talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tuesday 20th February - Chelsea 1-1 Barcelona (1st Leg)

football forum

Chelsea vs Barcelona  

7 members have voted

1. 1. The Result

2. 2. First Goalscorer

• Eden Hazard
    • Alvaro Morata
    • Lionel Messi
    • Luis Suarez
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Kinda disappointed  that Messi scored. Not because I'm a Chelsea fsn but because it was a fun little story that he had never scored against Chelsea. Little bits like that add drama

Couldn't have made it easier for him either. 

I can't pick too much with Conte in retrospect, Chelsea have been the more threatenig side but it feels like a missed chance.

1 minute ago, 6666 said:

Chelsea did better than many expected and they deserve credit for that but Barcelona going into the second leg at home with a slight advantage where you'd have to expect them to sew the tie up.

Agreed, 

Fair play, the team done a lot better than I thought they would given the set up but it was a defensive style that limited what chances we might have created and in fairness we nearly pulled off the win. It was always going to be an ask not to concede against Barcelona but we did a good job overall and on another night and with a little more luck we could have walked away 3-1 winners. As it stands 1-1 is not a disaster but that one away goal is going to make the difference in the return leg. Having said that if we go more attacking and can get an away goal then its another game altogether. 

I just think Barca will have too much for us over both legs but as it stands its still up in the air.. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Christensen gave Barcelona such a gift. His distribution was shit all day. And with that one mistake, he basically pissed away all of Chelsea's hard work.

I wouldn't blame him for making one error against one of the best attacking sides in the world even if it did cost us a goal... 

• The title was changed to Tuesday 20th February - Chelsea 1-1 Barcelona (1st Leg)
Just now, Bluewolf said:

I wouldn't blame him for making one error against one of the best attacking sides in world even if it did cost us a goal... 

Not saying he's a bad player, nor is he solely to blame (Azpi-cuelledajfewataffa also fucked up). He's probably the future of your defense, tbh, he's been great all year.

But truly awful from him right there.

Messi was really the only creative spark for Barcelona, with Iniesta also having a moment or two looking dangerous. But when Chelsea were deep, Messi was the only one who could create gaps. 

You'd think Dembele would have to play in the 2nd leg. 

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

He made an awful pass in the first half too when he gave away a corner, his distribution as you say was poor all night.

xD

When he came out at half time I don't think his shirt was tucked in properly either so why not pile that on him as well.... A 21 year old playing on a huge night against a veteran predator of the game surrounded by world class players I think we can afford him a bit of leeway... 

40 minutes ago, Blue said:

Of bloody course I say that and he scores, although throught the 90 minutes I still feel like I have a point.

Well, he played even worse against Chelsea away in 2012 and also in 2009. It's a team that he's never really played great against, apart from in the first few games against them as a kid when he gave them the run around. I'm not sure if it's the best version of Messi that we are seeing this season, but he's evolved massively, completely changed his role and it's enabled him to continue being a player who makes a team tick and lead them to victory, most great players of Messi's type of mould are usually finished by the age he is now, yet he continues to evolve his game. He's still the player who makes the real difference, especially when it comes to his passing and ability to dictate the tempo of a game. Without it over the course of the season(I'm not speaking of tonight), the team wouldn't tick the same. Whether he's better or worse than before, over the past 4 years he has had a far greater importance overall. Go and watch the last 2 league game clasicos for examples.

To be fair I wouldn't say Messi played well tonight and from an attacking perspective, nobody really did when speaking of the away team. I thought the team played far too cautiously, although that could well pay off in the end if this away goal is what makes the difference. If Barcelona are to eliminate Chelsea, then it was never going to be at Stamford Bridge anyway, it's Camp Nou where it would happen. Tonight was about scoring and not losing as far as I'm concerned, as I expected Chelsea to win going off past encounters between the two teams.

Good result. I don't think Valverde's Barcelona is the most exciting of Barcelona sides I've seen by a long shot, but in terms of effectiveness it's been right up there so far this season.

I'l take that result, a clean sheet would of been wonderful. As Dodger pointed out, we really shouldn't fear this Barca side all that much, as they can be there for the taking. 

Going to the Nou Camp needing a goal will make things a lot more interesting. Especially seeing if Barca protect their lead or try and kill the game to which we can expose on the counter. 

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Chelsea were good no doubt about that but Barcelona were better overall without making too many chances though.

But this game can be told in one single word... MESSI!

Finally he can get rid of that old name MISSY! now he has finally got a goal against us... 

20 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Well, he played even worse against Chelsea away in 2012 and also in 2009. It's a team that he's never really played great against, apart from in the first few games against them as a kid when he gave them the run around. I'm not sure if it's the best version of Messi that we are seeing this season, but he's evolved massively, completely changed his role and it's enabled him to continue being a player who makes a team tick and lead them to victory, most great players of Messi's type of mould are usually finished by the age he is now, yet he continues to evolve his game. He's still the player who makes the real difference, especially when it comes to his passing and ability to dictate the tempo of a game. Without it over the course of the season(I'm not speaking of tonight), the team wouldn't tick the same. Whether he's better or worse than before, over the past 4 years he has had a far greater importance overall. Go and watch the last 2 league game clasicos for examples.

To be fair I wouldn't say Messi played well tonight and from an attacking perspective, nobody really did when speaking of the away team. I thought the team played far too cautiously, although that could well pay off in the end if this away goal is what makes the difference. If Barcelona are to eliminate Chelsea, then it was never going to be at Stamford Bridge anyway, it's Camp Nou where it would happen. Tonight was about scoring and not losing as far as I'm concerned, as I expected Chelsea to win going off past encounters between the two teams.

Good result. I don't think Valverde's Barcelona is the most exciting of Barcelona sides I've seen by a long shot, but in terms of effectiveness it's been right up there so far this season.

Ernesto Valverde apparently told one of the Mundo Deportivo journalists (Francesc Aguilar) that he’d take a defeat by one goal (at worst) at Stamford Bridge providing his team scored. Well Barcelona didn’t win in West London today but they went one better than his worst fears.

All the same, at 1-1and for all of Barcelona’s dominance at home, nothing is certain and the tie is open. Im sure Antonio Conte will have his side ready for the return leg although Valverde isn’t your traditional Barcelona coach and his defence tactics have been spot on all season and playing differently in every single game by respecting what the next rival has to offer. 

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Chelsea were good no doubt about that but Barcelona were better overall without making too many chances though.

But this game can be told in one single word... MESSI!

It was a good tactical battle and was always going to be a tight and edgy affair, but for me Barcelona were too cautious at times as there were situations in which being a bit risky could have resulted in there being more chances created. On the flip side though, this could have also led to more Chelsea counters.

As we've said this season, Valverde knows what he's doing and how to set out his team for each game that comes around.

Chelsea can consider themselves unlucky but if they score over in Barcelona, they will really frighten the home team.

I think Chelsea have to play a recognised striker over there. They are going to need a Morata or Giroud as an outlet to try win the ball, hold the ball up and wait for support on the counter. Can't go how they went tonight for me because they will almost certainly lose.

39 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It was a good tactical battle and was always going to be a tight and edgy affair, but for me Barcelona were too cautious at times as there were situations in which being a bit risky could have resulted in there being more chances created. On the flip side though, this could have also led to more Chelsea counters.

As we've said this season, Valverde knows what he's doing and how to set out his team for each game that comes around.

It was a very tactical battle to be honest. Tactical in the sense that both coaches designed the game tonight for each other’s weaknesses and that’s a new situation where Barcelona are concerned.  Under Guardiola who is a very tactical coach, they just aimed to polish his philosophy game after game.  If ever Guardiola fell against anyone it wasn’t because he had failed to find a remedy for the opposition but because the team hadn’t translated what he wanted well enough. Whenever anyone played against Pep’s Barça, it was about the rival changing the way they played to look to gain an advantage.  With Luis Enrique it was more tactical but it was too fanatical from his part and so extreme that it was almost like living in a concentration camp from listening to some players after he called it a day.

But Ernesto Valverde is different!  He is tactical, very tactical, but in a way that’s focused on who the team will be playing.  He doesn’t care whether it’s Real Madrid or Leganés... The game will be designed around who they’re facing which was seen today against Chelsea. There was no way Barça were going to be just happy go Larry attack minded in their traditional sense because Valverde KNEW that Conte would happily play counter attacking football at home and couldn’t give a damn what anyone thinks about giving the possession protagonism to the opponent in this case.  But Valverde didn’t play a game that allowed for a counter system apart from the obvious moments when that can occur like it does every given Saturday or Sunday against anyone.  He wanted to grind down a good team and keep any moments of home domination to a limit which is what occurred. Chelsea had those moments, but that’s to be expected. Chelsea also scored but because it was only one goal with time left, the team didn’t get frustrated because they’re naturally of an attacking mentality... They kept to the plan and the moment arrived which was a consequence of the grinding down of the majority dominance (although without having had too many clear opportunities).

It’s almost maths on grass with Conte and Valverde.

Unimpressive Barcelona performance, in my opinion. They had the ball possession but it was sterile, Rakitic and Paulinho were really poor and Messi was overloaded, having to create most plays by himself in an area way too far from the opposing goal. Anyway, nice result for them, and great job by Iniesta on the high pressing.  Barça could really use a Dembélé in form in return match though. 

As for Chelsea, they executed Conte´s plan really well for most of the match. For all his difficulty personality, he is an excellent tactician and it showed today. Kanté and Willian were excellent.

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I'm not basing it on just this game, I am basing it on the games I've seen of Barca this season. He's good but he's not the best version of Messi, not even close. That was 2010, 2011 and 2015.

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm not basing it on just this game, I am basing it on the games I've seen of Barca this season. He's good but he's not the best version of Messi, not even close. That was 2010, 2011 and 2015.

Considering you rate Neymar so highly I understand how you think and it’s correct under that understanding.  But Messi is better than he’s ever been... Messi isn’t a ball juggler anymore and doesn’t have to rely on scoring almost 100 goals a year like he used to. He is now an all round footballer, a complete footballer and a master of most football crafts. You’ve never seen anyone better, nobody here has and you should just sit back and enjoy it if it’s possible and stop analysing something you or any of us have no understanding about.

Just limit it to adjectives about how good he is. ;)

Busquets had a class game and was arguably Barcelona's best player but Paulinho was a weak point. He's had a good season, although as I've mentioned before, I see him as a player who suits certain games but not others and a game like tonight was one of latter. 

I'm off to bed now either way and I will come back to this tomorrow. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived