talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Thread for Useless, but Interesting Facts

football forum

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Yes! If you walk that promenade now, it's mental to think that it was once a busy main road. Also most of the inner city is now car free, and mucher nicer for a stroll. 

Like this road too. It used to look like that:

Schadowstra%C3%9Fe_in_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jp

Now it's this:

City_Ring_Startseite_1.jpg

I said this before. If you haven't been here for 20-30 years, and come back now, you'll hardly recognize the place. 

Safer and cleaner for everyone.. creates a decent environment with less noise, more places should do this.. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

Yes! If you walk that promenade now, it's mental to think that it was once a busy main road. Also most of the inner city is now car free, and mucher nicer for a stroll. 

Like this road too. It used to look like that:

Schadowstra%C3%9Fe_in_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jp

Now it's this:

City_Ring_Startseite_1.jpg

I said this before. If you haven't been here for 20-30 years, and come back now, you'll hardly recognize the place. 

That's a work of beauty. A few more trees would be nice though.

• Upvote 1

I had an argument with a car enthusiast friend that cars take too much space in modern cities and that is by design. If cities are designed with public transport first mind there will be still plenty of space for roads and infrastructure for cars but not the other way around.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

They are still working on re-planting trees, since a hurricane killed 30.000 trees in the city back in 2014. 

Hurricanes don’t really hit Europe mate, are you confusing words ? That’s a tropical phenomenon.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

We even get Tornadoes these days. 

Anyway, this is what I'm talking about:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ela_damages_in_Düsseldorf

Tornadoes aren’t as severe and are a different phenomenon to hurricanes. I guess in Europe hurricane just refers to any severe storm but in English it refers to a tropical cyclone that forms over the Atlantic, and a cyclone refers to Pacific Ocean. Because when you posted it I was confused because a hurricane would damage more than 30,000 trees, half of Germany would be gone if it were to touch down so inland in Düsseldorf.

So yeah to clarify, in English a hurricane is an Atlantic tropical cyclone, which destroy entire cities. Like New Orleans.

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

Tornadoes aren’t as severe and are a different phenomenon to hurricanes. I guess in Europe hurricane just refers to any severe storm but in English it refers to a tropical cyclone that forms over the Atlantic, and a cyclone refers to Pacific Ocean. Because when you posted it I was confused because a hurricane would damage more than 30,000 trees, half of Germany would be gone if it were to touch down so inland in Düsseldorf.

So yeah to clarify, in English a hurricane is an Atlantic tropical cyclone, which destroy entire cities. Like New Orleans.

Big stormy storm! 

• Wow 1

City of London is London inside Greater London. It is the original settlement of Londonium and is independent since 1889. It has its own mayor, police, crest and the King/Queen is not sovereign there, they must require the mayor's permission to enter.

So technically London is not part of UK. 

29 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

City of London is London inside Greater London. It is the original settlement of Londonium and is independent since 1889. It has its own mayor, police, crest and the King/Queen is not sovereign there, they must require the mayor's permission to enter.

So technically London is not part of UK. 

It also has a bizarre method of electing a mayor. Look it up, the requisites are nuts.

27 minutes ago, nudge said:

7c79ca16999f6ac647278847b48fe5df.jpg 

What a life story... 

https://wednesdayswomen.com/aloha-wanderwell-transcontinental-adventurer/

This is a really fun read.

She lived until 1996 too. :o If they made her life into a movie, and you didn't know it was a true story, you'd think it's all a bit far-fetched. xD

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Tommy said:

She lived until 1996 too. :o If they made her life into a movie, and you didn't know it was a true story, you'd think it's all a bit far-fetched. xD

It would be a cool idea for a movie, tbh!

• Upvote 1

Contrary to media potrayal in films and games, horses were never actually that common for commute like say cars are today. Owning a horse was only for the rich for the vast majority. The whole process of getting a permit for a horse was very complex.

By the time they started becoming common trains had started kicking in.

• Upvote 1

Just now, nudge said:

Princess Leia's hair buns were partially inspired by the hairstyle of Clara de la Rocha, a Mexican revolutionary and guerilla fighter.

222_optimized-600x500-c-default.webp

Did the Serge Gnabry picture remind you of that? xD

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

image.png

Fucking hell.... If there are lot's of Japanese single women over the age of 25 just floating about unwanted I wouldn't mind having a nibble on some of that cake... B|

Fucking hell, imagine the social pressure that is put on them. Pretty sure many women under 25 just end up with someone they don't really like, just because of that. Pretty gruesome. 

• Upvote 1