribal, long distance doesn't really play in to that for me.

I agree that football is tribal. And I agree that it makes sense to pick the club you support (your tribe) based off where you live. But we now live in the 21st century - we've got fans of clubs from London that are from the Midlands or the Middle East, we've got Liverpool fans from Norway and the Middle East, we've got fans of Manchester Clubs from London (is that new though?).

Regardless, these people have chosen a side. They've chosen a tribe. The clubs they've chosen have rivals. They're likely not going to like their rivals. That shouldn't be surprising or confusing to you, and if it is... that's sort of funny I suppose.

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

I agree to a certain extent but my feelings on that are diminishing. Now when I encounter an Everton fan and they get all ‘come on then’.... I just laugh xD

Haha you going to take this @Cannabis?

I think social media (and forums to an extent) has changed this quite a lot, and maybe it's diminishing now because of it - as encounters even if online are far more common 

Just now, Storts said:

Ah fair enough - he meant excessive interest. 

I guess again the point is, does it really ruin the sport? It's been part of it for a very long, pochettino has fallen foul of it against England no less, I wouldn't say the sport is ruined 

I believe its only ruining the sport in recent times because of more technology. In the past decades there wasnt so much technology to show multiple angles of the play with slow motion replays so no one was really sure if it was a dive or not and everyone just had an opinion about it depending on what side they are on but now everyone knows clearly if thats a dive or not because of the excessive technology. Yeah I agree not really ruined but its not good for the game IMO

I hate diving but I hate overreacting even more like someone’s been shot or holding an area of the body which didn’t receive any impact.  If we go down that route we can say we hate a very large percentage of what football contains.

Haha you going to take this @Cannabis?

I think social media (and forums to an extent) has changed this quite a lot, and maybe it's diminishing now because of it - as encounters even if online are far more common 

For the worse I might add... Everton have become pretty irrelevant to Liverpool fans lately. 

I much prefer our games against you lot, United, Arsenal, City, Chelsea & West Brom. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I agree that football is tribal. And I agree that it makes sense to pick the club you support (your tribe) based off where you live. But we now live in the 21st century - we've got fans of clubs from London that are from the Midlands or the Middle East, we've got Liverpool fans from Norway and the Middle East, we've got fans of Manchester Clubs from London (is that new though?).

Regardless, these people have chosen a side. They've chosen a tribe. The clubs they've chosen have rivals. They're likely not going to like their rivals. That shouldn't be surprising or confusing to you, and if it is... that's sort of funny I suppose.

I get that - and I don't have a problem with global fanbases, it's great for the Premier League (although some would argue against that) - just I feel that certain emotions can only be felt from real life experiences. Maybe I'm misguided though, wouldn't be the first time.

I support American sports teams, and certainly feel a sense of that tribal expect, but at the same time, I'm sure I don't have the level of dislike for rivals that others that live it do. I just feel sometimes what I see is overcompensating. You can have strong negative feelings and still be rational - I guess on the whole I just don't think it is and it's blinkered nonsense. Stuff like media darlings is just so incorrect, they try and sell our players every single day. We get a very raw deal from SSN etc. consistently ignoring us. The stuff this week after the Liverpool game has been ridiculously over the top, considering the amount of decisions we've had against us over the years and it is just ignored, but it is what it is. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

For the worse I might add... Everton have become pretty irrelevant to Liverpool fans lately. 

I much prefer our games against you lot, United, Arsenal, City, Chelsea & West Brom. 

Our games are going to be class next year. 

Can you imagine if we play each other in the Champions League? That could be fiery 

Just now, Storts said:

I get that - and I don't have a problem with global fanbases, it's great for the Premier League (although some would argue against that) - just I feel that certain emotions can only be felt from real life experiences. Maybe I'm misguided though, wouldn't be the first time.

I support American sports teams, and certainly feel a sense of that tribal expect, but at the same time, I'm sure I don't have the level of dislike for rivals that others that live it do. I just feel sometimes what I see is overcompensating. You can have strong negative feelings and still be rational - I guess on the whole I just don't think it is and it's blinkered nonsense. Stuff like media darlings is just so incorrect, they try and sell our players every single day. We get a very raw deal from SSN etc. consistently ignoring us. The stuff this week after the Liverpool game has been ridiculously over the top, considering the amount of decisions we've had against us over the years and it is just ignored, but it is what it is. 

I don't even think Americans understand tribalism in their sports fandom. At least not on the West Coast - it's all pretty fucking tame. I've heard it's different for college rivalries. I also think that Spurs probably could have avoided some pressure regarding diving after some controversial dives after playing us if Pochettino hadn't said "diving is a lovely trick."

Our games are going to be class next year. 

Can you imagine if we play each other in the Champions League? That could be fiery 

It could get like our time under Rafa when we had a rivalry with Chelsea. 

Good times. 

We’d thrash you in the Champions League :coffee:

9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

You run. Just like all the Reds do. 

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'm the opposite. Maybe it's tradition - but there are always three fixtures I look out for when the fixture lists are out.

1.) Man Utd, 2.) Everton.... and distantly behind them is 3.) Chelsea (and that only popped up after the Rafa-Mourinho rivalry, where we also played Chelsea an outrageous number of times).

Oh and then you've said West Brom and now I think you're taking the piss xDxDxDxD oopsies.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't even think Americans understand tribalism in their sports fandom. At least not on the West Coast - it's all pretty fucking tame. I've heard it's different for college rivalries. I also think that Spurs probably could have avoided some pressure regarding diving after some controversial dives after playing us if Pochettino hadn't said "diving is a lovely trick."

That's true - college sports a bit different definitely but on the whole rivalries are so fickle, they switch depending on who's doing well. 

Possibly right on that front although tbh neither penalty was a dive, and the one dive was Alli's which he was rightly booked for. 

Just now, Storts said:

That's true - college sports a bit different definitely but on the whole rivalries are so fickle, they switch depending on who's doing well. 

Possibly right on that front although tbh neither penalty was a dive, and the one dive was Alli's which he was rightly booked for. 

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one, lol. 

In any case, I must be one of the few people that doesn't think there's a real rivalry between us or you lot. At least not in the sense that I fucking hate Spurs the way I hate Man Utd/Everton (even with Chelsea, once Mourinho left, I found them much more tolerable even though they're still largely cunts). I mean, we are definitely rivals in that we're competing for the same part of the table, have good squads, with good managers, and play attacking football. And it was fucking irritating as fuck to draw like that, especially after that fucking brilliant goal from Salah. But I just don't see it developing into a real spicy rivalry. Sure I want to finish above Spurs and win more shite than them. But I want to finish above every side in England and win more shite than the rest of them, so you know... that's not really anything special.

If Klopp & Poch pull a Rafa & Mourinho and then we end up playing you an outrageous number of times... then the spiciness factor will definitely be upgraded a bit.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one, lol. 

In any case, I must be one of the few people that doesn't think there's a real rivalry between us or you lot. At least not in the sense that I fucking hate Spurs the way I hate Man Utd/Everton (even with Chelsea, once Mourinho left, I found them much more tolerable even though they're still largely cunts). I mean, we are definitely rivals in that we're competing for the same part of the table, have good squads, with good managers, and play attacking football. And it was fucking irritating as fuck to draw like that, especially after that fucking brilliant goal from Salah. But I just don't see it developing into a real spicy rivalry. Sure I want to finish above Spurs and win more shite than them. But I want to finish above every side in England and win more shite than the rest of them, so you know... that's not really anything special.

If Klopp & Poch pull a Rafa & Mourinho and then we end up playing you an outrageous number of times... then the spiciness factor will definitely be upgraded a bit.

No that's spot on I don't disagree - it's not a rivalry, just important games between good games

1 hour ago, Asura said:

You cant improve the referees without additional help like the VAR or something else, the refs have reached the human limit and they cant get any right(er) decisions by themselves alone. 

Well thats just plain wroing given the referees make the final decision with VAR and have shown they can still get it wrong.

The referees need to be improved, forget adding VAR.

41 minutes ago, Storts said:

Could be that he hates Tottenham because your club is full of cunts? :what:

Archived