talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jay Rodriguez Charged by FA for Racially Abusing Gaetan Bong

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

All this has done is make me wonder what become of the Firmino-Holgate incident?

FA thought there was nothing in it?

To charge someone im imagining it must be like the cps, and they believe there is a good chance of conviction? Looking at the tape it looks like he's saying he's got smelly breath, not able to see anything said but surely there will be lip readers who can.

4 hours ago, Danny said:

Interesting reaction, makes you think he may have a leg to stand on somewhere

You'd have thought the FA must have more than Bong's word for this though? The proof is on balance of probabilities but unless theyve got another player supporting Bong or clear evidence he said it i dont see how they can do him.

35 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

You'd have thought the FA must have more than Bong's word for this though? The proof is on balance of probabilities but unless theyve got another player supporting Bong or clear evidence he said it i dont see how they can do him.

Yeah there doesn't need to be proof against him as you say, we were involved in a similar issue where a Burton player was made guilty on the balance of probability 

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

All this has done is make me wonder what become of the Firmino-Holgate incident?

I was about to mention this in another thread. FA probably just hoping everyone forgets about it so they don't have to make a decision.

I understand why it's on balance of probablities to get a charge at this stage but ill be surprised if it goes any further than this.

Everton and Newcastle fans may remember the incident with Emre and Lescott where it was quite clear - by the reaction of both Howard and Lescott - that something related to race was said. Emre was charged by the FA at the time but after being charged the comment was unproven because of the technicalities thrown up at court by his expensive team of lawyers. Then Emre went to Turkey and shortly after showed his true colours more than once.

At this stage I wouldn't categorise Rodriguez in the same boat. He doesn't strike me on face value as a cunxttuesday for starters. But the reaction of the Brighton players made me think he said something that could be interopretated a certain way. The reaction wasn't enough to make me think a stone wall racist remark was made bit it was enough for me to think they wanted to alert the ref to something.

West Brom striker Jay Rodriguez has been granted an extension until March 9 to respond to his FA charge of using racist language, the governing body has announced.

Rodriguez was charged by the FA last week after he allegedly "used abusive and/or insulting words which included a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race".

The player said he was "gutted" and in "disbelief" at the charges against him and Sky Sports News understands he and his representatives have employed a lip reader to help support his claim against the charge.

• 3 weeks later...

West Brom striker Jay Rodriguez has informed the FA he will contest a charge of racism against him, and request a personal hearing, Sky Sports News understands.

Rodriguez's legal team are already preparing a defence to the claim by Brighton's Gaetan Bong that the Cameroon defender was subject to racist language from Rodriguez during the Premier League game at the Hawthorns on January 13.

The FA imposed a deadline of Friday for Rodriguez to respond to the charge.

• 1 month later...

Archived