talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cooking

football forum

On 15/07/2021 at 11:49, Tommy said:

Made another Ragù alla bolognese.

Started with a simple sofrito (chopped onions, carrots and celery) sautéed in butter and olive oil, added ground beef and a bit of pork which I extracted from Salsiccia. Deglazed with red wine, whole milk, added some tomato paste and beef stock and cooked it for 3 1/2 hours until it had the right texture. Rounded up with some salt and black pepper, served with parmigiano reggiano. As original as it gets. :Italy:

IMG_20210715_144617.jpg

Make me pasta plz

• Like 1

On 15/07/2021 at 19:49, Tommy said:

Made another Ragù alla bolognese.

Started with a simple sofrito (chopped onions, carrots and celery) sautéed in butter and olive oil, added ground beef and a bit of pork which I extracted from Salsiccia. Deglazed with red wine, whole milk, added some tomato paste and beef stock and cooked it for 3 1/2 hours until it had the right texture. Rounded up with some salt and black pepper, served with parmigiano reggiano. As original as it gets. :Italy:

IMG_20210715_144617.jpg

Do you mix Olive Oil with your pasta before serving to stop it from going dry/sticky?

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Do you mix Olive Oil with your pasta before serving to stop it from going dry/sticky?

Nope. Just stir it a couple of times while it cooks so it usually doesn't stick. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

How chillies came to rule the world’s cuisine

Genomics proves that the popularity of chillies has been a question of taste.

GettyImages-849850908-1200x.thumb.jpg.a8e91b4936f32e8f8092695b0070d3cd.jpg

The expansion of chilli peppers around the world changed the face of culinary cultures. Now a team of researchers has mapped this journey with genomics and found that spiciness was a driving factor of trade and desirability.

Capsicums and chillies belong to the Capsiceae tribe, which is also sometimes called bell peppers or chilli peppers. Before chillies arrived in Eurasia, peppercorns from the unrelated Piperaceae family were the major source of pungent spice in their cuisine.

A team of researchers, led by Pasquale Tripodi at the Italian research institute CREA, analysed the genomes of multiple species of capsicums and chillies and found that certain genomic regions responsible for pungency and spiciness were found non-uniformly around the globe, where they were more abundant in some regions than others regardless of trade routes, suggesting that there was choice about which chillies to trade – they didn’t just trade all chillies everywhere.

“A large factor in [chillies’] initial appeal was certainly its pungency, especially in non-tropical Europe where hot spices were rare and imported black peppercorn was expensive,” says Rabanus-Wallace.

Read more: Too much chilli could lead to memory loss

The genomic lineage confirmed that only specific chillies found their way to Europe and Africa from the Americas via boat between the 15th and 18th centuries. From there, they found their way across Eurasia as neighbouring regions traded via routes, such as the Silk Road, very quickly.

“The results reflect a vision of [chillies] as a highly desirable and tradable cultural commodity, spreading rapidly throughout the globe along major maritime and terrestrial trade routes,” says Mark Timothy Rabanus-Wallace from IPK Leibniz Institute, Germany, who co-led the study, published in PNAS.

On the other hand, South/Mesoamerica, Eastern Europe, and some parts of Africa had unique regional chillies that didn’t appear to have been traded to other places. This is because they may not have had traits perceived as desirable.

The team were able to analyse vast numbers of genomes because of international collaboration between genebanks – genetic libraries – from 130 countries.

“We conducted a huge genomic scan of over 10,000 pepper (Capsicum spp.) samples from worldwide genebanks and used the data to investigate the history of this iconic staple”, says Tripodi.

With this data, the team compared genomes of chillies to assess genetic similarities to build a capsicum family tree based on migration.

?id=161595&title=How+chillies+came+to+rule+the+world%E2%80%99s+cuisinehttps://cosmosmagazine.com/history/civilisations/how-chillies-came-to-rule-the-worlds-cuisine/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Tommy said:

Made my very own Tatziki for the first time today. It's surprisingly easy. Letting it chill in the fridge overnight. Also letting some chicken marinate overnight Gyros-Style. 

homer-simpson-the-simpsons.gif

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, MUFC said:

What would you say is your signature dish?

I'd say either rosemary-garlic-lime shrimp (I have a few ways to cook shrimp, but this one is by far my favourite) or a peppercorn-crust steak. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, MUFC said:

What would you say is your signature dish?

Indian-spiced minced lamb with small diced potatoes and peas, home-made naan bread and a dip on the side (optional).  

It's quite easy but I've mastered it and the missus and I love it. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Stan said:

Indian-spiced minced lamb with small diced potatoes and peas, home-made naan bread and a dip on the side (optional).  

Keema.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

How long does the naan take to bake?

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Spike said:

How long does the naan take to bake?

Depends if you bake them in the oven or cook them on an cast-iron pan.

We use the latter (same for chapattis). They only take a couple of minutes each side (if that) once the pan is burning hot. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Depends if you bake them in the oven or cook them on an cast-iron pan.

We use the latter (same for chapattis). They only take a couple of minutes each side (if that) once the pan is burning hot. 

Is a chapatti the same as a roti?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The fuck is that giant wooden spork in that kitchen utensils jar?

Yes this is what to take from that photo. 

Also why is there so much mess?! Just snap the spaghetti in half and put it in the pan.