The better place to talk football.

Competition - Last Man Standing

football forum

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
On 18/02/2018 at 19:46, Stan said:

Wycombe to win at home to Morecambe on Saturday. 

imagine choosing 2nd placed Wycombe at home to 2nd from bottom Morecambe. 

Who would even do that?! 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I've an idea for the next edition. How about posting up five games all with an increasing level of difficulty to tip. 5 points for the hardest tip (ie - United/Chelsea) and 1 point for the easiest (ie - City/Wrexham) with obviously 4, 3 and 2 points awarded for the games inbetween. 

Might encourage people to tip tough games and take it easy/ take a risk as and when they need to based on the league table. 

@randiia3

@RandoEFC

guessing that would entail a lot more work/time for Rando especially if you keep the rule that, as a competitor, you can't pick the same team twice. Would mean that the 5 games would have to be very carefully chosen as over time, someone who is still in the competition may run out of teams to choose from. 

• Subscriber

Round 2 Results

Eliminated (2):

@Bluebird Hewitt

Brackley Town 3-0 North Ferriby United

Dorchester Town 1-1 Dunstable Town

@Stan

Napoli 1-0 SPAL

Wycombe Wanderers 2-4 Morecambe

Survivors (9):

@RandoEFC

Benfica 4-0 Boavista

Real Madrid 4-0 Alaves

@Dan

Red Bull Salzburg 4-0 St Polten

Brondby 6-1 Helsingor

@Bluewolf

Paris Saint-Germain 5-2 Strasbourg

Inter Milan 2-0 Benevento

@Berserker

Sabail 0-1 Qarabag

Ethnikos Achnas 1-4 Apollon Limassol

@Smiley Culture

Brechin City 0-1 Falkirk

Barcelona 6-1 Girona

@nudge

Paris Saint-Germain 5-2 Strasbourg

Bayern Munich 5-0 Besiktas

@Eco

Napoli 1-0 SPAL

Inter Milan 2-0 Benevento

@Azeem98

Real Madrid 3-1 Paris Saint-Germain

Zob Ahan 2-1 Padideh Khorasan

@Lucas

Red Bull Salzburg 4-0 St Polten

Young Boys 1-0 Sion

@Stan can consider himself very unlucky not to progress to the third stage, as high-flying Wycombe's off day allowed Morecambe to take a big win on the road. @Bluebird Hewitt will join him on the sidelines after Dorchester Town and Dunstable Town played out a draw in the lower leagues. @Azeem98 can take the "best escape of the week" award this time with Zob Ahan securing a 2-1 win over Padideh FC with a 90th minute winner.

Into the third round go @RandoEFC @Dan @Bluewolf @Berserker @Smiley Culture @nudge @Eco @Azeem98 @Lucas. Good luck folks. You can choose any football match from Monday 26 February until Sunday 4 March, remembering not to choose any teams you've already used!

My own pick for Round 3 comes next Saturday, as Celtic host Greenock Morton in the Scottish FA Cup Quarter-Final

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Fuck sake. Had that as a banker, considering Dunstable Town had played 35, scored 22 and conceded 111 prior to that game. xD

i'm still livid with Wycombe. They're on the cunt list for sure. 

I have a suggestion going forward in further competitions after this one is done.

Personally I feel it is probably a bit too vast the way we select our teams at the moment. Perhaps we could keep them to specific countries so that next time we stick to England only and the 4 major leagues, then after that Germany, Italy, France, Spain etc

That way it does offer a greater challenge plus you could do it almost like Grand Prix/Rugby Sevens style so that you gain points for each 'round' to ultimately win overall?

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I have a suggestion going forward in further competitions after this one is done.

Personally I feel it is probably a bit too vast the way we select our teams at the moment. Perhaps we could keep them to specific countries so that next time we stick to England only and the 4 major leagues, then after that Germany, Italy, France, Spain etc

That way it does offer a greater challenge plus you could do it almost like Grand Prix/Rugby Sevens style so that you gain points for each 'round' to ultimately win overall?

Yeah I think we'll rejig things in future. Another thought of mine is to instead of choose a match winner you have to choose a fixture for both teams to score, or an anytime goalscorer, or you have to pick a game which will be a draw, any of those would be much more challenging.

I think it's gone okay so far though. The downside of including any game anywhere is that it's too easy to find a banker but after two rounds we've already lost 8 people out of the 17 that started.

• The topic was pinned
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

tbh I'd have been livid if I'd have lost to you given your betting history :ph34r: 

I'm jinxed. That's one of the most ridiculous results I've seen.

Plzen's record going into that game was 15-2-0. Jihlava's was 4-1-12. Of course Jihlava go and win xD

• The topic was unpinned

Archived