talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wednesday 14th February - Porto 0-5 Liverpool (1st Leg)

football forum

Porto vs Liverpool  

9 members have voted

1. 1. The Result

2. 2. Both Teams to Score?

• Administrator

Kick-off 19.45

Info:
Vincent Aboubakar is top-scorer for Porto in all competitions with 26 goals. He has 5 goals in the Champions League. 
Porto finished 2nd in their group, 4 points behind surprise group-winners Besiktas
The only 2 games Porto have lost this season have come in the Champions League. They are unbeaten in their domestic league. 

For Liverpool, the Anfield Road End (at Anfield) is set to be expanded and they'll want something from this match to take back home.
Liverpool have already scored 94 goals this season; 29 of those have come in the Champions League.
Of those 29, Roberto Firmino has the most with 7. 
Mo Salah is the club's top scorer this season, with 29 in total.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/11/2018 at 20:57, Stan said:

For Liverpool, the Anfield Road End (at Anfield) is set to be expanded and they'll want something from this match to take back home.

xD

We're not in particularly good nick at the moment having played quite poorly against Tottenham and Southampton and only winning two of five since beating City a month ago.

The good news is that Emre Can's suspended for this one and Henderson's expected to return to the team.

I'm not so sure. On his day Can is much better than Henderson. On an off day, he's only slightly worse for me. Henderson has consistency, I'll give him that, but he's consistently average. 

Just highlights how desperate we are for a couple of CMs though.

As for tonight, If Porto have the defensive game that people say they do then we could have a very frustrating watch ahead of us. If they're all they are cracked up to be I'll say 1-1. If not, and they don't do their homework, I'll go 1-3.

• Administrator

Can is far better and effective than Henderson. 

Can seems more of a game-changer and more of an all-rounded midfielder than Henderson. 

I'm not even sure what Henderson gives to Liverpool. 

20 minutes ago, Stan said:

Can seems more of a game-changer and more of an all-rounded midfielder than Henderson. 

More talented maybe, but there's no way he's more effective.

Henderson's unspectacular, but we're a much better team with him on the pitch. If Can's a game changer, when has he ever changed a game in our favour?

Agree with @FOYM though. We're talking about shades of grey, because neither player is really good enough. We desperately need at least one more midfielder in addition to Keita.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

More talented maybe, but there's no way he's more effective.

Henderson's unspectacular, but we're a much better team with him on the pitch. If Can's a game changer, when has he ever changed a game in our favour?

Agree with @FOYM though. We're talking about shades of grey, because neither player is really good enough. We desperately need at least one more midfielder in addition to Keita.

the one game that springs to mind straight away is the game against Watford with that great goal in a shite game.

48 minutes ago, Stan said:

the one game that springs to mind straight away is the game against Watford with that great goal in a shite game.

It was a great goal, but he did very little else that night. That sort of sums up his game, to be honest - Match of the Day player.

He's never scored more than 5 goals in a season, which obviously isn't enough for someone who brings little else to the table.

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

It was a great goal, but he did very little else that night. That sort of sums up his game, to be honest - Match of the Day player.

He's never scored more than 5 goals in a season, which obviously isn't enough for someone who brings little else to the table.

Has Henderson?

last notable thing I remember Henderson doing was scoring that goal against Chelsea from about 30 yards out. 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Totally disagree with that. Henderson's a boring player overall, but our midfield looks so much worse without him. Can's got highlight reel moments, but he's got half the footballing brain Henderson does (at best).

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Has Henderson?

last notable thing I remember Henderson doing was scoring that goal against Chelsea from about 30 yards out. 

Twice for Liverpool, but that's not the point. Henderson is far better at the basics and Can's highlight reel moments are far too infrequent to compensate.

26 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

I'm so looking forward to this, Seems like a long long time since we were in a champions league knockout game. 

9 years...

Not sure why everyone seems to be judging Hendo and Can on how many goals they score and how they are not game changers when they both predominantly play the deepest of all our midfielders when the rest are marauding forward and are tasked with simply breaking up the oppositions attacks and distributing the ball to players further forward. 

Hendo in particular has said himself that he’s had to learn a new side to the game since Klopp took over which mostly entails the attributes I’ve mentioned above but also to basically keep possession ticking over. 

To be fair Hendo does that pretty well when fully fit but he’s been seriously hampered with major injuries for 2 seasons now. As said above, we are much better with him in the side than not. 

Can has also been carrying an injury until recently, so much so (and a few might not know this) that he was on painkilling injections before every match for around 9 months. You don’t start for Liverpool most weeks, get pursued by Juventus and be a German International from the age of 20 if you’re a crap player !

Taking into account the roles each player takes up in Klopp’s system.... They are never going to be game changing, goal machines. More likely they will be the ones that nobody notices whilst quietly doing the job they’ve been asked to do. 

14 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Neither are good enough let's be honest. Anyway, here's the team

DWBAuxdWAAQ6DIE?format=png

They can be improved upon for sure in terms if first 11 players, most players can. But some talk as if they have no right to even be in the squad which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. 

We moan about not having strength in depth constantly, but yet want players like Can and Hendo binning off. 

5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

They can be improved upon for sure in terms if first 11 players, most players can. But some talk as if they have no right to even be in the squad which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. 

We moan about not having strength in depth constantly, but yet want players like Can and Hendo binning off. 

They'd be alright as back ups/squad players yeah. The fact that players like these two are regular starters has been a major problem over the last eight or nine years

• The title was changed to Wednesday 14th February - Porto 0-5 Liverpool (1st Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived