talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mick McCarthy Leaving Ipswich

• Subscriber

I think Palace were significantly more entertaining than Ipswich have been. Palace may not be Wolves or Fulham but they were still a good side to watch at times, very good on the counter.

Ipswich have got to be just about the worst club in the country to support. I'm serious. Even compared to clubs like Portsmouth, they're just boring. There's nothing about them. Every year it's a totally forgettable league finish, nothing of note in the cups, there's just nothing to get excited about. Even the one year they did scrape into the play-offs they had to endure their rivals beating them to Wembley, and winning the final. Portsmouth have had a calamitous few years but I still think their scenario can actually bring about some good points as well. The unity of the fans, the variation in different grounds they're getting to go to, and the fact they're on the right tracks again. You get the feeling they're sorting themselves out.

Ipswich are just mundane. It's one thing with them every year.

I don't even think McCarthy's done a particularly bad job, but it's quite clear that it would be ridiculous if he stayed there. There's nothing anyone's gaining from it, with the relationship between fans, manager and owner at a low.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

So you went up....did you play this expansive and exciting brand of football like Wolves or Fulham? That's the point I was making. 

We were fucking excellent for two thirds of the season with Wilfried, Yannick and Andre Moritz. People were comparing us to Swansea by Christmas, then Ollie abandoned defending and the whole thing nearly went weird.

6 hours ago, Dan said:

I think Palace were significantly more entertaining than Ipswich have been. Palace may not be Wolves or Fulham but they were still a good side to watch at times, very good on the counter.

Ipswich have got to be just about the worst club in the country to support. I'm serious. Even compared to clubs like Portsmouth, they're just boring. There's nothing about them. Every year it's a totally forgettable league finish, nothing of note in the cups, there's just nothing to get excited about. Even the one year they did scrape into the play-offs they had to endure their rivals beating them to Wembley, and winning the final. Portsmouth have had a calamitous few years but I still think their scenario can actually bring about some good points as well. The unity of the fans, the variation in different grounds they're getting to go to, and the fact they're on the right tracks again. You get the feeling they're sorting themselves out.

Ipswich are just mundane. It's one thing with them every year.

I don't even think McCarthy's done a particularly bad job, but it's quite clear that it would be ridiculous if he stayed there. There's nothing anyone's gaining from it, with the relationship between fans, manager and owner at a low.

Oh, we were boring under Dougie Freedman. It took an infamous car park row with Steve Parish after we lost 4-0 to Bristol City in August 2012 for everything to change.

On 29/03/2018 at 18:33, The Palace Fan said:

Our Starting Eleven when we went up was:

Dundee United Goalkeeper

Portsmouth free agent right back

Free transfer from Ipswich Town centre back

Free transfer from QPR centre back

Transfer listed at Derby left back

Transfer listed at Fulham Center Midfielder

Free Agent from Turkey Midfielder

Academy Right Winger

A trialist seen at Rangers as an attacking midfielder

Transfer listed at Bristol City Left Winger

A free agent from Brighton up front.

You don't need shitloads of money if you invest correctly.

For the record, I think Mick has done a very good job at Ipswich over the years, but I think the players coming through will improve more under a more adventurous style. They're the only Championship team regularly churning out players without a golden nugget.

TBF that left winger did turn out to become Yannick Bolasie...

On 30/03/2018 at 06:49, The Palace Fan said:

Oh, we were boring under Dougie Freedman. It took an infamous car park row with Steve Parish after we lost 4-0 to Bristol City in August 2012 for everything to change.

Just seeing that name makes my blood boil. What a wanker.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

he's jacked it in xD 

What does he expect? He's called fans 'numbskulls' recently and has constantly slated Ipswich fans in the press lately, they're hardly going to back him, are they? I'm not saying the fans are completely right here but the 'relationship' between McCarthy and Ipswich fans couldn't be any more strained if it was possible and once you're saying some of the stuff McCarthy has said, you're going to have to expect that people won't be too pleased. 

Quite sad how this has all turned out really. The fans want a better brand of football, Mick has alienated himself, and the relationship has got toxic. The thing everybody is overlooking is they're actually in a very healthy league position given the strain on their resources. 

Mick McCarthy's next move will be an interesting one. Does he go comfortable with Barnsley or push him self to turn it around at somebody with higher expectations like West Brom? I think he would do reasonable at either.

• Subscriber
On 3/31/2018 at 15:27, The Palace Fan said:

Yep. Other names include Mile Jedinak, Joel Ward and Glenn Murray. Small budget, brilliant scouting. That's the trick.

Keeper from Leeds

Right back from QPR

Centre half from Forest

Centre half from Stoke

Left back from Schalke

Right winger from Le Havre

Centre mid from Man Utd's academy

Centre mid from Caen

Left winger from Aston Villa

Striker from Mainz

Striker from Fleetwood

Premier League champions.

Never under-estimate scouting and the need to think signings out properly.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Danny said:

@The Palace Fan what was your budget in relation to the rest of the league?

@Dan agree with the point but your title win was more of anomaly than anything if being used as a consistent argument for smart scouting

But it still happened, and it's still proof that the right players are out there if you look hard enough.

A couple of them in-particular really made it click but still, not a single one other than maybe Drinkwater there (based on where we got him from) that you'd put down to go on and win the league.

12 hours ago, Danny said:

@The Palace Fan what was your budget in relation to the rest of the league?

@Dan agree with the point but your title win was more of anomaly than anything if being used as a consistent argument for smart scouting

I'm pretty sure we made a profit that summer with the sales of Ambrose, Clyne and Scannell. I remember there was teams like Forest spending millions and signing everybody available. I reckon we were bottom eight spenders. Most of our money would have been loan fees and agent fees in January to support Holloway.

55 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'm pretty sure we made a profit that summer with the sales of Ambrose, Clyne and Scannell. I remember there was teams like Forest spending millions and signing everybody available. I reckon we were bottom eight spenders. Most of our money would have been loan fees and agent fees in January to support Holloway.

I meant in wages if you know?Ambrose went to Rangers didn't he?

Id love it if we make play offs, last seasons wage budget was bottom 5 I think and maybe even bottom 3 and Indont think we've pushed it up that much.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Stan said:

@roversgirl @JOSHBRFC probably delighted at this news!

Oh yes! Unless a Premier League club came in for him I genuinely don't think he'd leave us after this season in terms of his relationship with the fans. He has helped reconnect the club and the fans, and has put a lot of hard work into the club on and off the field. It is a big project but I'd like to think we'd at least get another season from him, and if we continue to do well I wouldn't be surprised if clubs were interested. He was always going to get linked though being an ex player.

On 01/05/2018 at 20:28, roversgirl said:

Oh yes! Unless a Premier League club came in for him I genuinely don't think he'd leave us after this season in terms of his relationship with the fans. He has helped reconnect the club and the fans, and has put a lot of hard work into the club on and off the field. It is a big project but I'd like to think we'd at least get another season from him, and if we continue to do well I wouldn't be surprised if clubs were interested. He was always going to get linked though being an ex player.

If one of the relegated teams hinted at an approach he'd be looking up taxi numbers now.

Archived