talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Thread for Useless, but Interesting Facts

football forum

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I recently learned that feral children are a thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_child

I always found those stories fascinating. We analysed quite a few such cases at uni, focusing on language acquisition in particular. It's crazy that there's a critical period in a child's life to learn a language, and if they miss it, they'll never be able to acquire the functional ability to use a language. Brain development is completely bonkers... 

• Upvote 4

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I'm a grade A prick.

10 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I was going to ask if you had any pics but then thought better of it.. 

Grade A?

That's generous of you!

• Haha 1

The mountain range in Pakistan's side of Balochistan is called Koh e Suleiman ' Mountains of Solomon  '.

Legend says that the Biblical Prophet & King of Israel Solomon came to these parts. One peak is called Throne of Solomon, where he camped with his entourage of humans and supernatural beings & overlooked the entire subcontinent. The area is known for it's spoky places & people avoid travelling in night. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxO6mUl9AGDFN08Z6l-h7

• Upvote 1

On 18/12/2021 at 07:41, Khan of TF365 said:

In 2005 UN voted on a resolution for food to be declared a human right, one country voted No and one abstained from vote. 

Which ones?

• Subscriber

GettyImages-1233848807-71fd13e.webp

What would happen if all volcanoes on Earth erupted at once?

Fortunately, this is vanishingly unlikely to happen.

There are about 1,500 potentially active volcanoes around the world. To a scientist though, a volcano counts as active if it has erupted in the last 10,000 years and only around 550 have erupted in recorded history. But the exact number is much less important than their size.

Eruptions are classified using the Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI). A VEI of 1 results in at least 10,000m3 of material flung into the air, and each successive number corresponds to 10 times more ejected material. The largest eruption ever recorded was Mount Tambora in 1815, with a VEI of 7. The explosion could be heard 2,600km away and more than 160km3 of material was thrown into the atmosphere.

This single volcano caused temperatures in the northern hemisphere to drop by 0.5°C for six months, as dust blocked out the Sun. The year 1816 was dubbed ‘the year without a summer’ and, combined with disrupted rainfall patterns, caused harvests around the globe to fail.

That was one volcano. There are 32 known VEI 7 or VEI 8 volcanoes and if they all erupted at once it would easily be an extinction-level event for the majority of living things, including humanity.

The initial eruptions would cause most aeroplanes in the air to crash, collapse buildings in the western USA, South America, southern Europe and the Far East, and cause power grids to fail across most of the developed world. Drinking water supplies would be rendered toxic by ash, global temperatures could fall by 15°C for six months, and acid rain would make agriculture impossible for the next decade.

Luckily, this is almost guaranteed never to happen. Volcanoes are driven by localised upwellings of magma beneath the Earth’s crust. Every volcano erupting simultaneously would be like every bubble in a fizzy drink breaking the surface at once.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/planet-earth/all-volcanoes-erupt-at-once/

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spacing correction

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Useless human fact

You produce about 40,000 litres of spit in your lifetime. Or to put it another way, enough spit to fill around five hundred bathtubs

Right up @MUFC's street. 

• Haha 2

In one experiment scientist grew trees in a sealed biosphere, they started to fell off before maturing. It was found out that the perfect growing environment lacked wind, which provides stress and ensures trees grow strong enough to support themselves.

This also applies to humans as individuals and as nations, too much comfort in life is a slow poison there needs to be some balance of adversity with it, it teaches fortitude which is necessary to progress

Edited by Khan of TF365
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Around a year ago. I found out during a DM conversation with Happyblue that we both went to the same high school 🤣. He was a year above me.

Clearly he doesn't remember you then or does he not known your true identity?

1 minute ago, Devil said:

Clearly he doesn't remember you then or does he not known your true identity?

We were just talking and the convo went into a direction about where we lived, it originated from there. We have an idea who each other are but not 100% sure. I gave as much as I could to refresh his memory.

Just now, MUFC said:

We were just talking and the convo went into a direction about where we lived, it originated from there. We have an idea who each other are but not 100% sure. I gave as much as I could to refresh his memory.

He's put photos up hasn't he, so you have an idea based on them.

I've never come across anyone I know on forum, spoke to lads local on United forums but never known anyone.

1 minute ago, Devil said:

He's put photos up hasn't he, so you have an idea based on them.

I've never come across anyone I know on forum, spoke to lads local on United forums but never known anyone.

I've never seen his photos.