Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Asian Football

UAE filed a case against Qatar fielding two ineligible players who didn't spend enough time in Qatar to get naturalized against them in the Asian Cup 2019 semi final. 

Decision might take a week or so 

xD

Persepolis FC beat Saudi Arabia's Al Nassr on penalties to make the AFC Champions League final. The match went to penalties, it was a pretty hard fought match. Persepolis's star striker Isa Al-Kasir was suspended for 6 months right before kickoff (he made a racist gesture to a player from an Uzbek side) - but they managed to get through on penalties.

I'm not sure about the format of this, but I think it's West Asia vs East Asia - and East Asian matches in the AFC Champions League aren't back until November... so the final will be in December.

I watched a recording of it, but this is the first time in something like 20 years where I've actually been able to watch a Persepolis match. So that's pretty cool.

On 07/10/2020 at 03:04, Dr. Gonzo said:

Persepolis FC beat Saudi Arabia's Al Nassr on penalties to make the AFC Champions League final. The match went to penalties, it was a pretty hard fought match. Persepolis's star striker Isa Al-Kasir was suspended for 6 months right before kickoff (he made a racist gesture to a player from an Uzbek side) - but they managed to get through on penalties.

I'm not sure about the format of this, but I think it's West Asia vs East Asia - and East Asian matches in the AFC Champions League aren't back until November... so the final will be in December.

I watched a recording of it, but this is the first time in something like 20 years where I've actually been able to watch a Persepolis match. So that's pretty cool.

That’s interesting, thought usually West and East sides could meet in knockout rounds as the two times Australian teams have made the final were against Japanese sides. 

Yeah, we qualified for the first time ever - played an away game and COVID hit. Think we have about 10 registered players at the moment. Lol 

33 minutes ago, Toinho said:

That’s interesting, thought usually West and East sides could meet in knockout rounds as the two times Australian teams have made the final were against Japanese sides. 

Yeah, we qualified for the first time ever - played an away game and COVID hit. Think we have about 10 registered players at the moment. Lol 

Maybe they changed the format around because of covid? Idk honestly, I don’t get much of a chance to watch Asian football except for some Iran matches sometimes

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Maybe they changed the format around because of covid? Idk honestly, I don’t get much of a chance to watch Asian football except for some Iran matches sometimes

Yes they did... Normally, the regions start mixing from quarterfinals. 

• Upvote 1

Now that I've managed to find a way to view the matches... I am pretty excited about the upcoming Persian Gulf Pro League season that's starting at the end of the month.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Now that I've managed to find a way to view the matches... I am pretty excited about the upcoming Persian Gulf Pro League season that's starting at the end of the month.

Any club you follow there? 

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Any club you follow there? 

Most of my family that likes football in Iran are Persepolis FC fans. I've got a cousin that likes Saipa too, so I guess I like both of those clubs. If I had to pick one, I'd probably pick Persepolis because they play in red xD - but it's also the equivalent of gloryhunting because I think they're Iran's biggest club by far.

The clubs I know I'm not supposed to like are: Esteghal (also from Tehran like those other two, but they're also sort of the "regime" club - even pre-revolution... and if you know my politics regarding Iran: fuck the Shah and also fuck the Islamic Republic) & Tractor Sazi (I actually don't know why I'm not supposed to like them, but my cousins in Tehran all hate them).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Most of my family that likes football in Iran are Persepolis FC fans. I've got a cousin that likes Saipa too, so I guess I like both of those clubs. If I had to pick one, I'd probably pick Persepolis because they play in red xD - but it's also the equivalent of gloryhunting because I think they're Iran's biggest club by far.

The clubs I know I'm not supposed to like are: Esteghal (also from Tehran like those other two, but they're also sort of the "regime" club - even pre-revolution... and if you know my politics regarding Iran: fuck the Shah and also fuck the Islamic Republic) & Tractor Sazi (I actually don't know why I'm not supposed to like them, but my cousins in Tehran all hate them).

Could be because they are seen as an Azerbaijani club with strong racist tendencies against Kurds and Persians? 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, nudge said:

Could be because they are seen as an Azerbaijani club with strong racist tendencies against Kurds and Persians? 

Yeah, it could be that. I went onto the club's Twitter page and they are going absolutely mental with Azeri nationalism - it's weird though because in the comments there seem to be a lot of their fans expressing dismay/disgust at the club for that. I know politics and football go hand in hand a lot, others are pretty gungho about it though.

It's weird because I know a few Azeri-Iranians and they're definitely not like the Azeri nationalists you might see online (particularly the ones from Azerbaijan the country, not Azerbaijan the state in Iran) - maybe they're a bit more heated about the ethnic differences in Iran than the people who made it out? That wouldn't surprise me.

It also might be a Tabriz v. Tehran thing - considering those are the two biggest cities in the country & city rivalries might exist. I know my great aunt (the one the Shah had enough of torturing and kicked out of the country) lived in Tabriz for a year or two for a while because it was sort of a hotbed for the Tudeh party (that she was pretty heavily involved in) - while she was alive she never mentioned anything about being treated differently in Tabriz for being a Persian from Tehran. But... it was a very different Iran back then, for sure.

They do the "Marg Bar Diktator" chant like Persepolis does when they play Esteghal... so they can't be all that bad xD

• Upvote 1

@nudge idk if you even care, but fuck it I want to tell someone. So apologies if you don't give a shit.

I have picked two teams - which might be kind of weird because... they could potentially play each other. But I'm not a normal Iranian, so why should I support Iranian football teams normally.

I'm going with teams based off family connection. I've got family from (mostly) Tehran, a bit in Shiraz, and some family up in some town by the Caspian sea in Gilan province. So for Tehran, Persepolis FC wins out because most of my family are Persepolis FC fans. It's also the easiest Iranian team to watch matches of outside Iran except for maybe Tractor Sazi. Persepolis also covers Shiraz! This is a stretch... but they're named after that ancient palace Persepolis... which is really close to Shiraz. And Shiraz doesn't have any teams in the top flight so... close enough!

The next team is SC Damash Gilan, it looks like people mostly call them Damash. They're in Rasht, which I think is the capital of Gilan province. I'll probably never get to see them play unless they get promoted up a division though, because they're in the league just below the Iranian top flight. Jahanbakhsh & more importantly Mehdi Mahdavikia (imo Iran's best player in my lifetime) played for them.

Mahdavikia started and finished his career at Persepolis too, so I think I've found two good clubs for me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@nudge idk if you even care, but fuck it I want to tell someone. So apologies if you don't give a shit.

I have picked two teams - which might be kind of weird because... they could potentially play each other. But I'm not a normal Iranian, so why should I support Iranian football teams normally.

I'm going with teams based off family connection. I've got family from (mostly) Tehran, a bit in Shiraz, and some family up in some town by the Caspian sea in Gilan province. So for Tehran, Persepolis FC wins out because most of my family are Persepolis FC fans. It's also the easiest Iranian team to watch matches of outside Iran except for maybe Tractor Sazi. Persepolis also covers Shiraz! This is a stretch... but they're named after that ancient palace Persepolis... which is really close to Shiraz. And Shiraz doesn't have any teams in the top flight so... close enough!

The next team is SC Damash Gilan, it looks like people mostly call them Damash. They're in Rasht, which I think is the capital of Gilan province. I'll probably never get to see them play unless they get promoted up a division though, because they're in the league just below the Iranian top flight. Jahanbakhsh & more importantly Mehdi Mahdavikia (imo Iran's best player in my lifetime) played for them.

Mahdavikia started and finished his career at Persepolis too, so I think I've found two good clubs for me.

I personally think you should have gone with Tractor Sazi just to piss your cousins off 😂

Nah, sounds good! I find following some more "obscure" leagues kind of rewarding, especially when you have a personal connection, and Iranian football is underrated in the West anyway. 

Your grandma is from Shiraz, right? 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, nudge said:

I personally think you should have gone with Tractor Sazi just to piss your cousins off 😂

Nah, sounds good! I find following some more "obscure" leagues kind of rewarding, especially when you have a personal connection, and Iranian football is underrated in the West anyway. 

Your grandma is from Shiraz, right? 

Yeah she is - she was born there and grew up there, but lived in Tehran for most of her adult life. Now she splits time between Shiraz & Tehran, or at least she did pre-COVID.