The better place to talk football.

2017/18 FA Cup Fifth Round Match Chat - 16-19th February, 2018

football forum

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Giroud involved in all 4 goals 

His involvement in goals is severely underrated. If you have runners in or around the box then he'll continually play them in with flicks and one-twos. Had a great relationship with Ramsey for that reason. You don't deserve this beautiful man.

• Subscriber

Made hard work of that but got the job done in the end. I do worry that it's going to be a feature of us for the rest of this season being unable to break down sides who park the bus. There's a real lack of creativity in our side, and no-one to really aim crosses at either now that we've gotten rid of both Slimani and Ulloa. It required some real quality to get us through that.

I just hope for the first time ever we get a decent quarter final draw. We never ever seem to make it past the quarters in any competition.

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Dan said:

Made hard work of that but got the job done in the end. I do worry that it's going to be a feature of us for the rest of this season being unable to break down sides who park the bus. There's a real lack of creativity in our side, and no-one to really aim crosses at either now that we've gotten rid of both Slimani and Ulloa. It required some real quality to get us through that.

I just hope for the first time ever we get a decent quarter final draw. We never ever seem to make it past the quarters in any competition.

We're getting Chelsea away and losing 5-2 again. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

We're getting Chelsea away and losing 5-2 again. 

I'll be gobsmacked if we dodge one of the top four. Time and time again we get to the quarters and time and time again it's our perish. We've had a good run this year though in fairness, and actually we've had 5 non-PL ties in a row in the FA Cup, with Everton being the last.

• Administrator
Just now, Dan said:

I'll be gobsmacked if we dodge one of the top four. Time and time again we get to the quarters and time and time again it's our perish. We've had a good run this year though in fairness, and actually we've had 5 non-PL ties in a row in the FA Cup, with Everton being the last.

Didn't realise that. 

It's either the above or Man City and that's the cup run over haha. Having said that if Man City are still in CL they may prioritise that. And we'd be able to put out a stronger squad than December's League  Cup tie.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Stan said:

Didn't realise that. 

It's either the above or Man City and that's the cup run over haha. Having said that if Man City are still in CL they may prioritise that. And we'd be able to put out a stronger squad than December's League  Cup tie.

We've got an unhealthy knack of it.

This season's League Cup, Man City.

League Cup 2013/14, Man City again.

FA Cup 2011/12, Chelsea.

FA Cup a few years ago when we had Blackburn.

Not to forget, of course, the Champions League.

It always seems to be the end for us. We haven't made a semi final in 18 years.

I wouldn’t exactly call it hard luck or say you were hard done by. If you’re going to get passed the quarters then it’s more than likely you’ll come across a decent team in the quarters or if not before. You can’t just hope to play shit.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

If you want to win the cup you have to beat the best. I'm struggling to understand how you expect to get an "easy" game so late in the competition?

that's not what's being said. Just that it'd be nice if the run wasn't halted by a bigger side like it has been for ages. Hence the desire to get further than QFs whoever we play. You'd rather face a lower-league side than Man Utd/Man City/Chelsea.

Especially with the competition blown wide open from the last couple of rounds with teams like Liverpool, yourselves and Arsenal going out. 

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

If you want to win the cup you have to beat the best. I'm struggling to understand how you expect to get an "easy" game so late in the competition?

You'll have to point out where I said I expect an easy tie.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Marc said:

I wouldn’t exactly call it hard luck or say you were hard done by. If you’re going to get passed the quarters then it’s more than likely you’ll come across a decent team in the quarters or if not before. You can’t just hope to play shit.

Where did I say it was bad luck?

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

But you're complaining about getting hard ties as if it's some mad luck that Leicester have (i.e - you expect that to change and get an easy tie).

I'm honestly not at all. I'm just saying we've got this weird knack of never getting past the quarters. I totally agree with both you and Marc that no-one should expect an easy tie, merely pointing out this often seems to be the end of our line, no matter what the competition (seriously, Champions League, or even JPT xD)

33 minutes ago, Dan said:

Where did I say it was bad luck?

You suggested it more than once

I just hope for the first time ever we get a decent quarter final draw.

I'll be gobsmacked if we dodge one of the top four. Time and time again we get to the quarters and time and time again it's our perish.

• Subscriber

I'm a bit torn. If we don't win it, I want one of the top sides to win it as it means Europe drops down to 7th, but if they go through it harms our own chances.

Although I'd rather win the cup than come 7th, but I think the cup would be harder.

• The title was changed to 2017/18 FA Cup Fifth Round Match Chat - 16-19th February, 2018
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived