talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cooking

football forum

• Subscriber

Does anyone have any fun vegan recipes? I’m not vegan and I never could be, but a femme fatale is, so every now and then I’ll rustle up a decent vegan meal. Made a great butternut squash vindaloo last week.

Curry type meals are easy and tasty but I want something different than just a veg, saucy curry type dish. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Does anyone have any fun vegan recipes? I’m not vegan and I never could be, but a femme fatale is, so every now and then I’ll rustle up a decent vegan meal. Made a great butternut squash vindaloo last week.

Curry type meals are easy and tasty but I want something different than just a veg, saucy curry type dish. 

Cauliflower steaks with Chimichurri. I'm not a vegan either, but I absolutely love it, and it's something different from your typical veggie stir fry or curry...

• Like 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Cauliflower steaks with Chimichurri. I'm not a vegan either, but I absolutely love it, and it's something different from your typical veggie stir fry or curry...

Cheers nudge. Quick google and it sounds nice. Any recipes you follow? And what would you have with it? Sides etc  

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Cheers nudge. Quick google and it sounds nice. Any recipes you follow? And what would you have with it? Sides etc  

I use this for the chimichurri, but adjust it slightly to my taste: https://cafedelites.com/authentic-chimichurri-uruguay-argentina/#recipe . I use less oil, add some fresh lemon juice, and prefer using fresh oregano instead of dried.

As for the cauliflower steaks, I don't really have or follow any recipe... Just cut it carefully into rather thick slices so it doesn't break, use your favourite seasoning/marinade, then roast it in the oven or fry it in the skillet, baste it in butter with herbs... I usually have it with sauteed mushrooms and roasted baby potatoes...

• Upvote 2

Or just search for a vegan recipe on Youtube. There's plenty of channels devoted to the vegan cuisine these days. And yea, mushrooms are definitely a good way for a vegan dish. You can use them as a meat substitute for many things. Burgers etc. 

There's plenty of vegan soups too, that are simple but very tasty. 

• Upvote 1

Look for recipes that are inherently vegan instead of looking for meat substitutions. For instance it is very easy to make curry and stir fry vegan, these dishes don't really need to have meat or animal products in them. Why does a vindaloo need lamb or goat? The curry gravy tastes phenomenal just with rice, and even better with naan, popadoms, and whatever. Then there a dishes like ratatouille, you can make kababs with falafel, hummus, tzatziki, tabbouleh, baba ghanoush. You have to break out of the mindset of meat-> meat substitute. You could make a gallo pinto with a home made salsa verde, and tortillas. So many options.

@JoshBRFC

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Look for recipes that are inherently vegan instead of looking for meat substitutions. For instance it is very easy to make curry and stir fry vegan, these dishes don't really need to have meat or animal products in them. Why does a vindaloo need lamb or goat? The curry gravy tastes phenomenal just with rice, and even better with naan, popadoms, and whatever. Then there a dishes like ratatouille, you can make kababs with falafel, hummus, tzatziki, tabbouleh, baba ghanoush. You have to break out of the mindset of meat-> meat substitute. You could make a gallo pinto with a home made salsa verde, and tortillas. So many options.

@JoshBRFC

Because vegan "meat substitutes" are not inherently vegan?

The flavours are inherently not vegan, they are emulating meat, not all vegans are into that, specifically the idea that the food is plant based but it is imitating meat can be very off putting, many people choose veganism from a moral view point so why would they consume a product that is imitation murder? A hamburger with an impossible patty is not inherently vegan it is still based on the concept of meat consumption, it still imitates meat consumption and some people can't divorce the concept of meat from something that is based on meat. The development of impossible meat products used animal testing to taste control so for some people they don't qualify as vegan as their development is directly linked to meat consumption.

Why make vegan impersonation of a meat dish when foods that never even used animal products can be cooked? For a lot of people there is a huge difference between ratatouille which never has any animal products versus a hamburger using impossible meat; even if both recipes have zero animal products used.

Edited by Spike

• 2 weeks later...

Made Veggie Kebab tonight.

I used soy curls as a meat substitute. I was curious to try it, and I was positively surprised. Unseasoned it tastes like nothing, once you marinate it, it really takes on the flavour. The texture after cooking and then frying it was really nice as well. Very chicken-like. 

kebab.jpg

• Like 1

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, MUFC said:

What do you lot put in your omelette? I just put in a touch of salt and spoon of chilli powder.

Depends, normally the wife makes it with cheese but also can make it with cheese,bacon and mushrooms, I let her do the omelette's as she is a better cook than me, also with chips.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, MUFC said:

What do you lot put in your omelette? I just put in a touch of salt and spoon of chilli powder.

Tomato, fresh chili, sometimes bell pepper. I also like to top it with some feta, if I'm feeling fancy. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Tomato, fresh chili, sometimes bell pepper. I also like to top it with some feta, if I'm feeling fancy. 

Feta in an Omelette can be really nice. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Feta in an Omelette can be really nice. 

Yes! I normally don't like regular cheese in an omelette, but feta is a totally different ball game... 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MUFC said:

Mushrooms, ground pepper, minced garlic cloves & shallots, salt, parsley, and cheese (I use different sorts depending on what I've got around).