talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wednesday 14th February - Porto 0-5 Liverpool (1st Leg)

football forum

Porto vs Liverpool  

9 members have voted

1. 1. The Result

2. 2. Both Teams to Score?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Not taking anything away from Liverpool as I didn't watch the game but a comment on the Portuguese league, Porto top and unbeaten all season then twatted 5-0 at home. Benfica one league defeat all season got turfed out of the group stage scoring once in six games in a group including CSKA Moscow and Basel. Sporting one league defeat all season and out in the group stage though they had Juventus and Barcelona to be fair, they play Astana tomorrow.

Portuguese sides in recent years have usually seemed to beat the teams they should beat without much problem but have struggled to live with the teams from the top five leagues.

• The title was changed to Wednesday 14th February - Porto 0-5 Liverpool (1st Leg)
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Not taking anything away from Liverpool as I didn't watch the game but a comment on the Portuguese league, Porto top and unbeaten all season then twatted 5-0 at home. Benfica one league defeat all season got turfed out of the group stage scoring once in six games in a group including CSKA Moscow and Basel. Sporting one league defeat all season and out in the group stage though they had Juventus and Barcelona to be fair, they play Astana tomorrow.

Portuguese sides in recent years have usually seemed to beat the teams they should beat without much problem but have struggled to live with the teams from the top five leagues.

Yeah, I'm not sure how good they really are tbh. Benfica's fucked us over a few times in the past, so I was expecting a more from Porto. Especially with the form they've been in and the way their fans seemed to be well up for it. But they might just be flat track bullies, dominating a league that's not anywhere near the high standard as the bigger leagues.

Not going to complain though. Winning 5-0 away is a nice way to return to the knockout stages of Europe's since 2009.

24 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Beat me to it. It seemed to decline hugely in just a year, although it was on a slow downward slope prior.

Just now, Blue said:

Beat me to it. It seemed to decline hugely in just a year, although it was on a slow downward slope prior.

I just wish we were only leading 1-0 going into the second leg otherwise complacency might set in!

Horrible being 5-0 up ffs :ph34r: 

30 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They'd only conceded 5 goals in the league at the time of the draw.

Guess it's good for them they don't play in England.

And twice as many as that in a group containing Besiktas, Leipzig and Monaco. Not taking anything away from us tonight, we've far exceeded expectations anyone could have imagined before the game tonight (I thought we could get a couple of goals lead at best) but we probably couldn't have had an easier draw at this stage

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

And twice as many as that in a group containing Besiktas, Leipzig and Monaco. Not taking anything away from us tonight, we've far exceeded expectations anyone could have imagined before the game tonight (I thought we could get a couple of goals lead at best) but we probably couldn't have had an easier draw at this stage

I think Basel would've been torn apart by us, like they were against Citeh, purely based on the strength of their league (not strong at all) and the fact they haven't played football since December 17th or something like that. But yeah, we've exceeded expectations significantly.

• Subscriber

What a game last night. Don't think we did too much wrong there and Karius actually had a good game eventhough he had very little to do. Think the return leg is going to be a good ease of pressure now. Not like we should take it lightly either ways. 

Felt it would be much much closer, never seen this 0-5 coming.  To be fair when was the last time Porto conceded five home? Just watched the highlights and what a goal by Salah already on 30 this season. If he keeps this up Liverpool will struggle to keep a hold of him in the summer. 

Amazing result for Liverpool away to FC Porto.

Porto's history has offered some great sides of the past and they've also gone through their low moments like any club anywhere no matter the name.  But what you have always been guaranteed with FC Porto is that when you visited their place you were probably never going to win and most likely lose... Whatever happened in the away leg for the Portugese club depended on how good that side were in relation to their history.

I don't know what's going on there right now because I don't have as much time on my hands as I used to where I would follow the adventures of so many leagues and clubs but if someone were to bet me that anyone in Europe would go there and annihilate Porto at their place 0-5 I'd laugh at them and through compassion I wouldn't take their bet on.

A truly historic result for those that understand football history and all that.  Amazing!

• Liverpool registered the joint-biggest away Champions League knock-out win, equalling Bayern Munich's 5-0 win at Sporting in February 2009 and Real Madrid at Schalke in February 2014.
  • The Reds have scored more Champions League goals this season (28) than any other club.
  • This is Porto's heaviest-ever home European defeat and the first time they've conceded more than three goals in a home European match.
  • Liverpool are the first English side to score five goals in an away Champions League knockout match.
  • Mo Salah became the first Liverpool player to score 30 goals in all competitions in a single season since Luis Suarez (31) in 2013/14.
  • Liverpool have won four matches by five or more goals in all competitions this season, the first time they've achieved that since the 1985/86 season (five victories by that margin).

2 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Salah will break that Suarez record in 5 games max.

It’s astonishing really how he’s performing. I know we had a lot of banter earlier in the season but I agree with liquidator, nobody could have predicted how good he’s become. 

We literally have one of the best players in the world on our hands. 

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

It’s astonishing really how he’s performing. I know we had a lot of banter earlier in the season but I agree with liquidator, nobody could have predicted how good he’s become. 

We literally have one of the best players in the world on our hands. 

Until May that is :ph34r:

Yeah would need to be four or maybe five hundred million if not a billion to even entertain the thought in this current era of hyperinflation football transfers.

Wish we hadn’t sold Coutinho. Genuine chance to build big this summer if we secure a top 4 finish and put in a decent showing in the UCL knockouts.

In any case, for an Egyptian the move to a Spanish club seems less inevitable than with Spanish or South American players.... Think he’d be pretty safe until the end of the following year, with us having a good chance of keeping him longer if we satisfy his ambitions.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived