talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Winter Olympics 2018

football forum

Ski Cross is the one. Think that starts next Wednesday. It reminds me of the BMX at the Olympics. If you have never watched it, it is fucking immense.

You have all the racers come out the gate at once, skiing downhill chasing one another and if you're lucky, you'll get to see them take eachother out. Absolute carnage just like the BMX. Love those events.

Check this out for a finish to a race...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
On 2/14/2018 at 10:05, Harry said:

I pretty much like all winter Olympic events except for curling and speed skating. 

Slope style snowboarding is right up there though. 

What do you have against Curling? Its actually one of my favorite events. Can't say speed skating is too bad but I can see where the dullness factor does creep in.'

On a side note, what a game of hockey between the US and CAN (Womens). Went down to the wire.

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

What do you have against Curling? Its actually one of my favorite events.

Same here. It's interesting to watch as it involves tactics and thinking from the players. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Same here. It's interesting to watch as it involves tactics and thinking from the players. 

Agreed. Its like watching pool but with a team element to it. Some of the plays from Sochi were ridiculous and I can't wait to see how things go this time. 

23 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

What's this Olympic Athletes from Russia shit?

Russia are banned from the Olympic Games as punishment for nationwide cheating, but actually they're all still allowed to compete just without the flag? What a load of shit xD

OAR is for athletes from Russia who haven't been found guilty of cheating. The have 168 athletes this year, whereas they had 232 in Sochi. That's a massive difference that is due to the cheating. 

2 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

OAR is for athletes from Russia who haven't been found guilty of cheating. The have 168 athletes this year, whereas they had 232 in Sochi. That's a massive difference that is due to the cheating. 

I mean it's not really fair on the athletes who weren't cheating to be barred from competing because of others were. In this case, though, I thought the doping was so wholesale that the whole programme was to be punished, which clearly isn't happening

Just now, Burning Gold said:

I mean it's not really fair on the athletes who weren't cheating to be barred from competing because of others were. In this case, though, I thought the doping was so wholesale that the whole programme was to be punished, which clearly isn't happening

In some sense they are still being punished. They can't wear their flag, they won't hear the Russian National Anthem if they win gold and I'm pretty sure most other athletes do not like ANY of the competitors from OAR due to suspicion. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, nudge said:

A Russian curler has reportedly tested positive for doping xD 

This is why some countries cant have nice things. After all the shit they had to go through to even get into these olympics this happens. Shows you that the IOC was right the first time around. Maybe they'll grow a pair and ban them from other sports too.

• Subscriber
Just now, Mel81x said:

This is why some countries cant have nice things. After all the shit they had to go through to even get into these olympics this happens. Shows you that the IOC was right the first time around. Maybe they'll grow a pair and ban them from other sports too.

But seriously, who dopes for curling?...

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

But seriously, who dopes for curling?...

People who need the drugs to enhance their form or focus perhaps? It's not actually very easy for the person pushing the stone to get the accuracy they need because the body has really got to be properly balanced. I can see drugs enhancing that aspect of it. Yes, it is a bit silly that of all the events to get caught in this was one of them but I do think that drugs can enhance things just a little bit.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

People who need the drugs to enhance their form or focus perhaps? It's not actually very easy for the person pushing the stone to get the accuracy they need because the body has really got to be properly balanced. I can see drugs enhancing that aspect of it. Yes, it is a bit silly that of all the events to get caught in this was one of them but I do think that drugs can enhance things just a little bit.

I can understand that line of thought, but still, in case of curling, does the risk even outweigh the rewards? Any actual performance enhancement seems a bit far-fetched, while the risk of getting caught is extremely high, so for me, it doesn't make any sense.

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

I can understand that line of thought, but still, in case of curling, does the risk even outweigh the rewards? Any actual performance enhancement seems a bit far-fetched, while the risk of getting caught is extremely high, so for me, it doesn't make any sense.

Doping in general is risky these days with the way they actually run the tests and the duration for which samples are kept and the amount of samples that are used in determining if an athlete actually cheated or not. But the need to win I suppose outweighs any risk involved.

• Subscriber
Just now, Mel81x said:

Doping in general is risky these days with the way they actually run the tests and the duration for which samples are kept and the amount of samples that are used in determining if an athlete actually cheated or not. But the need to win I suppose outweighs any risk involved.

Still only managed to win Bronze :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Think you'll have a shot at gold? 

Perhaps. Canada definitely didn't bring their best team, so at least Bronze is a real possibility. The team spirit seems excellent, and Marco Sturm is doing a great job. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived