SirBalon's: Knowing Men's Fashion Trends

football forum

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Danny said:

Horrifying is a better description mate

xD

To be honest that colour is probably the most difficult to match with your usual options above your feet.  But these days conflicting colours seem to be something chosen by your twenty-somethings.

To be honest it's all about age with these things as for example in my case as a 40 something those types of Adidas trainers don't suit me as well as your typical dad trainers which are your New Balance or Nike Internationals.

Above all else with fashion it's what you feel comfortable in because like everything, it's a state of emotions which drives humans to feeling confident.

• 1 month later...

Henry-Hales-Sir-Plus.jpg?fit=620,382

Henry Hales

and the story of

SIR PLUS

The world has heard of SirBalon but let me tell you guys of the story of another unsuspecting Knight of the Realm in the shape of Henry Hales who with hard work and a vision turned into SirPlus...

I met him yesterday through a friend at work who is in the fashion industry and he told me he had a very interesting individual he was going to be speaking to for a piece he was writing.  I won't go into everything (extremely interesting) I listened to because I don't want to undermine the work my friend is doing so I've just taken Henry Hales' story from his website which is interesting enough although doesn't tell half the story as you can imagine.  A very very very nice guy is Henry Hales!

Sir Plus is founded by Henry Hales. While plotting to take over the men’s underwear market, Henry leads to a chance discovery: that shirt-makers often end up with a surplus of fabric, not enough to make a shirt but plenty for a few pairs of boxers. Said fabric is snapped up, boxer shorts are made, and a pun-tastic name is given.

21jpg-1537354027797.jpg

Sir Plus meets the world! Henry moves to London armed with suitcases of boxers, and heads straight for east London’s Spitalfields market sure of success. On day one, his takings total £0. Day one is a fluke as it turns out, Henry soon makes the pilgrimage west to Portobello, and word of mouth begins to spread.

1jpeg-1537353774162.jpeg

The Sir Plus website launches, complete with questionable cabbage logo. Years later and we're still asked about the reasoning behind this – the simple answer is that cabbage is industry-speak for surplus. As for the top hat – we’ll get back to you.

32jpg-1537458790216.jpg

From boxer shorts, the logical next step is, of course, formal waistcoats. Made from surplus and fitted in Henry's front room (a spacious east London studio is still a few years away at this point), they quickly grow in popularity. Nehru waistcoats come next, kick-starting a collarless complex still evident today.

42jpg-1537458987375.jpg

An upgrade, from trestle table to custom-built market cart. By now Sir Plus is a regular fixture on Portobello Market, with a regular spot outside of No. 306A.

51jpg-1537459366660.jpg

Our first magazine cover. A lesser-known tennis player is drafted in to wear our Nehru jacket, but of course, the focus is firmly on Sir Plus.

61jpg-1537356485195.jpg

The shop on wheels arrives: a custom-built, state-of-the-art rolling store, made possible due to the massive generosity of friends and family. Over £19,000 is raised via a Kickstarter, which remains humbling to this day. A huge thank you continues to go out to each and every one of the 166 who contributed.

81jpg-1537461495983.jpg

Our distribution centre opens, allowing us to pick, pack and post orders faster than ever before. Never again will Henry get stuck on a lawn while hand-delivering a package, disturbing a rather grand Christmas party in the process. Orders are now expertly shipped anywhere in the world within four days, with next working day delivery available throughout the UK.

05_sirplus331jpg-1537357181884.jpg

November 2017
We're handed the keys to 306A Portobello Road, after years of pitching on the market directly in front. It's a small, unassuming place, but one with more than enough room for our full collection which by now includes jackets, trousers, coats, knitwear and more.

81jpg-1537481634769.jpg

February 2018
The team behind Brooklyn Flea Market, New York's answer to Portobello, invite Sir Plus to join them for a one-off weekend. While there, we also run a special trunk show with our friends Turnbull & Asser. The special relationship is forged as we introduce our American cousins to the Nehru collar and grandad shirt.

91jpg-1537359039675.jpg

September 2018
49 Camden Passage in Islington opens its doors. Five miles east and ever so slightly north of Portobello, it's a bright and spacious store which counts among its neighbours a delectable Austrian cafe, an uproarious comedy club, and on Wednesdays and Saturdays a brilliant antiques market.

camdenjpg-1537364314861.jpg

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

How much do the boxers cost? I'm expecting you to say about £500. Anything less and I'd be disappointed. 

Hahaha

More or less your Calvin Klein prices which range between £25 to £30. Not bad for quality!

• Administrator
Just now, SirBalon said:

Hahaha

!ore or less your Calvin Klein prices which range between £25 to £30. Not bad for quality!

Goes back to other debates we've had where you can get equal quality for less :/ 

Just now, Stan said:

Goes back to other debates we've had where you can get equal quality for less :/ 

Doubt that very much where less is concerned (price).  You can get decent stuff but not this meticulous care for what you're purchasing.

Just now, Panna King said:

@SirBalon

I am going out tonight tonight with Mrs Pannaking

I am thinking of a Smart Casual what do you think?

full.jpg

Very Spanish that!

Love the sand boots especially with the indigo blues contrasting with pure white being a winner.  You could be going back home with more than just Mrs Pannaking! xD

2 minutes ago, Panna King said:

I have similar ones, these are the ones i have which are identical. 

https://www.frankwrightshoes.com/boots-c2/tobacco-bowmore-suede-lace-up-boot-frank-wright-p500

Those are nice but they're not the same mate.  The ones in the picture are triple eyelet laced which is odd for sand boots and give them a more rustic look. Typical sand boots like the ones you have shown me as I have are double eyelet which are still great.

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Those are nice but they're not the same mate.  The ones in the picture are triple eyelet laced which is odd for sand boots and give them a more rustic look. Typical sand boots like the ones you have shown me as I have are double eyelet which are still great.

These are the ones in the picture

https://www.asos.com/new-look/new-look-desert-boot-in-stone/prd/7120794

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Very Spanish that!

Love the sand boots especially with the indigo blues contrasting with pure white being a winner.  You could be going back home with more than just Mrs Pannaking! xD

You mean you, don't you?!

Archived