talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Steven Caulker Signs for Dundee

football forum

Dundee have confirmed the signing of former England international defender Steven Caulker on an 18-month contract.

The 26-year-old had been a free agent since leaving Queens Park Rangers by mutual consent last month.

He held talks with Neil McCann on Wednesday, when he said the Dark Blues manager 'blew me away' with his enthusiasm.

Have to feel a bit for him. He had all the talent to be a mainstay in a top six / top eight club. He didn't look after himself when he was younger, he then got severely depressed which he has opened up about, and now he's become very injury prone. After all he's been through the last couple of years to change himself i'd like to see the guy get a break. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a surprise signing, not least because of the news about his addictions recently. I imagine it has put a few clubs off taking a 'risk' on him. At the very least it's a huge change of scenery for him. Leaving London and being in Dundee may sound awful... but maybe it's exactly what he needed to revitalize himself. 

Dundee are in desperate need of some good news and good players. Lose Hendry in January (with none of that money likely to be seen by McCann), this is the type of potential they needed to bring in. They need some sort of boost to them, and seeing a former EPL player (not exactly a star, but even being associated with Liverpool is a huge thing) might give them a bit of inspiration.

• 1 month later...

I'm guessing it's far more to do with his CV rather than his performances for Dundee. Seen him in a couple of games since his move and he has not stood out at all. 

It might not help the team around him is just awful, but that England cap does help when trying to find another club.

Archived