talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tuesday 20th February - Chelsea 1-1 Barcelona (1st Leg)

football forum

Chelsea vs Barcelona  

7 members have voted

1. 1. The Result

2. 2. First Goalscorer

• Eden Hazard
    • Alvaro Morata
    • Lionel Messi
    • Luis Suarez
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Administrator

Kick-off 19.45

Info
The last time these 2 sides met in the Champions League, Fernando Torres scored a memorable goal in the away leg to ensure Chelsea won 3-2 on aggregate. 
In the 12 times they've played each other in the competition, 35 goals have been scored. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3-5-2 could just end up with us being pressed and pinned in and has the potential to be bleak to watch from our point of view, the same could happen with the 3-4-3 but it gives us more variety and options with build up play and transitions. At the same time no matter how we play or set up I can see Barca giving us more space to exploit on the counter and more opportunities in general.

Two players I think that could help us a lot tomorrow are out, Bakayoko and Luiz.

I have no problems with us playing defensively (which is something that's worked well for us in the past in this competition) as long as we're still an attacking threat. We simply can't sit deep for long periods tomorrow night, more often and not this is caused by the opposition but it's essential we're clever enough to manage these periods and find solutions to get up the pitch. If this happens tomorrow night and we're caught sitting deep for too long I'm going to go mental, Arsenal away second half in the cup was one of the most frustrating things to watch. For fuck sake, be brave and push up the pitch, don't let Barcelona control the game. We need to take the initiative tomorrow, sitting deep etc is fine if it's for short periods but for the most part we need to take the initiative tomorrow night. Managing this situation is going to be where the game is won or lost from our point of view.

Very interested to see how this pans out tactically, avoiding an away goal would be a massive boost. Because of my work situation in Spain (I teach in the evenings) I'm going to miss the first half as is usual for me if any game is played mid-week, will get in the bar at half time. Anyway I'm nervous.

Barca are rightly favourites to go through.

We can sit back and hope for a good counter with 3-5-2 but if we do it for 90 minutes we will lose. Think the 3-4-3 is a bit too open for an attacking side like Barcelona, no clue what to expect really. They aren't unbeatable and we aren't no where near the best we can be. However hope the big stage brings out the best out of them all and we at least perform well. If we win home no matter by which result i will get my hopes high. Hell even a goalless draw wouldn't be bad (no way it will be goalless), however any active result would be okay. We never won at the Nou Camp and Barcelona managed a single win at the Bridge out of 15 games we ever played. Think Christensen might struggle against the likes of Suarez who is World Class but also a dirty player who is a constant threat. I wouldn't mind Conte to start Giroud as well, he is very physical and adapted well to our system because he is the type of striker that Conte loves. If Alonso isn't fit i'd definitely start Emerson as even tough it was only Hull City he was excellent.

I'd go with

-----------------------------------------------Courtois--------------------------------------------------

Azpilicueta--------------------------Christensen------------------------------------Rudiger

Moses----------Drinkwater--------Kante--------Fabregas---------------------Alonso

----------------------------------------------Hazard----------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------Morata----------------------------------------------------

Yeah mate it's been playing in my head for a while what system to play, see the drawbacks of both.

The Arsenal 2nd leg in the cup, we need to see more the performance of the first half tactically rather than the second, to use the cliche that was truly a game of two halves.

I would be more comfortable with the 3-4-3 for this game if Bakayoko and Luiz were available to play alongside Kante. Then again the 3-4-3 gives us a much better platform to press high up the pitch.

I wouldn't be for the option sit and wait until they score a few and then open up. Play to win from the start, in games like these little elements get win. We have to have our back line on the very top tomorrow night, if not i fear things could be done in the first leg. Also i feel it will be crucial to get the first goal, for the motivation and for the performance. A top Chelsea performance tomorrow required anything bellow that and we won't get much from this. Also Barcelona are heavy favorites for this one which could be great for us in a way. Agreed on Bakayoko too but in his current state of mind when your our fans slag you on the social media and certain fans boo your wrong passes doubt he would have a good game.

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

Yeah mate it's been playing in my head for a while what system to play, see the drawbacks of both.

The Arsenal 2nd leg in the cup, we need to see more the performance of the first half tactically rather than the second, to use the cliche that was truly a game of two halves.

I would be more comfortable with the 3-4-3 for this game if Bakayoko and Luiz were available to play alongside Kante. Then again the 3-4-3 gives us a much better platform to press high up the pitch.

What's difficult about this is that under our spine of Cech, Terry, Lampard, and Drogba, we knew that they would make the game closer than it should despite the gulf in class. With this current bunch, it's hard to say how it will go. 

Me personally, I'd stick with the 3-5-2, but Willian in midfield instead of Cesc. You look at Barca's midfield and it doesn't really scream pace with the likes of Busquest, Iniesta, and Rakitic. Giroud ahead of Morata for me as well, as you just have to look at what a 34 year old Drogba did and the damage he caused Barca both legs with his hold up play. 

Giroud-----Hazard

Willian

Emerson-----Drinkwater----Kante----Moses

Rudiger---Courtois---Azpilicueta

Courtois 

Hope for the best, and if we do lose that there is zero controversy. 

• The title was changed to Tuesday 20th February - Chelsea vs Barcelona (1st Leg)

IMG_0909.thumb.JPG.f207b7d47dbca93d9f110

Hazard as a false 9 and Cesc in a two man midfield. Possibly the two worst methods based on our system, both being implemented tonight.

Really can't comprehend as to why a striker isn't on the pitch for us. 

Zero optimism after seeing that and very dissapointed. Going to be a long night and a very tough shift for Kante.  I'm out lads, i'll post after the match! 

• The title was changed to Tuesday 20th February - Chelsea 1-1 Barcelona (1st Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived