talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2017/18 - 17-19th February, 2018

football forum

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just caught up on all the results from yesterday and watched the highlights.

Looks like Preston done well to remain competitive with Wolves given their superiority over everybody. I think the sending off for the two yellows for John Walsh sending off fair regardless of how easily the Wolves player went down. You could do by his reaction to the second yellow what his intention was and that there was contact. If Preston could turn some of their draws in to wins they'd be a really good outfit at this level.

Fulham looked great going forward against Villa with some of the link up play involving Sessegnon, Ayite and Mitrovic. They really caught Villa off guard with their quick play and confidence. It looks like Fulham could have won by more too if they could convert more chances. How Ayite missed that header after scoring from 42 yards is a mystery. 

It looks like there Christmas form is now a distant memory for Cardiff City. They did really well to play with a structure and restrict 'Boro to very little chances. They seem to do the basics very well in an era where there's an obsession for unusual tactics.

Down the bottom it looks like QPR are pretty much safe with that win against Bolton. They did look boring and uninspiring up until the sending off but Matt Smith deserves credit for all the problems he caused. The fixture against Sunderland on Tuesday is now a huge game for Bolton.

Burton Albion now doubt would have taken a draw against Nottingham Forest at kick off given their current position, however with the sending off you have to say this was a great opportunity to pick up three points. They seem to have a lot of fight but they just can't convert chances. I'm not sure I agree with how highly Karanka spoke of his players. If that's what he calls 'brilliant' then it doesn't exactly scream that this will be an exciting era for Nottingham Forest. 

I thinks it's fair to say that 'Bristanbul' did absolutely nothing for Sunderland. Don't get me wrong, Brentford do play a very pleasing style of football, but they didn't seem to need to work hard to get a result against a half-hearted team. Just hearing Chris Coleman after the match talking about negativity, grief, frustration, panic and lack of cohesion shows why nobody respects them.

Oh, and the last thing to comment is that i'm not surprised Steve Correrill still sounds like a bellend. 'The better team lost the game'.  The same 'better team' that didn't have a shot until injury time, Steve? Millwall should have won by more.

We're having some terrible luck at the moment. How Lasogga's header didn't go in at the death there is beyond me. Of course it would smack the bar.

Felt we let Bristol City off the hook there. We finished the game well whilst they looked at panic stations. Not too happy with a point really. Does nothing for us. But at least there was a bit of fighting spirit.

First half was abysmal. The goals we conceded...well...Sunday league. That's all I'm going to say.

Don't think they will be too happy letting another lead slip either but the our crowd changed that game. They can be our best and worst enemy at times and we saw a mix of that today but when they raise it, sometimes they suck the ball into the net and there's not a lot of sides that have that kind of advantage.

Ipswich/Norwich was a pretty uninspiring game until the Ipswich goal. A couple of things worth commentating:

- I couldn't decide if Angus Gunn had a good game or not. His shot stopping was good but he fumbled a lot of things and his distribution at times seemed poor. 

- I wonder if Bilalkowski gets a dramatic save bonus for every dramatic save he makes.

- You can tell Maddison is a class act. Quick movement, good technique and gave Ipswich no option other than to bring him down in areas he could score free kicks from. 

- I think a loss would have been harsh of Norwich given the possssion they had in the second half along with the pressure they put Ipswich under. Ipswich won the first half, Norwich won the second half, I think a draw was a fair result.

Haha I can't believe how much hope we gave them to win their cup final, brilliant. McCarthy telling the ipswich fans to fuck off was a highlight too, what on earth was he thinking?!

Obviously Bilalkowski had a mare for the goal, but how well did Hanley do? fantastic. Maddison very good again (every time we play on TV he gets MOTM,ffs). I agree about Gunn, I've heard a few neutrals say he looked really good but I actually thought he wasn't as good as his normal very high standards. His feet and distribution is normally superb, which would be one of the reasons Pep rates him so highly, but yesterday he looked a bit shaky. He's very good though, if he continues to get senior games instead of sitting on the bench for City I believe he could play for England. A mention for Jamal Lewis too, so composed. Looks like he's been playing senior football for years, he made his debut in December.

Typical McCarthy longball yesterday, but the diving was also outrageous. They should've had at least 2 booked for diving. Garner is a cunt.

As good as the late goal was, it's another home game without 3 points. Our home form baffles me.

Oh and Oliveira is so frustrating. I'd love to see a graphic of his shots this season and where they are taken from. For me he seems to make so many bad decisions, doesn't play the easy pass and shoots far too often from 30+ yards out and never fucking scores. 

Another season undefeated in the derby, next year will be 10 years. 

Fucking loved Klose's celebration.

• The topic was unpinned

Pretty routine win at home to Bury on Monday night. We weren't at our best at all, but we did enough to win and for once didn't make any silly mistakes in defence. Dack was very good once again and nice to see Armstrong get another goal - that is now 4 goals in his last 3 games. Our bench was really strong too with some quality players returning from injury. Really looking forward to the run in now.

Archived