talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Laptops & Notebooks

football forum

• Subscriber
49 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I use to have an MSI, spec is similar to the Dell I currently have, which is posted a few messages back. Have you had a gaming laptop before? Obviously they are fast as hell when surfing the Net and playing games, but it depends what you want it for. Reason I am replying is because you mentioned MSI which is for gaming, the Dell I have now is my 4th gaming laptop and I have noticed one reoccurring pattern with all 4. They get really hot mate, the current Dell I have has a double cooling system, the fans could blow a window open and the sound can be annoying. I really need a desk for it, when I am surfing sat on my bed, I can feel the heat from the laptop on my legs, and this heat is going through a duvet. So a desk will at least improve circulation as it allows the air to flow freely. 

I have heard that you can change fan setting through bios and stuff, but its at your own risk, and it does seem the fan blows, and it heats up when I am playing games. Typing this post, I can't hear the fan at all, and the heat has actually subsided. But if you play games you will notice the fan and heat.

So i generally play on desk, I run a laptop cooler with 3 fans underneath and one that connects to the exhaust vent on the back that sucks air out. It keeps it fairly decent overall but in general the games we play demand alot of computers these days. My first gaming laptop was a dell studio xps it was great while it lasted but they had some serious problems. However if you're just browsing the web and watching shows and whatnot it shouldnt heat up that bad from my experience. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

How high temperatures are we talking about here? At a +30 room temperature, my laptop's usually at around 45-50 degrees when I'm working or just browsing the net. I'm not much of a gamer, and when I play the games are usually the older ones (KOTOR, Sierra city building games, Civilization IV with the Caveman to Cosmos mod, FM17, Colin McRae Rally, etc.); the temperatures usually go up to 80-85 max.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

How high temperatures are we talking about here? At a +30 room temperature, my laptop's usually at around 45-50 degrees when I'm working or just browsing the net. I'm not much of a gamer, and when I play the games are usually the older ones (KOTOR, Sierra city building games, Civilization IV with the Caveman to Cosmos mod, FM17, Colin McRae Rally, etc.); the temperatures usually go up to 80-85 max.

This is what mine is currently running at and it's almost idle... 

xvt77.png

• Subscriber

The modern laptop design isn't really all that thermal efficient its why a lot of CPUs throttle and GFX combinations tend to generate heat only when gaming. I dont remember where I read it but wasnt it MSI who have this system where if the GFX isn't really needed it switches to the GPU and that takes load off the thermals as well? Either ways, if you're not pushing 87+ on a regular basis you'll be fine.

• Subscriber

Alright I have a PC question this time...

Got a new PC for my dad and I've been trying to connect it to a Samsung TV today but no luck so far. Tried a Displayport to HDMI adapter + a HDMI cable, a DVI/HDMI cable; both doesn't seem to work and I get a "no signal" on the TV. A friend is bringing his monitor a bit later to see if it works but does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be? :( All the cables/adapters are new; so is the computer. TV works fine with a regular HDMI cable from a laptop.

@Rab @Mel81x @Berserker @Viva la FCB @Bluewolf @MUFC @ anyone

Help :( 

• Subscriber
On 27/06/2019 at 18:33, Viva la FCB said:

I just upgraded my Ideapad Y510 maybe 6 months ago. It was my first lenovo product and my second ever laptop, I have nothing but good things to say about it. It actually ran perfectly fine still (maybe about 5/6 years old) but I had the chance to buy a used MSI laptop off my buddy for a pretty good deal and it was alot more up to date with a GTX970 and bigger screen and whatnot. Only complaint I really had about the Lenovo was it got pretty hot fairly quickly, alot of laptops if you're trying to run games off of do that though but this seemed abnormally hot. Anyways I gave it to my old man as he needed a new laptop anyways, still runs like a 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Got a new PC for my dad and I've been trying to connect it to a Samsung TV today but no luck so far. Tried a Displayport to HDMI adapter + a HDMI cable, a DVI/HDMI cable; both doesn't seem to work and I get a "no signal" on the TV. A friend is bringing his monitor a bit later to see if it works but does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be? :( All the cables/adapters are new; so is the computer. TV works fine with a regular HDMI cable from a laptop.

You gone through all the HDMI channels? Is the laptop on?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, MUFC said:

You gone through all the HDMI channels? Is the laptop on?

It's a PC not a laptop but yeah, it's definitely on hehe. Tried all the HDMI ports on the TV as well as both Displayports on the PC; still no signal... :( 

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, nudge said:

What make is the display adapter on the PC? Chances are its pushing out a resolution the TV wont accept. If the TV is a Full HDMI change it to 1920x1080 and change the refresh rate to 59Hz it might help. If the TV is a HD tv change the resolution to something x 720 and try again. 

If its a non-nVidia adapter id have to look up screenshots but a long long time ago I had a similar issue where the TV would not accept the refresh rate and would say no signal. I just changed the refresh rate and woosh everything started working. Its not like the TV is doing a 59Hz refresh but the clock on the adapter makes it think its working right.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

It's a PC not a laptop but yeah, it's definitely on hehe. Tried all the HDMI ports on the TV as well as both Displayports on the PC; still no signal... :( 

Is it a Smart TV?? or is it an older model?

24 minutes ago, nudge said:

Nevermind, just read that it is a PC.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

What make is the display adapter on the PC? Chances are its pushing out a resolution the TV wont accept. If the TV is a Full HDMI change it to 1920x1080 and change the refresh rate to 59Hz it might help. If the TV is a HD tv change the resolution to something x 720 and try again. 

If its a non-nVidia adapter id have to look up screenshots but a long long time ago I had a similar issue where the TV would not accept the refresh rate and would say no signal. I just changed the refresh rate and woosh everything started working. Its not like the TV is doing a 59Hz refresh but the clock on the adapter makes it think its working right.

It's just an integrated Intel HD graphics adapter... 

I'll try it out with the resolution changes and refresh rates. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Is it a Smart TV?? or is it an older model?

It's a Stupid TV for all I care ¬¬

Nah it's an older Samsung LCD TV with a 1366×768 resolution (so not smart and also not full HD)

3 minutes ago, Rab said:

Some laptops have a function on the keyboard where the external screen will only work once pressed. Could maybe try figuring that out.

It's a PC...not a laptop.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

Nah it's an older Samsung LCD TV with a 1366×768 resolution (so not smart and also not full HD)

I'd try what @Rab said except Extend the monitors dont use the secondary right away. Then go to the display settings on Windows, choose the second monitor (aka the TV) and change the resolution to 1366 x 768 till you get it to work with both the PC and the TV showing. Then when you know the TV is working just swap it back out to the second screen.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I'd try what @Rab said except Extend the monitors dont use the secondary right away. Then go to the display settings on Windows, choose the second monitor (aka the TV) and change the resolution to 1366 x 768 till you get it to work with both the PC and the TV showing. Then when you know the TV is working just swap it back out to the second screen.

Cheers; will try that once I get my hands on a monitor... A friend is bringing it in a few hours. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, MUFC said:

Don't connect the HDMI, turn the TV on and laptop on. Connect the HDMI when their both on, does anything happen?

Tried that; doesn't make any difference... :( Also turned off power saving on the TV as I read it might cause problems too; still nothing.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Getting close to it.

Well if that fails thats the extent of my troubleshooting...

Nah only thing I can really think to do is wait until you try and connect your friends screen and see what happens. Either outcome you have a better idea of where the problem lays.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Well if that fails thats the extent of my troubleshooting...

Nah only thing I can really think to do is wait until you try and connect your friends screen and see what happens. Either outcome you have a better idea of where the problem lays.

Ah so you also prefer the subtle approach to problem solving, I see xD 

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Getting close to it.

Sounds like me.... I expect to be able to buy things and just plug them in and everything should work... I don't need to be reading small ant sized instructions on how to get this or how to get that, or you need this cable or that cable blah blah blah... just work you bit of crap... I just don't have the patience for such things 

Image result for angry with computer gif

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Berserker said:

@nudge It would help if you listed the exact motherboard of the pc and the exact model of the TV.

I would, but we got drunk in the process so I have no idea 

Archived