talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Thread for Useless, but Interesting Facts

football forum

In 1936 there was a serious proposal to build two helicoidal ramps on the side of the Eiffel Tower to allowed visitors to get to the second level without ever leaving their car. (115m high above the ground).

3a8fdo91ej4z.jpg

• Wow 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Tommy said:

In 1936 there was a serious proposal to build two helicoidal ramps on the side of the Eiffel Tower to allowed visitors to get to the second level without ever leaving their car. (115m high above the ground).

3a8fdo91ej4z.jpg

Glad it didn't happen. Cars demand high infrastructure like this and infact restrict you which otherwise can be easily accessible by foot. 

• Upvote 1

Jesus's name in Aramaic the native language spoken around Galilei was Yeshua. In Greek Yeshua was changed to Yeshus. When Latin replaced Greek as the language of liturgy Y was replaced with J rendering it as Jesus.

Christian denominations in Africa, Middle East and Asia still use Yasu/Yeshu

On 04/01/2022 at 19:06, Tommy said:

3a8fdo91ej4z.jpg

A bad idea on so many levels.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Jesus's name in Aramaic the native language spoken around Galilei was Yeshua. In Greek Yeshua was changed to Yeshus. When Latin replaced Greek as the language of liturgy Y was replaced with J rendering it as Jesus.

Christian denominations in Africa, Middle East and Asia still use Yasu/Yeshu

In general, how much is known about Jesus in Pakistan? Is he a curiosity, or just another god in a different religion? Because to me, this isn't an interesting fact and something I've known since I was like 10, but I think that had to do with stupid religious studies and learning about different types of Christianity. Also it wasn't Latin, it was an early French that derived the J in the name. Also it is where the name Joshua comes from.

Most languages still pronounce it with a 'Y' sound, the only European languages that pronounce 'J' like a hard 'G' (from my knowledge) are French, English, and Portuguese.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

In general, how much is known about Jesus in Pakistan? Is he a curiosity, or just another god in a different religion? Because to me, this isn't an interesting fact and something I've known since I was like 10, but I think that had to do with stupid religious studies and learning about different types of Christianity. Also it wasn't Latin, it was an early French that derived the J in the name. Also it is where the name Joshua comes from.

Most languages still pronounce it with a 'Y' sound, the only European languages that pronounce 'J' like a hard 'G' (from my knowledge) are French, English, and Portuguese.

Pakistan's mostly Islamic and Jesus is in Islam.

There's differences though. He's not the Messiah or divine, he's a pre-Mohammed prophet. 

17 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Pakistan's mostly Islamic and Jesus is in Islam.

There's differences though. He's not the Messiah or divine, he's a pre-Mohammed prophet. 

I know that. That doesn’t really mean anything, there are plenty of religious figures in the bible that have little to no relevance to everyday worship and the theological thought. When was the last time a Christian asked you about Amos or Hosea?

Besides Jesus is largely irrelevant in Islam, it’s just a modern footnote used to by people that try to bridge the differences between the faith. It’s like a Christian or a Jew telling a eachother to bury their differences because they both revere Moses.

8 hours ago, Spike said:

In general, how much is known about Jesus in Pakistan? Is he a curiosity, or just another god in a different religion?

He's an arch Prophet so he's known as part of the belief system not an outlier. Obviously the details like this or about his life other than canonical beliefs like virgin birth etc most people don't bother with because they are not really relevant for the 'laity' even the case with early Islamic figures who are more known for their title but most people won't even be able to tell their real name. 

Don't agree with Jesus being largely irrelevant. He's a prominent figure, the Messiah. His second coming is a very central belief which effects other established traditions, there have been excommunication of whole groups over it. 

• Like 1