talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Asian Football

football forum

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Do you get to any matches out there? I go and watch the local team play now and then (thats in India of course)

I've been to a few matches in Thailand and Cambodia in the past, but there is no local team (in the first or second tier( that I can regularly follow in my area at the moment, so I've been restricted to casually attending amateur/youth matches for fun only. Which is a pity, as the locals are extremely passionate about football and the atmosphere is quite nice, in general.

I'm particularly interested in Thai and Vietnamese football, so that's the two main leagues I try to follow, but certainly keep an eye on Cambodian League too, as well as the general news on the latest developments in the region.

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, nudge said:

@Mel81x are there any Indian clubs taking part in the AFC Champions League this season?

Yes they are playing tomorrow in the AFC (Bengaluru FC) against TC Sports but its an away game. Went to a match last Friday as I get out of work a bit late and can't really make weekday matches. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Yes they are playing tomorrow in the AFC (Bengaluru FC) against TC Sports but its an away game. Went to a match last Friday as I get out of work a bit late and can't really make weekday matches. 

Ah, the AFC Cup, I think Aizawl (spelling?) is also there now after being knocked out of the CL qualification.

• Subscriber
42 minutes ago, nudge said:

Ah, the AFC Cup, I think Aizawl (spelling?) is also there now after being knocked out of the CL qualification.

You have that right. They had such a phenomenal year last year in the local I-League that it was almost unprecedented how it happened.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

You have that right. They had such a phenomenal year last year in the local I-League that it was almost unprecedented how it happened.

How is the level of football in Indian league(s) in general? I think many countries in both Southeast and South Asia are currently witnessing the rise of football with growing professionalism and improving infrastructure, particularly at the grassroots level, but I haven't got the slightest idea about the situation in India (I would guess football there is still somewhat overshadowed by cricket?)

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, nudge said:

How is the level of football in Indian league(s) in general? I think many countries in both Southeast and South Asia are currently witnessing the rise of football with growing professionalism and improving infrastructure, particularly at the grassroots level, but I haven't got the slightest idea about the situation in India (I would guess football there is still somewhat overshadowed by cricket?)

In India it really depends on where in the country you are. As you go further south the split between football and cricket starts to show a bit more. And far out in the eastern parts they do like cricket but the football is almost religious. It predominantly also depends on the region and what history it has. For example, where I come (Goa) from cricket is followed but football is far more popular so you'll see far more people flock to local games or get engaged in smaller team games as well. 

As for the level of football its slowly improving from the state it was in almost 4 yrs ago. The Indian Super League did some wonders for the sport but its still not at the level you'd need to be to make a WC or challenge the better teams around the world. But, its getting there and if they keep going at this rate I think we'll see good progress within the decade. I hope to see my country at a WC one day but I am also realistic about how football is considered for growth and investment purposes across our sport board as well.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, nudge said:

@Mel81x I'm currently watching Goa vs Chennai, quite a good match and nice support, I think I'll keep an eye on the league hehe. 

As long as you support Goa and not Chennai all will be okay :)

Even if we're a goal down right now

Edited by Mel81x

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Thai League table after two matchdays:

DPm0swPBnYY3bOFmz6pQJT7a4TUaOGOmtQRWfRN1

Image Source: Thai League Football

Week Three fixtures:

TxhDUlw.jpg

Image Source: Thai League Football

Muangthong United won 1-0 against Air Force yesterday :banana:

Also, Thai football star Teerasil Dangda had a brilliant debut in Japanese league, scoring the winning goal for his team! ^_^

Edited by nudge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Asian Cup 2019 qualifiers are now over, here the countries that made it through:

Big achievement for the Philippines, who will be playing in the tournament for the first time ever, after beating Tajikistan in their deciding match yesterday!

Edited by nudge

Used to watch some of the Singapore and Malaysia matches when I lived in Singapore. Incredibly passionate supporters. The groundwork and framework for football in ASEAN nations is already there. Now all they need is investment and technical know-how if they want to truly make an impact on the international stage. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

DamRyDTUwAATzby.jpg

Final seeding for the Asian Cup, the group draw will take place in Dubai on May 4th. 

A realistic opportunity for Thailand to reach knockout stages, hope for a good performance from Vietnam, too. India in Pot 3, thoughts on your chances @Mel81x?

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, nudge said:

DamRyDTUwAATzby.jpg

Final seeding for the Asian Cup, the group draw will take place in Dubai on May 4th. 

A realistic opportunity for Thailand to reach knockout stages, hope for a good performance from Vietnam, too. India in Pot 3, thoughts on your chances @Mel81x?

I can actually see us getting out of that Pot and progressing. I see problems with Oman and only because we've suffered there before but the rest I think we shouldn't really do so bad against. Our NT is getting a lot better and with the success string of the ISL our local game development is also getting better (nowhere near world standards just yet). Didn't figure you for supporting Thailand but with Qatar in there and Iraq I don't know about your chances being as good.

Edited by Mel81x

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

I can actually see us getting out of that Pot and progressing. I see problems with Oman and only because we've suffered there before but the rest I think we shouldn't really do so bad against. Our NT is getting a lot better and with the success string of the ISL our local game development is also getting better (nowhere near world standards just yet). 

That's not the final groups, just the seeding pots for the draw :P The groups will be drawn next month. Was just wondering what the general expectations are, is making the knockout stages on cards, or not really? 

Australia, Japan the favourites as usual, South Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia should be close too, but it would be nice too see some unexpected surprises instead.

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

That's not the final groups, just the seeding pots for the draw :P The groups will be drawn next month. Was just wondering what the general expectations are, is making the knockout stages on cards, or not really? 

Australia, Japan the favourites as usual, South Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia should be close too, but it would be nice too see some unexpected surprises instead.

Why did I not see Pot at the top of those lists :(. Having said that I don't think we'll do very well but this team will put up a fight. The youth team didn't do as bad as I expected them to at the FIFA WC and this senior squad has a lot of promise. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Asian Football
  • Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Toinho said:

So... Honda who’s just signed for Melbourne Victory has also been announced as Cambodia’s Coach?!?!?

Yes. Weird appointment, really. Not sure how it's supposed to work; apparently he will only be here during off-season in Australia and on international breaks, and will communicate with the players and staff via video conferences at other times... 

That said, he has already opened a football academy here a few years ago, and he will not be getting any salary, so his intentions are clearly good. I'm just not sure it will help much considering he will barely have any time to change things that need changing.

EDIT: After doing some research, this is even weirder than I thought. So apparently now they're calling him just the "General Manager", and the official head coach of the team will be some 30 year old Argentine who played in lower leagues in Japan for most of his career... :dam:

So yeah, looks like a weird PR move, nothing else. 

Edited by nudge