• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2017/18 FA Cup Fifth Round Match Chat - 16-19th February, 2018

football forum

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Penalty for Spurs! Trippier fouled outside the box but carried on in to it. Penalty given via VAR (correct decision).

Son scores but hesitated and feinted in the run-up so referee chose not to give it and yellow card given!

• Administrator

Pretty sure VAR has got all decisions right. Or at least can see why they've been reviewed/overturned if necessary.

First goal disallowed - Llorente pulling the defender. 
Trippier free-kick/penalty - originally given as a free-kick. Reviewed and 'upgraded' as the holding offence continued in to the box.
Son Penalty - hesitated and feinted and totally stopped during the run-up. Illegal as per the rules. (think this was a on-field referee decision but still correct).

The only thing that works against it tonight is time taken to get to the decision which I perfectly understand. just can't think of the solution other than (ironically) giving VAR in this country even more time so it can be done right.

Oh and another thing - letting fans in the stadium know what the fuck is going on. Totally unfair that they don't have a clue while everyone else watching at home/in the pub knows. 

I'm a VAR supporter and it is the right thing for the game because ultimately, we need the correct decisions need to be made as they have been tonight. But they definitely need to fine tune it. It has tainted tonight's game for me. 

I think the referee tonight for example, has lost faith in his own decision making that he's scared to ignore VAR at the slightest bit of dispute over a decision. He's scared VAR is going to prove him wrong and make him look a mug.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Pretty sure VAR has got all decisions right. Or at least can see why they've been reviewed/overturned if necessary.

First goal disallowed - Llorente pulling the defender. 
Trippier free-kick/penalty - originally given as a free-kick. Reviewed and 'upgraded' as the holding offence continued in to the box.
Son Penalty - hesitated and feinted and totally stopped during the run-up. Illegal as per the rules. (think this was a on-field referee decision but still correct).

The only thing that works against it tonight is time taken to get to the decision which I perfectly understand. just can't think of the solution other than (ironically) giving VAR in this country even more time so it can be done right.

Oh and another thing - letting fans in the stadium know what the fuck is going on. Totally unfair that they don't have a clue while everyone else watching at home/in the pub knows. 

Maybe a time limit for making the decision? If VAR is only supposed to be used to overturn clear and obvious errors, it shouldn't take long to get it right. I don't think I've seen a single instance of it being used where it didn't take more than one or two replays to know what the correct decision was.  Why we then have to wait several minutes for the decision to be announced by the referee is beyond me.

Letting fans know what's going on should be easy at stadiums like Wembley where there's a big screen, but it'd be a struggle at places like Anfield beyond saying "The video assistant referee is reviewing the decision" which should be obvious anyway.

8 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Maybe a time limit for making the decision? If VAR is only supposed to be used to overturn clear and obvious errors, it shouldn't take long to get it right. I don't think I've seen a single instance of it being used where it didn't take more than one or two replays to know what the correct decision was.  Why we then have to wait several minutes for the decision to be announced by the referee is beyond me.

Letting fans know what's going on should be easy at stadiums like Wembley where there's a big screen, but it'd be a struggle at places like Anfield beyond saying "The video assistant referee is reviewing the decision" which should be obvious anyway.

Why should there be a time limit on the decision making process? That just defeats the purpose of having VAR in the first place. 

1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

Why should there be a time limit on the decision making process? That just defeats the purpose of having VAR in the first place. 

If you need countless replays to determine that the referee has made a mistake, it's not 'clear and obvious', which is supposed to be the scope of VAR. There's no reason it should take several minutes to watch a replay and determine that (for example) Llorente pulled the defender's shirt.

4 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

If you need countless replays to determine that the referee has made a mistake, it's not 'clear and obvious', which is supposed to be the scope of VAR. There's no reason it should take several minutes to watch a replay and determine that (for example) Llorente pulled the defender's shirt.

VAR isn't used to determine whether the referee has made a mistake. 

• Subscriber

VAR's a joke. Watched them back now.

Llorente is never a foul in a million years, he is actually pulled first by the defender, and it's 6 of one half a dozen of another at best, but not a foul, and certainly not clear and obvious. 

Trippier for me is not a penalty, foul outside the box, doesn't really carry on into the box and its extremely soft.

Then they get the penalty completely wrong - both the ref and VAR. Nothing wrong with what Son did. Only problem was encroachment so should have been a retake. 

Beyond that took too long, ruined the flow of the first half, took far too much time - changing football for the worse. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Storts said:

VAR's a joke. Watched them back now.

Llorente is never a foul in a million years, he is actually pulled first by the defender, and it's 6 of one half a dozen of another at best, but not a foul, and certainly not clear and obvious. 

Trippier for me is not a penalty, foul outside the box, doesn't really carry on into the box and its extremely soft.

Then they get the penalty completely wrong - both the ref and VAR. Nothing wrong with what Son did. Only problem was encroachment so should have been a retake. 

Beyond that took too long, ruined the flow of the first half, took far too much time - changing football for the worse. 

don't think that was checked by VAR. Purely a referee decision.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

don't think that was checked by VAR. Purely a referee decision.

Said in the ground it was being checked by VAR, ref had his hand to his ear, pretty sure he did. 

All in all not impressed at all. For the match going fan it's just not a positive step, but even for the armchair's like Smiley it can't be good when they can't even get decisions right. 

• Subscriber

VAR in itself is just a bunch of replays that the referees can see to make sure they haven't missed anything. Surely this is not a problem as it leads to a more fair sporting event.

If it is causing an issue rather than leading to correct decisions, the problem doesn't lie with VAR, it is either

A) the guys watching the videos back don't understand the rules properly.

B) referees are going to VAR too often for marginal calls that don't need it.

C) too many rules in football are too open to interpretation to the extent that two fully qualified referees can read the same situation in a completely different way to each other and reasonably justify their point of view.

D) nearly all footballers spend just as much time trying to deceive officials to gain an advantage as they do trying to gain an advantage through actually being good at playing football meaning that it's probably verging on impossible for games to be officiated effectively with or without video technology.

E) all of the above.

VAR is useful technology. Incompetent officials, contradictory rules and grey areas along with cheating players are the problem I'm afraid.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

VAR in itself is just a bunch of replays that the referees can see to make sure they haven't missed anything. Surely this is not a problem as it leads to a more fair sporting event.

If it is causing an issue rather than leading to correct decisions, the problem doesn't lie with VAR, it is either

A) the guys watching the videos back don't understand the rules properly.

B) referees are going to VAR too often for marginal calls that don't need it.

C) too many rules in football are too open to interpretation to the extent that two fully qualified referees can read the same situation in a completely different way to each other and reasonably justify their point of view.

D) nearly all footballers spend just as much time trying to deceive officials to gain an advantage as they do trying to gain an advantage through actually being good at playing football meaning that it's probably verging on impossible for games to be officiated effectively with or without video technology.

E) all of the above.

VAR is useful technology. Incompetent officials, contradictory rules and grey areas along with cheating players are the problem I'm afraid.

All of the above, but with all of the above, that means VAR isn't useful technology. Its counter productive and ruining the game.

I can't stress enough how awful it is for the match going fan. It really does ruin the experience and the best part of football, celebrating goals

• Subscriber
Just now, Storts said:

All of the above, but with all of the above, that means VAR isn't useful technology. Its counter productive and ruining the game.

I can't stress enough how awful it is for the match going fan. It really does ruin the experience and the best part of football, celebrating goals

I definitely get that point of view but it's the way things are going. In tennis you can hit an ace to win a grand slam final then have to wait for Hawkeye to check that it was in. In rugby you can score a try and have to wait for confirmation from the video referee. In F1 I remember Lewis Hamilton winning a race in 2008 and celebrating on the podium only to later have the win taken off him after officials reviewed the evidence and handed him a penalty.

Sucks but if you want the fair result to come about that's the price that it looks like we have to pay.

• The title was changed to 2017/18 FA Cup Fifth Round Match Chat - 16-19th February, 2018
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived