talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Thread for Useless, but Interesting Facts

football forum

On 13/05/2022 at 07:31, Aladdin said:

There are no native inhabitants of British Isles, everyone immigrated from the mainland continent 

I use that arguement against nationalism. I think the romans killed most of them. Not sure if there are no natives though. I think they think there might be some people who have some native DNA but it would almost certainly have mixed with other nations 

Edited by Guest

26 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I use that arguement against nationalism. I think the romans killed most of them. Not sure if there are no natives though. I think they think there might be some people who have some native DNA but it would almost certainly have mixed with other nations 

Welcome back !

• Subscriber
On 13/05/2022 at 07:31, Aladdin said:

There are no native inhabitants of British Isles, everyone immigrated from the mainland continent 

30 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I use that arguement against nationalism. I think the romans killed most of them. Not sure if there are no natives though I'll have to google it 

You could be related to anybody, Lust auf ein Bier?  @Gunnersauraus

Earth - Pangea era - 270 million years ago

A.png

Earth - Cretaceous era -146/65 million years ago

B.jpg

Parisa was a Council of people in ancient India. It had great deal of power such that it could order a king to transfer power to his successors. It was the Parisa who ordered Buddha's father who is believed to be a King, to exile Buddha in the jungle bcz of his esoteric lifestyle unfit for an aristocratic nobleman. 

FS4-S0g-UX0-AM63x-A.jpg

Map of Arabia from around 7th century. Ghassanid's were the satellite state of Romans, Aksum was their allies.

Sassanian's had colonies in the Gulf region, Dibba being modern day Dubai. 

White shaded Hejaz on the left was the metropolitan area of the region

Yellow shaded part literally means the Empty quarters, barren hostile desert land.

On 15/05/2022 at 14:52, Aladdin said:

Welcome back !

I never actually left the forum mate. I just dont post as much as it's bad for my mental health to spend to much time online 

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomnia#Society_and_culture

The not being able to sleep part makes me question if that's real. If you never get any rest, wouldn't your body eventually shut down? 

You would think so... however when you consider the brain functions that send signals all through the body like when we react to very hot or cold things to the touch for example then if a bullet somehow damaged those parts of the brain those signals might be switched off or damaged beyond repair which might allow us to touch extreme hot or cold items and not feel the pain perhaps but sustain the damage from such things.. 

It's possible that it could affect us in other ways like sleep for example, It's also possible that he did sleep but only a small amount each day and the stories became exaggerated over time.. 

The popular press have published stories about people who supposedly never sleep, such as that of Thái Ngọc and Al Herpin.[150] Horne writes "everybody sleeps and needs to do so," and generally this appears true. However, he also relates from contemporary accounts the case of Paul Kern, who was shot in wartime and then "never slept again" until his death in 1943.[151] Kern appears to be a completely isolated, unique case.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I'm very skeptical that it's an accurate account of what happened to him. It goes against everything we know about the effects of sleep loss/deprivation, and I'm extremely doubtful that a brain injury (especially the frontal lobe, which is not related to sleeping at all) would change that so significantly, either. I could believe the part about him not being able to sleep; there are some diseases that cause it too, but I don't believe he would have been able to live for another 40 years. Maybe he slept 2 hours a day? Maybe he experienced multiple microsleep episodes each day? As @Bluewolf said, it probably got exaggerated over time until it became an urban legend of sorts. If the story is true after all, then he indeed was a medical oddity. It's a pity that more data is not available; neuroscientists would have a field day...

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Imagine living 24 hours through EVERY day. I don't think I could do that for 40 years. xD

I mean, I would welcome that if there were no side effects. Imagine all you could do with all that time! :o 

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

I mean, I would welcome that if there were no side effects. Imagine all you could do with all that time! :o 

Yea, but wouldn't one get bored eventually after some time? You'd also have to deal with peoples bullshit for 24 hours. 

But yea, if you commit yourself to something, and can invest 24 hours into it, it could be handy. 

Now that I think of it. Sleeping is basically fast forwarding to death. 🤯

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

Yea, but wouldn't one get bored eventually after some time? You'd also have to deal with peoples bullshit for 24 hours. 

But yea, if you commit yourself to something, and can invest 24 hours into it, it could be handy. 

Now that I think of it. Sleeping is basically fast forwarding to death. 🤯

Bored of what, staying awake? I mean there's plenty of things to do, and simple resting or meditation or whatever are still viable options for winding down and recharging whenever it all gets a bit overwhelming!

It would be great, as long as it doesn't automatically mean longer working hours xD 

And yes, we spend about one third of our lives sleeping. That's a bit shit.