talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Thread for Useless, but Interesting Facts

football forum

• Subscriber

Edinburgh’s ‘politely discriminating’ women-only bank where men were banned

During the ‘60s, as more women began to take control of their own finances, one Edinburgh bank thought they should have a service specifically for them - which was also staffed entirely by women, but not everyone was a fan.

Launched back in the ‘60s, one of Edinburgh’s many businesses was once a women-only bank.

Men weren’t allowed through the doors, and they weren’t working behind the counter either. While it all sounds pretty progressive for the time, footage from British Pathé filmed at the time details the bank's furnishings and highlights women opening up their 'financial heart' may be slightly outdated.

Launched back in the ‘60s, one of Edinburgh’s many businesses was once a women-only bank.

Men weren’t allowed through the doors, and they weren’t working behind the counter either. While it all sounds pretty progressive for the time, footage from British Pathé filmed at the time details the bank's furnishings and highlights women opening up their 'financial heart' may be slightly outdated.

One of the women featured in the film, Margaret Reid, was the manager at the bank and the first woman in Scotland to hold such a position.

Footage filmed in 1964 by British Pathé depicted the story of how the bank came to be. The voiceover tells viewers: “A Scottish bank has had a brainwave.

“The sign ‘Ladies Branch’ means no men allowed here. The staff and even the manager are women, and so are the customers.

FULL REPORT

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spacing correction

11 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Ditto, I kept thinking of it as the Australian slang word "Good on ya, mate..." then it clicked when I kept saying it and thinking of the Olympics. xD

I only got it because @Rucksackfranzose reacted with a laugh emoji. So I kept wondering what's so funny about this. xD

• Haha 1

According to legend a king once appointed a weather minister to inform him about the weather for his hunting trips. The minister cleared one such trip citing the weather was fine.

On the way the king met a blacksmith who told him not to go as it was about to rain. Outraged the king lashed the blacksmith eight times and went on but once he reached the hunting grounds a thunderstorm started.

Outraged he came back, lashed the weather minister eight times, fired him and appointed the blacksmith as the weather minister. He explained he can't take the post because its not his knowledge but rather the ears of his donkey go up when its about to rain and stay down when its not. The king appointed the donkey as weather minister.

From that point onwards a tradition of appointing asses on govt positions and ministries is followed by governments world wide.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

"Flour wars, Greece"

First time it has taken place since COVID according to the video.

They do something similar in Workington and my mates been a played the game twice even though he's not part of either village involved.

It basically descends in a total battle, be told me he end up wrestling and fighting over a ball in a dirty river. I suggested he could have need to medical shots for the fact he had rolled around a filthy river bank and in a river and he thought I was mental.

If we're totally honest it's an excuse for weird people to fight, my mates a bit weird and he likes a fight and this is clearly the same situation.

That video is pathetic.

Billy Graham rule is a practice among American Evangelical men to avoid spending time alone with any woman other than their spouses to avoid any harassment allegations and controversy. 

Named after preacher Billy Graham, spiritual advisor of many U.S Presidents, he would have his hotel rooms on trips throughly checked before entering from closests to under the bed if any potential woman was hiding.

15 hours ago, Devil said:

They do something similar in Workington and my mates been a played the game twice even though he's not part of either village involved.

It basically descends in a total battle, be told me he end up wrestling and fighting over a ball in a dirty river. I suggested he could have need to medical shots for the fact he had rolled around a filthy river bank and in a river and he thought I was mental.

If we're totally honest it's an excuse for weird people to fight, my mates a bit weird and he likes a fight and this is clearly the same situation.

That video is pathetic.

It doesn't surprise me with Cumbrians to be honest, they are a different breed xD.

1 hour ago, Beelzebub said:

Billy Graham rule is a practice among American Evangelical men to avoid spending time alone with any woman other than their spouses to avoid any harassment allegations and controversy. 

Named after preacher Billy Graham, spiritual advisor of many U.S Presidents, he would have his hotel rooms on trips throughly checked before entering from closests to under the bed if any potential woman was hiding.

I know of this, but didn't know it was named after Billy Graham.

It's actually become quite a popular thing here in the Southern US, where men are asked not to hang out, alone, with females and vise versa (assuming at least one of them are married). Granted this is different if you are talking about two people who are related, but yeah, this is fairly common but NOT something I agree with. I'm not my wife's mother and nor is she mine, so I'm going going to dictate who she can, and cannot hang out with.

1 minute ago, Eco said:

but yeah, this is fairly common but NOT something I agree with. I'm not my wife's mother and nor is she mine, so I'm going going to dictate who she can, and cannot hang out with.

Like common among regular men ? I came to know this through a news on Mike Pence and thought it was something only career politicians did to avoid any defamation.

42 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

Like common among regular men ? I came to know this through a news on Mike Pence and thought it was something only career politicians did to avoid any defamation.

Yeah - Billy Graham (in case you didn't know), was a massive Christian figurehead, so this idea has really been ingrained in a lot of Christian churches throughout the country, but since here in the Southeast appears to be the only place in the world with a growing population of Christians, it's just becoming more and more ingrained in how married couples should act with people from the opposite sex.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

The Taj Mahal built by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan as a tomb for his beloved wife is perfectly symmetrical and its white marble changes colours during different times of the day from pinkish to golden. 

There is a joke here that women expect men to be like Shah Jahan in their display of love for their wives but they don't mention the fact that he built Taj Mahal for his THIRD wife and also had many concubines. 

• Subscriber

Great pub when it was there, especially looking for the loo  xD

The legendary Edinburgh theme pub where drinkers struggled to find the toilets

Located in the heart of the New Town, the Jekyll & Hyde was a pub like no other and it's still very much missed to this day - just like the toilets, which were pretty much always 'missed' unless you were in the know.

340158214_1368541597301369_8632383822456