talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wednesday 14th February - Porto 0-5 Liverpool (1st Leg)

football forum

Porto vs Liverpool  

9 members have voted

1. 1. The Result

2. 2. Both Teams to Score?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Machado said:

Excellent result :D

Despite Benfica sometimes dicking us over the past, they're 100% my favourite Portguese club.

I hope us smashing Porto leads to them losing all confidence. Leading to us smashing them again at Anfield and to them losing form in the league so you can take the title.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Despite Benfica sometimes dicking us over the past, they're 100% my favourite Portguese club.

I hope us smashing Porto leads to them losing all confidence. Leading to us smashing them again at Anfield and to them losing form in the league so you can take the title.

They didn't really expect to beat Liverpool in 2 games but they also didn't expect to concede 5 at home. I'm not sure they'll lose confidence, depends on what happens in the 2nd leg. Maybe they'll take another 5, who knows :D

On 2/15/2018 at 09:05, SirBalon said:

Amazing result for Liverpool away to FC Porto.

Porto's history has offered some great sides of the past and they've also gone through their low moments like any club anywhere no matter the name.  But what you have always been guaranteed with FC Porto is that when you visited their place you were probably never going to win and most likely lose... Whatever happened in the away leg for the Portugese club depended on how good that side were in relation to their history.

I don't know what's going on there right now because I don't have as much time on my hands as I used to where I would follow the adventures of so many leagues and clubs but if someone were to bet me that anyone in Europe would go there and annihilate Porto at their place 0-5 I'd laugh at them and through compassion I wouldn't take their bet on.

A truly historic result for those that understand football history and all that.  Amazing!

Top post.

Our heaviest defeat at home, before this season, was a 1-3 loss against the Galácticos, in 2003/04. Never in my nightmares did I imagined we would lose against this Liverpool side by 5 goals. Past encounters against better Liverpool team's were much more balanced.

On 2/15/2018 at 11:13, Cannabis said:

Absolutely embarrassing for Porto and I'm not even trolling for bites. Fair play to Liverpool, on their day they're unplayable but to get spanked 5-0 in your own back yard in the knockout stage is embarrassing and shows the unfortunate gulf between the Premier League/La Liga/Bundesliga and "B" leagues. 

Being bummed at the Allianz a few years ago was embarrassing but this is on home turf ffs.

Absolutely. 

There was no passion, no spirit fight, no hunger from the players, as soon as Liverpool scored the second one. There's no plausible justification for what happened Wednesday night.

There's a huge gap, in terms of budgets, between the Portuguese teams and the top four leagues. The things is that this gap always existed and, despite that, we always managed to put up decent fights against Europe's richest.

Unfortunately, the league as been declining in terms of quality, in the past 3 seasons. Standards have dropped massively, especially at my club, so these type of results, are starting to be the norm, instead of the exception.

I'm afraid we'll have to put up with more of the same, in the next years. We need a new administration, new blood at this club. New ideas, that will allow us to compete at a high level, despite the FFP. We are run by a fucking dinosaur, that just won't leave the club.

Our darkest night in Europe, by far. A very sad moment. 

On 2/16/2018 at 14:02, ASF said:

Top post.

Our heaviest defeat at home, before this season, was a 1-3 loss against the Galácticos, in 2003/04. Never in my nightmares did I imagined we would lose against this Liverpool side by 5 goals. Past encounters against better Liverpool team's were much more balanced.

Absolutely. 

There was no passion, no spirit fight, no hunger from the players, as soon as Liverpool scored the second one. There's no plausible justification for what happened Wednesday night.

There's a huge gap, in terms of budgets, between the Portuguese teams and the top four leagues. The things is that this gap always existed and, despite that, we always managed to put up decent fights against Europe's richest.

Unfortunately, the league as been declining in terms of quality, in the past 3 seasons. Standards have dropped massively, especially at my club, so these type of results, are starting to be the norm, instead of the exception.

I'm afraid we'll have to put up with more of the same, in the next years. We need a new administration, new blood at this club. New ideas, that will allow us to compete at a high level, despite the FFP. We are run by a fucking dinosaur, that just won't leave the club.

Our darkest night in Europe, by far. A very sad moment. 

I'm not sure you've faced a better LFC side than this one that's spanked you though. Maybe a stronger midfield you've faced, but this is one of our stronger sides in a very long time.

• The topic was unpinned
On 2/18/2018 at 17:46, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm not sure you've faced a better LFC side than this one that's spanked you though. Maybe a stronger midfield you've faced, but this is one of our stronger sides in a very long time.

Your 2007/08 team was definitely stronger than this one. Less flamboyant, for sure, but more solid.

I liked your 2000/01 team. 

1 hour ago, ASF said:

Your 2007/08 team was definitely stronger than this one. Less flamboyant, for sure, but more solid.

I liked your 2000/01 team. 

I think our current side is a bit stronger than the 07/08 side. I think that was a really good side, but with Klopp we've just got more quality all over the pitch than any of our Rafa sides did. Don't get me wrong, I think that the 07/08 side is probably 2nd best in my lifetime. But I haven't seen a Liverpool side like this one before (discounting the stuff before we signed VvD, because in the short time he's been here our defense looks ways less shite).

Archived