talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pochettino: Diving Is A Lovely Trick & Referee Errors Are Beautiful

• Subscriber

With or without VAR, it is diving that is killing the game. It isn't a sport any more sometimes, just men running around waiting for an opportunity to fling their knees and arms in the air like they've been shot as soon as an opponent gets within a few inches of them near or in the penalty box. 

In many cases it's absolute fraud but it's become so commonplace that people have forgotten that it's cheating on so many levels. 

Also as an aside it's hilariously predictable that Niasse and Lanzini both got retrospective bans for diving as they were easy targets while none of the big names who get away with it every few games have been touched. Called it at the time.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Holier than thou mate! Don’t give me that dogma. English players dive like everyone else anywhere.

Read again. I said that. I said English players are long gone now. They have been infected by this culture. In part because masculinity in English football has weakened. English football was notoriously a gentlemans game played by thugs. It is now a con mans game played by metrosexuals.

Only way to reverse it is to dock points on teams or ban players for a long long time. If you want to stop people gaming the system then get authoritarian, its the only language of authority they know since they don't know what value is in treating others as an equal. Social ostracism and chastising has not worked, footballers live in a bubble, protected by managers like Pochettino.

Dwight Gayle this season is pretty much proof of someone who has been told to dive. Things are getting worse, embarassingly so.

12 hours ago, 6666 said:

Well that's total bullshit. Fouling someone to stop the play is you deciding to accept the punishment for a foul. And wasting time in the corner flag is annoying but it's not even against the rules.

You Barcelona fans trying to justifying diving as being like other annoying things that happen on the pitch isn't surprising but it's still ridiculous. 

No, it's all equally as cuntish. It's shit house behaviour. I'm not justifying it one bit, where did I justify diving? I just hate shite teams who waste time by standing near the corner flag shielding the ball to waste time. It's an awful tactic and no better than diving, nor is intentionally fouling someone. 

Stop trying to justify the dirty side of English football culture. You doing this is exactly the same as Pochettino defending diving. Weird how an Arsenal fan would do so mind, considering how you are the least English side in the country and are massively known for being a team of diving twats and moaning cunts who cry about the opposition's rough tactics whenever they lose. 

Arsenal are also the biggest wannabe rip off of Barcelona that I've ever known. At least Spurs have their own identity and know who they are. 

8 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

No, it's all equally as cuntish. It's shit house behaviour. I'm not justifying it one bit, where did I justify diving? I just hate shite teams who waste time by standing near the corner flag shielding the ball to waste time. It's an awful tactic and no better than diving, nor is intentionally fouling someone. 

Stop trying to justify the dirty side of English football culture. You doing this is exactly the same as Pochettino defending diving. Weird how an Arsenal fan would do so mind, considering how you are the least English side in the country and are massively known for being a team of diving twats and moaning cunts who cry about the opposition's rough tactics whenever they lose. 

Arsenal are also the biggest wannabe rip off of Barcelona that I've ever known. At least Spurs have their own identity and know who they are. 

The bit I didn’t get is the “Stop trying to justify diving” quirk.  Who’s done that?  Just the same as Pochettino being accused of justifying diving in his comments which he hasn’t done at all and where we have a brilliant mind digging headline pshychosis,

I think I’ve personally been one of the most condemning of diving in the thread concerning retrospective punishments and how they should be administered.  Infact I’ve been one of the most radical in that sense.

I think Pochettino has been very very smart or maybe lucky in the way he worded it all...  I’d rather think he’s been very intelligent because it’s done the exact job he seems to be talking about in his comments.

Edit: Just noticed you’ve accused Poch of justifying diving too mate! xD

I'm not sure where I have justified diving regarding Barcelona players either way xD(not like this has anything to do with a club in Spain?) as the only time I have is during a Clásico once in which Mourinho set out his team to do nothing but commit fouls. That evening he took the Spanish game back to the 80s and you couldn't blame players for responding in the manner in which they did. Arsenal would have done the same as they are a similar type of team in this sense. They wouldn't have been wrong either as Mourinho's tactics that night were disgusting. 

Other than that, I always lamented Neymar and Alves doing it, or when Iniesta used to do it in his younger days or how Suárez can be prone to it now. It's an embarrassing part of the game, but then so is fouling without any intention of getting the ball in order to slow the play down and waste time. There are a few things I'd label as being equally as bad to be honest. 

Pochettino definitely justifies diving. He basically encourages giving it a go and that football is about who is better at conning the ref. A horrendous view of the game. It is being dragged through the dirt with a shyster mentality like this.

The last 15 years has seen a dramatic rise in players claiming anything and everything, like a throw in when it blatantly shouldn't be for them. We had Ferguson and Wenger teaching players to bully referees in the late 90s. Both horrid blokes. Now everyone does it.

The FA have been absolutely useless in dealing with the collapse of discipline. 

1 minute ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I'm not sure where I have justified diving regarding Barcelona players either way xD(not like this has anything to do with a club in Spain?) as the only time I have is during a Clásico once in which Mourinho set out his team to do nothing but commit fouls. That evening he took the Spanish game back to the 80s and you couldn't blame players for responding in the manner in which they did. Arsenal would have done the same as they are a similar type of team in this sense. They wouldn't have been wrong either as Mourinho's tactics that night were disgusting. 

Other than that, I always lamented Neymar and Alves doing it, or when Iniesta used to do it in his younger days or how Suárez can be prone to it now. It's an embarrassing part of the game, but then so is fouling without any intention of getting the ball in order to slow the play down and waste time. There are a few things I'd label as being equally as bad to be honest. 

Add to that Busquets overreacting to fouls like someone’s injected him with cyanide! He’s cut down on those unnecessary antics to be honest but it would make me cringe and squirm when I saw it.

That Man Utd player Luke Young (is that his name?) went through a period where you wanted a sniper in the stands to do the job properly too.

• Subscriber
54 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Add to that Busquets overreacting to fouls like someone’s injected him with cyanide! He’s cut down on those unnecessary antics to be honest but it would make me cringe and squirm when I saw it.

That Man Utd player Luke Young (is that his name?) went through a period where you wanted a sniper in the stands to do the job properly too.

Ashley Young.

Luke Young plays for QPR xD.

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

That's a ridiculous response as you didn't at any moment even take notice of me explaining to you the difference between diving, professional fouls and keeping the ball in the corner.

Deciding to throw everything that annoys you into the same category because you don't want to think is genuinely lazy.

I know Barcelona fans need to suggest diving isn't cheating and it's the same as other things happening on the pitch because it's part of the Barcelona DNA that's drilled into players but it in no way makes any sort of logical sense.

You Barcelona bum boys patting eachother on the arse for sticking up for players diving and cheating is hilarious.

If you guys didn't have Barcelona as one of the teams you support then there's no way you'd be arguing that Pochettino has a point here and what he's saying isn't actually that ridiculous.

You may say you don't truly agree with him but suggesting things that aren't cheating are on par with things that are cheating suggests you're quite desperate to distract away from the discussion.

19 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I hope you haven’t gone into law as a potential judge or ever sit on a jury.

Yeah, Barcelona fans would probably hate a judge that tries to sort shit out. Half your team should be in prison for tax evasion. :coffee:

1 hour ago, Danny said:

6666 on the verge of a meltdown here

He's already having a fully blown one. But it's not unusual for him to bring up a load of nonsense that has nothing to do with what is being discussed whenever someone uses logic. He is already resorting to the petty insults as well I see.

It's all dishonesty in the end, it's the same.

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

If you guys didn't have Barcelona as one of the teams you support then there's no way you'd be arguing that Pochettino has a point here and what he's saying isn't actually that ridiculous.

You may say you don't truly agree with him but suggesting things that aren't cheating are on par with things that are cheating suggests you're quite desperate to distract away from the discussion.

I haven't once claimed anyone has a point, only that you don't have one as you seem to deem one form of cheating as being more acceptable than the other. 

You will end up bursting bloods vessels one day with all this anger of yours :coffee:

I get what he means, there is a snide, coward aspect to diving that isn't there with a professional foul where you essentially taking a hit. Im not including horror tackles in that by the way, as they are a separate category. Divers do tend be snakey shithouses though.

For example; Busquests antics against Inter years ago is such flagrant dishonesty and attempt yo fuck over a fellow professional that it merits attention that a tug of the shirt simply does not.

14 hours ago, SirBalon said:

You’re openly breaking the rules and accepting a possible punishment in all circumstances.  Remember when Luis Suárez handled the ball (let’s call it a great save) in the World Cup against Brazil?  He knew what was about to occur and with diving if the ref sees it it’s the same thing.  I get what you’re saying in that with a dive it’s more masked and more difficult to analyse for a ref in real-time. But it’s the same thing, it’s breaking the rules and where a player does the other misdemeanours football can throw up they then protest their innocence(on the most part) which in my book is called misleading.

Anyway... we’re going off topic here. There are various shots Pochettino cleverly shoots at the media with his comment which are making a massive deal out of one particular detail where the rules are broken, some painting themselves as holier than thou, and hypocrisy. 

No you're not. The whole point of diving is that you're not openly breaking the rules, you're trying to trick the officials into thinking you haven't done anything wrong, but your opposite number has. Forgive me if I'm being patronising, but this is quite a simple concept that some people don't seem to understand.

What does success look like for a professional foul? You bring the attacking player down, halting the attack. You're punished with a free kick (or penalty) against you and a card, but you accept that because it's preferable to the alternative. Shithousery, but no dishonesty or deception. Suarez's handball (against Ghana) falls under this category.

What does it look like for a dive? You trick the referee into thinking you've been fouled. You are not punished at all, but rewarded with a free kick (or penalty) and possibly a card for your opposite number. Deception, dishonesty.

8 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I get what he means, there is a snide, coward aspect to diving that isn't there with a professional foul where you essentially taking a hit. Im not including horror tackles in that by the way, as they are a separate category. Divers do tend be snakey shithouses though.

For example; Busquests antics against Inter years ago is such flagrant dishonesty and attempt yo fuck over a fellow professional that it merits attention that a tug of the shirt simply does not.

Then you have the player that takes out another in a dangerous attack and also roles around on the floor like a nutcase trying to somehow coax the referee into not booking him for the professional foul.  That’s also misleading and sneaky as shit.

5 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

He's already having a fully blown one. But it's not unusual for him to bring up a load of nonsense that has nothing to do with what is being discussed whenever someone uses logic. He is already resorting to the petty insults as well I see.

It's all dishonesty in the end, it's the same.

I haven't once claimed anyone has a point, only that you don't have one as you seem to deem one form of cheating as being more acceptable than the other. 

You will end up bursting bloods vessels one day with all this anger of yours :coffee:

You guys from the La Liga section don't seem to deal with discussions very well and think everyone's having a meltdown. It's why you get the Real Madrid fans banned from the La Liga section when they say anything. Shameful.

5 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

No you're not. The whole point of diving is that you're not openly breaking the rules, you're trying to trick the officials into thinking you haven't done anything wrong, but your opposite number has. Forgive me if I'm being patronising, but this is quite a simple concept that some people don't seem to understand.

What does success look like for a professional foul? You bring the attacking player down, halting the attack. You're punished with a free kick (or penalty) against you and a card, but you accept that because it's preferable to the alternative. Shithousery, but no dishonesty or deception. Suarez's handball (against Ghana) falls under this category.

What does it look like for a dive? You trick the referee into thinking you've been fouled. You are not punished at all, but rewarded with a free kick (or penalty) and possibly a card for your opposite number. Deception, dishonesty.

I don't even know how any of this is remotely difficult to understand unless people are desperate to distract people away from diving...

Archived