Laptops & Notebooks

football forum

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Berserker said:

What a nice relationship you got with your father. ^_^

Haha it's me, my dad and my best friend whom I haven't seen for over a year and who brought his monitor with him... Just for us to realise that the PC has no VGA port so we can't test the monitor either xD so we just skipped the repair part and went straight to drinking xD

And yeah my dad is cool and so is our relationship 😊

6 hours ago, nudge said:

Alright I have a PC question this time...

Got a new PC for my dad and I've been trying to connect it to a Samsung TV today but no luck so far. Tried a Displayport to HDMI adapter + a HDMI cable, a DVI/HDMI cable; both doesn't seem to work and I get a "no signal" on the TV. A friend is bringing his monitor a bit later to see if it works but does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be? :( All the cables/adapters are new; so is the computer. TV works fine with a regular HDMI cable from a laptop.

@Rab @Mel81x @Berserker @Viva la FCB @Bluewolf @MUFC @ anyone

Help :( 

I just recently connected my laptop with the TV

Press Windows + P and choose extend display and than select the HDMI port on TV

• Subscriber

Problem solved.

(turns out all three of us are just complete idiots as we were connecting the TV to the motherboard instead of the GPU and it took us almost three days to realise that)  :ph34r:

• Subscriber
45 minutes ago, nudge said:

Problem solved.

(turns out all three of us are just complete idiots as we were connecting the TV to the motherboard instead of the GPU and it took us almost three days to realise that)  :ph34r:

20pfsv.jpg

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Problem solved.

Is this real life

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Problem solved.

Lets be honest, at least 2 of them days were probably spent being slightly inebriated so you can chalk them off 

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Lets be honest, at least 2 of them days were probably spent being slightly inebriated so you can chalk them off 

Well you're not wrong...initial evaluation required two crates of beer on Friday night, then we started the analysis with tequila on the beach for lunch on Saturday and then moved to the active search for solutions stage at an Irish pub in the evening with a vast range of resources (including long Island tea taken as shots, for whatever reason), and finished it all off with bloody maries back at my place until early morning hours today. 

Mission completed, the computer is working! xD

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, nudge said:

Well you're not wrong...initial evaluation required two crates of beer on Friday night, then we started the analysis with tequila on the beach for lunch on Saturday and then moved to the active search for solutions stage at an Irish pub in the evening with a vast range of resources (including long Island tea taken as shots, for whatever reason), and finished it all off with bloody maries back at my place until early morning hours today. 

Mission completed, the computer is working! xD

Im not gunna lie, this is the best troubleshooting of any problem Ive ever heard of.

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

My work just got me a Dell Vostro 7590 and it's a pretty excellent computer - kind of want one for my own personal use

I work for Dell, and they are nice computers, however they are a bit overkill for personal use. 

I use the XPS 13, for my home and it's mint. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

I work for Dell, and they are nice computers, however they are a bit overkill for personal use. 

I use the XPS 13, for my home and it's mint. 

Yeah it's massive overkill for what I use it for work too. But now I've got a nice graphics card and a fast processor for all of these excel sheets, so that's nice I guess. For personal use, I'd actually be getting some use out of that processor with me fucking around trying to record shite and learning about how music is produced by producing my own shitty little tracks xD - I'd probably put that graphics card to use too

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah it's massive overkill for what I use it for work too. But now I've got a nice graphics card and a fast processor for all of these excel sheets, so that's nice I guess. For personal use, I'd actually be getting some use out of that processor with me fucking around trying to record shite and learning about how music is produced by producing my own shitty little tracks xD - I'd probably put that graphics card to use too

Check out the XPS if you like Dell...they are the best laptops that run windows in the world (IMO). 

• Subscriber

Used to own Dell (Vostro and Inspiron) in the past; lovely laptops but it seems they can be a bit hit or miss sometimes as I know people who also had bad experience with them.

Then at some point I got a Lenovo ThinkPad and it's hands down the best laptop I ever had. Have never even considered a different one since then. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Used to own Dell (Vostro and Inspiron) in the past; lovely laptops but it seems they can be a bit hit or miss sometimes as I know people who also had bad experience with them.

Then at some point I got a Lenovo ThinkPad and it's hands down the best laptop I ever had. Have never even considered a different one since then. 

My last work computer was a ThinkPad. It was a good computer (it still is a good computer tbh, I've just come back into the office after some time away and used it the whole time I was away there's nothing wrong with it). But the specs on this Vostro they've just given me are absolutely insane compared to what the ThinkPad has. But I looked at the prices of the respective computers and the Vostro's over double what the latest version of my old work laptop  (which might be the same laptop for all I know).

Legitimately have no idea why they've decided to upgrade my computer, because all they've really done is give me this laptop I want to do a bunch of shite that I shouldn't be doing on a work computer.

I got a MacBook recently for home use (wanted it for recording shite)... but I had that for about a week before my fiancé basically swept in and claimed it for herself and now I never use that computer anymore xD

I've had my MacBook Pro since 2014 and it was a toss up between that and the XPS.

I hate Apple although their laptops are the best on the market. Never had a single issue, still going strong to this day and I still have all the "legacy" ports whereas all the new ones are all USB-C and shit.

11 minutes ago, Rab said:

I've had my MacBook Pro since 2014 and it was a toss up between that and the XPS.

I hate Apple although their laptops are the best on the market. Never had a single issue, still going strong to this day and I still have all the "legacy" ports whereas all the new ones are all USB-C and shit.

I hate that new all USB-C shite, having to buy an adapter after just buying a new laptop just so I could use the same shite I was planning on plugging into that new laptop was very annoying.

I don't particularly like Apple, although I like my phone and I'm sure it's useful having your computer and phone always in sync... but they're pretty much the best around for any sort of creative shite (which is why I bought it). But basically as soon as I got it, my fiancé was like "ooooh new computer" and has been the primary user pretty much the whole time. So it was basically an impulse buy for myself that turned into a gift for her, that I've got an expensive software program for xD

I find OSX pretty annoying though, so if I do end up buying myself another laptop any time soon... I'd probably rather go with the Dell as it'll be 1.) cheaper, 2.) running Windows. It'll have made my investment into Logic Pro X a complete waste though, so maybe I'll eventually just get myself a MacBook Pro.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hate that new all USB-C shite, having to buy an adapter after just buying a new laptop just so I could use the same shite I was planning on plugging into that new laptop was very annoying.

I don't particularly like Apple, although I like my phone and I'm sure it's useful having your computer and phone always in sync... but they're pretty much the best around for any sort of creative shite (which is why I bought it). But basically as soon as I got it, my fiancé was like "ooooh new computer" and has been the primary user pretty much the whole time. So it was basically an impulse buy for myself that turned into a gift for her, that I've got an expensive software program for xD

I find OSX pretty annoying though, so if I do end up buying myself another laptop any time soon... I'd probably rather go with the Dell as it'll be 1.) cheaper, 2.) running Windows. It'll have made my investment into Logic Pro X a complete waste though, so maybe I'll eventually just get myself a MacBook Pro.

OSX isn't all that bad honestly and congrats to your fiance on the macbook haha its just a matter of getting used to and nice that you got Logic Pro. I am in agreement with @nudge about Thinkpads I don't think I am ever shifting from it to Dell eventhough I think that XPS 13 is a work of art and probably one of the best developer/consumer laptops I have ever seen. When my current Thinkpad does stop working I'll just go out and get another one, they are that reliable and from what I am hearing the new X1 Extreme does have an upgrade path on the RAM and a secondary disk slot which for me makes it a no-brainer purchase.

• 1 year later...

Well, after 12 years of my white shelled Macbook, it's more or less at death's door as the battery is gone and only works when plugged to the mains (it doesn't charge at all). This is just ever so slightly a pain in the ass as I just bought a PS5 a couple of weeks ago. :dash3:

As I'm potentially looking to start a degree course in the near future, I'm going to need a new laptop. Preferably something that can do the basics (as in using Microsoft Office, use Pokerstars etc), but potentially play some games on it as well. Not intensive games like Battlefield or the likes, but something that can run general games, mainly your indie stuff on Steam and the likes of Football Manager. 

Any ideas? 

Just now, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Well, after 12 years of my white shelled Macbook, it's more or less at death's door as the battery is gone and only works when plugged to the mains (it doesn't charge at all). This is just ever so slightly a pain in the ass as I just bought a PS5 a couple of weeks ago. :dash3:

As I'm potentially looking to start a degree course in the near future, I'm going to need a new laptop. Preferably something that can do the basics (as in using Microsoft Office, use Pokerstars etc), but potentially play some games on it as well. Not intensive games like Battlefield or the likes, but something that can run general games, mainly your indie stuff on Steam and the likes of Football Manager. 

Any ideas? 

Massive first question is what's the budget?

Also, if you are thinking long term, I'd research a lot into webcams, as they have become vital nowadays.

9 minutes ago, Eco said:

Massive first question is what's the budget?

Also, if you are thinking long term, I'd research a lot into webcams, as they have become vital nowadays.

That probably would have helped in fairness. xD

I'm not looking too much overall, probably around the £400 mark (though that can be flexible).

If possible, I'd want to get it from Amazon. The reason for this is because I have about £200 in gift vouchers, so would reduce the cost by a fair amount (I know it's Amazon Prime Day next week as well). 

10 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

That probably would have helped in fairness. xD

I'm not looking too much overall, probably around the £400 mark (though that can be flexible).

If possible, I'd want to get it from Amazon. The reason for this is because I have about £200 in gift vouchers, so would reduce the cost by a fair amount (I know it's Amazon Prime Day next week as well). 

I think @nudge swears by Lenovo, so she might have some insight. I'm not great with non-apple computers, mainly because I've never bought one that I was pleased with (but I also don't play games online). I bought a Dell XPS 13 which is supposed to be the best of the best in the Windows world, and the webcam is worse than old flip phones, and now it's just a wasted paperweight.

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Any ideas? 

8 minutes ago, Eco said:

I think @nudge swears by Lenovo, so she might have some insight. I'm not great with non-apple computers, mainly because I've never bought one that I was pleased with (but I also don't play games online). I bought a Dell XPS 13 which is supposed to be the best of the best in the Windows world, and the webcam is worse than old flip phones, and now it's just a wasted paperweight.

Yeah, I love Lenovo, but only their ThinkPad series. Best bang for your buck, imo. Great functionality & ergonomics, very durable, not too expernsive, and has easily the best laptop keyboard (at least in older models). Can't tell anything about their webcams though, as I don't ever use it and disable it right after buying the laptop. As for games - I could easily run FM on my 9 year old ThinkPad x230 with the i5 processor, except last year's one (my graphic card was not supported in that version), as well as tons of other (older) games - but then I mostly play strategy, sim and city-building games with no crazy GPU requirements. 

I had a good experience with Dell in the past, but they appear to be quite a bit hit & miss.

Whatever you do, don't buy an HP. 

2 hours ago, Eco said:

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Yeah, I love Lenovo, but only their ThinkPad series. Best bang for your buck, imo. Great functionality & ergonomics, very durable, not too expernsive, and has easily the best laptop keyboard (at least in older models). Can't tell anything about their webcams though, as I don't ever use it and disable it right after buying the laptop. As for games - I could easily run FM on my 9 year old ThinkPad x230 with the i5 processor, except last year's one (my graphic card was not supported in that version), as well as tons of other (older) games - but then I mostly play strategy, sim and city-building games with no crazy GPU requirements. 

I had a good experience with Dell in the past, but they appear to be quite a bit hit & miss.

Whatever you do, don't buy an HP. 

Cheers for this. What I highlighted in bold is basically the sort of games I would likely play as well at best (those and some of the indie games on something like Steam that I either can't get on console or play better on PC, like Two Point Hospital), so not needing anything spectacular really. Just something that can do the job. 

In regards to HP, I think that was the only PC I had which basically collapsed and died on me in a year when I got one years ago, so don't worry about that. xD

I'll keep an eye on Lenovo laptops though. The webcam in all honesty is not a huge issue as I barely used it on the Macbook. 

Just seen the Amazon Prime Day discounts on laptops and not sure what to make of them really (haven't had a proper chance to look into them more). 

Any of these in the link stand out that aren't ridiculously pricey (I know I said £400, but that can be flexible if any particularly stand out)? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/deal/c2cab8b3?showVariations=true&ref=deals_primeday_deals-grid_slot-6_4951_mw_dcell_img_3_c2cab8b3

Don't think Huawei's a good idea mind. xD

Archived