talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mick McCarthy Leaving Ipswich

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully. If they make an awful appointment they could go down next season. Their squad is shit and they’re skint. With MM in charge they will always be mid-table and maybe even challenge for play offs.

MM’shome town club, I believe. They might even pay more than Ipswich.

13 minutes ago, Marc said:

Hopefully. If they make an awful appointment they could go down next season. Their squad is shit and they’re skint. With MM in charge they will always be mid-table and maybe even challenge for play offs.

MM’shome town club, I believe. They might even pay more than Ipswich.

I guess the money is the real issue for them. They really could have done with Andree Dozzell not getting injured and having a break out season. The concerning thing is whilst they have done a great job progressing all these academy players, none of them look capable of going for big money. There's no Maddison or Sessegnon in their ranks.

I imagine Barnsley would pay more at the moment, too.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

@Marc how would you rate the East Anglian Derby compared to other (geographical) derbies in the UK?

I think it’s maybe top 10/15? 

I’m not sure, it’s hard to rank it, but it’s a fierce derby. I think one of the things that makes a derby is if you asked all Norwich supporters who their biggest rival is 100% would say Ipswich and visa versa. Majority of clubs have one main rival and a lot of other smaller rivals, all the London, brum and north western clubs. If you asked a Man U fan, a third would say Man City, Leeds and liverpool or something like that.

We’ve also generally had similar levels of success and have played in the same league for the majority of our history. Ipswich has that spell where they won a few trophies but apart from that we’ve both won fuck all and played in the same league most of the time. On the overall head to head I believe Ipswich are one ahead, which shows how close it’s been.

So, historically playing in the same league a lot of the time and the lack of other rivals makes it pretty intense. Obviously people always say ‘it’s not w derby, they are 40 miles apart’ but it certainly is. It’s just how we are geographically. Our nearest away game this season apart from Ipswich is I believe Millwall!

everyone in the area will be talking about the upcoming derby all week.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this was worth a bump given his reaction to the Ipswich goal this weekend xD

The relationship between manager and fans is so fractured. I think it's a case of 'be careful what you wish for' in this scenario as he's been given nothing to spend on players and has regularly kept producing competitive squads with youth and written off players. If they don't get the right replacement I can see them dropping down a level next season.

• 1 month later...

Ipswich will clarify the future of manager Mick McCarthy before the end of next month, the Sky Bet Championship club have announced.

Reports have suggested the 59-year-old's six-year spell in charge at Portman Road could end this summer when his contract expires.

McCarthy took over a Town side which was bottom of the Championship in 2012 and led them to the play-offs two seasons later

They've also reduced season ticket prices by 10% for next season, a lot seem to be saying they won't commit till the manager situation is sorted. Such a toxic club at the moment, a massive divide between the supporters, owner and manager. Understandably so, by the way.

1 hour ago, Marc said:

They've also reduced season ticket prices by 10% for next season, a lot seem to be saying they won't commit till the manager situation is sorted. Such a toxic club at the moment, a massive divide between the supporters, owner and manager. Understandably so, by the way.

I struggle to fathom why so much anger is being aimed at Mick and not Marcus Evans.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I struggle to fathom why so much anger is being aimed at Mick and not Marcus Evans.

All part of the culture in this country. The manager going solves everything, apparently.

Ipswich have announced that manager Mick McCarthy will leave the club when his contract expires at the end of the season.

The former Republic of Ireland boss has been in charge at Portman Road for almost six years and had been the longest-serving manager in the second tier, but the 59-year-old will be moving on after holding talks with owner Marcus Evans on Wednesday night.

Assistant manager Terry Connor will also leave the club when his contract ends this summer.

Not sure what more the fans could ask for when you consider that they’ve worked of a small budget by Championship standards for a few years now. 

The play-off’s a couple of years ago was a massive overachievement, as further proven by Reading’s form this season, and off the budget they’re working off, the fans surely cannot expect that sort of league finish again when you’ve got some pretty big names and pretty big spenders in the Championship. 

The next appointment is pretty big though. Get it wrong and, for me, Ipswich are staying at League One. 

Mick McCarthy hasn't done much wrong, infact the biggest compliment I can give him is that whenever I see we have Ipswich away, I always feel we'll get turned over because we'll get out battled.

But for me that is the exact reason I think they are desperate for a change to be honest.

Ipswich Town are a kick and hoof team. Fans are bland, atmosphere has been sucked out the place and there is nothing that stands out about them. They are going nowhere and the definition of dull.

They need to roll the dice and take a new direction for me. Someone with a different outlook, who can at least get the team playing decent football with younger players and change the image of the club to make the fans proud of the team again.

I know there will be people out there with textbook comments like 'They could go down without McCarthy' or 'Be careful what you wish for' but if you are happy to settle for mediocrity as a fan and have no ambition, then you deserve to go nowhere and stay midtable obscurity.

Lucas, I agree with your sentiment, but without decent investment you can't go out and buy the more skillful players that you need to play like that. Especially when you're starting out with a load of hoofers.

41 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

Lucas, I agree with your sentiment, but without decent investment you can't go out and buy the more skillful players that you need to play like that. Especially when you're starting out with a load of hoofers.

Our Starting Eleven when we went up was:

Dundee United Goalkeeper

Portsmouth free agent right back

Free transfer from Ipswich Town centre back

Free transfer from QPR centre back

Transfer listed at Derby left back

Transfer listed at Fulham Center Midfielder

Free Agent from Turkey Midfielder

Academy Right Winger

A trialist seen at Rangers as an attacking midfielder

Transfer listed at Bristol City Left Winger

A free agent from Brighton up front.

You don't need shitloads of money if you invest correctly.

For the record, I think Mick has done a very good job at Ipswich over the years, but I think the players coming through will improve more under a more adventurous style. They're the only Championship team regularly churning out players without a golden nugget.

40 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Dundee United Goalkeeper

Academy Right Winger

For the record, I think Mick has done a very good job at Ipswich over the years, but I think the players coming through will improve more under a more adventurous style. They're the only Championship team regularly churning out players without a golden nugget.

Are you trying to compare gaining promotion from League One to gaining promotion from the Championship? 

I agree with Lucas. MM has done a good job in the circumstances, but it's time Ipswich took a gamble, season ticket sales down year on year, record low attendances. They've got to gamble on changing manager and putting some bums back on seats.

Also, not only is the football shit but he's been picking fights with the fans for months, that relationship between manager and supporters is beyond repair. It says it all that Ipswich/Evans didn't even want to stump up the money to sack him, they waited till his contract ran out! That's pretty rare in modern football.

They're linked with a few Ok managers but also some shockers- Shefki Kuqi haha and also Mclaren which is already going down like a led balloon. Danny Cowley is favourite, I think he'd be a decent gamble and is a young enthusiastic manager that would get fans back on side. 

Danny Cowley seems like exactly the type of character the fans want to get behind.

I was thinking of all their previous players and whose taken the route in to coaching or management. John McGreal is not setting off fireworks at Colchester United, Jamie Clapham has only recently joined the coaching team at Leeds United, whilst Mark Venus is on the coaching team at Blackburn Rovers. I'm quite surprised James Scowcroft hasn't gone in to coaching given the level of professionalism and intelligence he showed during his career. The same with Matt Holland. 

Shefki Kuqi however may just be the greatest Managerial appointment ever.

That part about Shefki Kuqi doing shit jobs doesn't surprise me. Nothing about him, ever, has suggested to me he'd be a good Manager. The man's a calamitous, daft, oaf that is subject to the odd temper tantrum.

His tunnel interviews after his team have been screwed would be brilliant.

5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Dundee United Goalkeeper

Academy Right Winger

So you went up....did you play this expansive and exciting brand of football like Wolves or Fulham? That's the point I was making. 

Archived